Help connecting components

J

jrneill

Audiophyte
Hi,

I would like to see if some of the experts here can help me correctly connect my theater system. I'm new to the audio/video community and I would like to make sure I connect everything properly to gain full advantage of my system.
I have the following:
Comcast motorola cable box - DCT6200
Oppo DV981 - DVD player
Onkyo SR800 HTIB
Samsung 42" Plasma - HT-4254

Any help you all could share with me would be greatly appreciated!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'll guess the HTiB doesn't have HDMI, so I'd go HDMI from the Oppo to the TV, optical or coaxial digital to the receiver. I would probably do the same for the cable box. I couldn't find info on that Plasma, is is 720p or 1080p?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What I found on the Onkyo and the cable box is that neither has HDMI, but both have component video (three RCA jacks for video). The TV appears to be 720P.

If you want to be able to switch video sources using the receiver, I'd recommend using component video for the connections (I'm assuming the Oppo has that). So, connect the cable box to the Onkyo using component video, connect the Oppo to the Onkyo using component video, and then connect the component video out on the Onkyo to the input on the TV.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I read a review of that box that said it does have DVI, but if it isn't a HD box, then component is all you really need. Not sure if the review was of the correct box or not though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I read a review of that box that said it does have DVI, but if it isn't a HD box, then component is all you really need. Not sure if the review was of the correct box or not though.
You are correct! I downloaded the manual, and it does have DVI. The picture on Motorola's website for that box is incorrect. I just looked at the picture.

J

jrneill

Audiophyte
The cable box has DVI and is HD
oppo has hdmi
Samsung 4254 is 720 and has 3 hdmi
Onkyo sr800 is pass thru

Last edited:
OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
Yep, connect video directly to the TV to get the best picture (and in the case of the Oppo, it's apparenly the only choice). I would recommend getting two HDMI cables, and use an HDMI to DVI adapter for the cable box. Then, when you no longer use DVI, you can toss the adapter in the drawer and still have a viable HDMI-HDMI cable. Those parts are available from monoprice, among others on the web. I just saw a 6' HDMI cable at Radio Shack for $50 -- way, way too much; don't fall for that business at your local shop, including Best Buy, Circuit City, et al.

If your Onkyo is doing pass through and you want to switch through it, grab one more cable.

Audio connections go from the cable box and the Oppo to the Onkyo using a digital connection -- either coax or optical (both will be a single cable, not the red/white pairs).

That should pretty much do it.

Good luck.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I really got messed up on this one. Sorry! :eek:

I'll stick with my story that Motorola has the wrong picture on their site, but I accidently looked up the Onkyo TX-SR800...not the HTIB system. The TX-SR800 has no HDMI, but (as you said) the HTIB system does have it.

Sorry for the confusion that I might have caused.

J

jrneill

Audiophyte
If I follow you correctly I would run DVI/HDMI cable from cable box to TV.
HDMI from Oppo to Onkyo.
Optical from cable box and Oppo to Onkyo
And HDMI from Onkyo to Samsung Plasma

Last edited:
N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
From looking at the website, the Onkyo had 2 hdmi inputs and one output. First you should return your your cablebox and ask for one with HDMI. Its free and you can do it whenever you want. Then run the cablebox and the Oppo DVD through the receiver with the HHDMI and out to the TV. But if the receiver upconverts then all you need is one HDMI cable to the TV and component cables to the receiver.

OttoMatic

OttoMatic

Senior Audioholic
If I follow you correctly I would run DVI/HDMI cable from cable box to TV.
HDMI from Oppo to Onkyo.
Optical from cable box and Oppo to Onkyo
And HDMI from Onkyo to Samsung Plasma
That's correct, except for the first line -- if you want to switch video through the Onkyo, run the cable box into the Onkyo as well.

Sorry if I was at all confusing.

Basically, you can connect all video directly to the TV

or

you can connect all video to the Onkyo and then the Onkyo to the TV.

Either way will work, but switching video through the Onkyo may give a little more convenience (and require one extra cable).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis