Help!!! Audio only working in 5ch enhancer mode

J

johncreasy

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I have a yamaha htr 3064. I'm a noob and don't know much about surround sound. I set it up with a basic setup, speaker distance etc. I left it on movie-standard mode. It worked great until one day I came down and suddenly the audio only worked on 5ch enhancer. It's the only mode it will work on. It sounds very muffled on every other setting and can barely hear any voice audio. While using the 5ch mode it won't play out of the center speaker but the sub and front L/R and rear L/R all work. It is possible somebody played with the settings by accident but I just can't figure it out. I read through the manual and tried to reset but when I did that I noticed the receiver won't go to standby mode. It just shuts off and doesn't display anything on the receiver. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
You need to find the channel level settings and bring the Center channel back up to where you like it. Alternatively, if this doesn't work, I suppose it is possible that the wire going from your center speaker to the AVR has gone bad/came loose on one of the ends.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
check all the cables and you might need to do a factory reset on avr
HOW to - should be in your avr's manual

J

johncreasy

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. The center speakers works in the other settings. It's just the muffled, barely any audio coming from it like all the other speakers in those modes. But when I switch to 5ch enhancer all work great except for the center.

The manual states to put the receiver in standby mode as part of the first step to reset it. Every time I try to put it in standby mode it just shuts off completely and nothing displays on the front of the receiver.

So frustrating....there has to be some reason it only works in 5ch enhancer. I tried to look up what exactly the 5ch enhancer mode is but to no avail.....

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, John, and welcome to the forum.

The standby mode on your Yamaha will look like it's off. When you attempted to access the "Advanced Setup" menu, did you try pressing the power and "Straight" buttons on the front of the unit after turning it off, or did you just stop when it appeared to be off? If you didn't try pressing those buttons, give that a try. It's explained on page 55 of your owners manual.

J

johncreasy

Audiophyte
Yupp, I tried that and it doesn't do anything. The first time the sound stopped working on the other settings was right after I put in the first blu-ray movie on the system. Was wondering if perhaps it changed a setting automatically. I'm not ruling out someone in the house changed a setting by accident either. I'm not really sure how putting a blu-ray in would effect it. I put the movie in the PS3. I have it hooked up with 1 optical cable from the tv to the receiver. I have the PS3 to the tv with HDMI.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yupp, I tried that and it doesn't do anything. The first time the sound stopped working on the other settings was right after I put in the first blu-ray movie on the system. Was wondering if perhaps it changed a setting automatically. I'm not ruling out someone in the house changed a setting by accident either. I'm not really sure how putting a blu-ray in would effect it. I put the movie in the PS3. I have it hooked up with 1 optical cable from the tv to the receiver. I have the PS3 to the tv with HDMI.
you should connect hdmi to receiver and from there hdmi to tv.
otherwise you are missing HD audio codecs and potentially some new PS3 DRM doesn't allow decode hd audio to be sent by toslink (optical cable)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yupp, I tried that and it doesn't do anything.
I agree - that's odd. How long did you hold the two buttons down when you tried?

Also, you can try unplugging it for at least 30 seconds and then plugging it back in. That can help reset issues with the microprocessor.

J

johncreasy

Audiophyte
Thanks!!!

As embarrassed as I am to come back and admit it....I got it. I checked the wires again and I must have missed that the center speaker positive side wasn't fully in. I still don't understand why that would have thrown off all the other speakers except in 5ch enahancer mode but that's probably because I don't know much about surround sound systems. Thanks for the replies..... I'll pay it forward.

@boredsysadmin....so I should replace the optical cable with HDMI?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As embarrassed as I am to come back and admit it....I got it. I checked the wires again and I must have missed that the center speaker positive side wasn't fully in. I still don't understand why that would have thrown off all the other speakers except in 5ch enahancer mode but that's probably because I don't know much about surround sound systems. Thanks for the replies..... I'll pay it forward.

@boredsysadmin....so I should replace the optical cable with HDMI?
Yes. PS3->hdmi->AVR->hdmi->TV... spdif can passthru 7.1 lpcm, but letting hd audio pass-thru unmolested on hdmi and you wont need to do any audio modes anymore

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis