Help choosing my First HT Setup.. Come in and give suggestions

G

GomGom

Audioholic
Hi guys, I finally made my mind to get my first HT system. I live in an apartment so I'm not planning to get 5.1 yet, only 2.1 for now (subwoofer may come later).

First, I wanted to get KEF iQ7 but due to my financial condition couple months ago, I decided not to buy them yet. Then, I read couple reviews saying that Axiom and tSc make great speakers for low budget buyers. After couple weeks researching about them, I found out that DT Studio Monitor 450 is on sale at 6ave.com and I heard good reviews on the Def Tech owner thread. So I decided to try them out.

That DT SM450 has 10" pressure driven subwoofer, do I still need to get an additional subwoofer? I would like to get theatrical sound like a theater but of course, I cannot expect to get what $10K system sound.

I don't have anything as of now and would like to buy decent receiver under $400 and also the wiring. I require HDMI input and output, and open for 5.1 system (just in case I upgrade it to 5.1). I'm consider Onkyo 606, Yamaha, and Denon. I don't know about Marantz, are they good? If they are, is the 3001 is comparable to Onkyo 606 or Yamaha RX-V465? Where should I buy speaker wires? What else do I need to hook up my DVD player and my CRT TV?

Also, if anyone has any input about DT Studio Monitor 450, please give some feedback and review about them. I know that I should listen to it before purchase, but I cannot find a local dealer that carry DT so I need honest reviews of that speakers.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I found out that DT Studio Monitor 450 is on sale at 6ave.com and I heard good reviews on the Def Tech owner thread. So I decided to try them out.

That DT SM450 has 10" pressure driven subwoofer, do I still need to get an additional subwoofer? I would like to get theatrical sound like a theater but of course, I cannot expect to get what $10K system sound.

If they sound good to your ears, that's all that matters. As for a passive sub or powered in a floor standing speaker, it is not a replacement for a good subwoofer by any means. As for avrs, search the forum for some good suggestions, including the "deals" forum and get the one the features you need. As for cables look at monoprice.com or bluejeans cables for those solutions.

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
Although I listen to music, almost exclusively, in stereo, I can tell you I've had good success with Onkyo with a stereo set up. So, I can give a thumbs up on the 606. Onkyo seems to be a good value brand. My first receiver was a Yamaha many years ago. It has been trouble free all these years and is still doing yeoman's duty in my wood shop. I've never had a Denon, but many have found them good. So, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the receivers you're looking at.

I've not had any experience with the speakers you've mentioned. I'm sure others will chime in.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GomGom

Audioholic
Do you think that Yamaha RX-V465 is a better choice compared to Onkyo 506 (606 is more expensive) or the same price of Denon and Marantz?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis