Help an old guy set up system based on headphones.

D

dgvoyles

Enthusiast
Thanks. I plan to demo a few different headphones. I'll research the Denon 3910. I'll also be mindful of the Schitt info. Appreciate all the info.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
I need to add that I didn't realize the Cambridge CD player had gone up that much in price. With the 549.00 price tag I would definitely look at the Marantz CD5004 or NAD C515BEE. They are about 200.00 cheaper and would sound the same as the Cambridge. You could then stick this money into better headphones.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I still think the Marantz SA8004 might be exactly what you need even though it hits near the top of your budget. Besides being a first rate CD (and SACD) player, it has digital inputs for computer based playback. There are very few CD players that do this and they are expensive. Plus you can connect an ipod digitally to the usb port on the front which is also a nice plus esp. if you want to use an ipod rather than a computer for your digital files. It runs $1k but you can hunt around for an open box unit for less; still that won't leave a big budget for your headphones. You can pick up one from a company that has a generous return policy and see what you think. Here are the specs: Marantz US | SA8004

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks and you're right I do need to think it through. What I want is to sit in my chair with headphones on and listen to classical chamber music, small group jazz and female vocalists with chamber size backing. I would certainly be more comfortable with a CD player as my source, this is what I know. My music collection is going to be built from scratch because most of my current hundreds of cd'S are ROCK. I have looked at the Musichall cd15.2 and Cambridge Azur 351C and think both would be appropriate for the music I intend to listen too, both have pretty good reviews. If I add a headphone dac/amp under $200. and headphones like, or comparable to, the HD600 wouldn't it be a good sounding system. Most all the CD's are going to be demonstration, or near, quality.You mention adding a DAC but wouldn,t the DAC in the headphone amp suffice.
I appreciate everyone's input and would like final input on what I have suggested here. Be honest, if this would be crap let me know. Unfortunately $1000-1200. is my max. Thanks again.
I'm not a big believer in spending $500 or $1000 on a CD player when you can buy a $150 CD-DVD player that sounds exactly the same. It's just reading bits and bits can't read labels or price tags :rolleyes:. I'd put that money into the amp.

Not all headphone amps have built in DACs, most do but not all. Some manufacturers want you to buy their $250 DAC and their $250 headphone amp so just know that going in and pick what you like. A plus would be an optical input on the DAC or DAC/Amp to connect to the optical output of the player (assuming it has one). Those HD-600 will sound amazing with any source that can handle very high impedance headphones and feed them enough power and I just drive mine off the headphone jack in my receiver.

You'll probably eventually want to switch to ripping and storing your music on a computer so I recommend making a habit of ripping your CDs to FLAC for some future day and to act as a backup to the CD. That way it's not a painful process later and a scratched CD can be burned/replaced almost as fast as grand kids can scratch them. :p

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I still think the Marantz SA8004 might be exactly ... It runs $1k but you can hunt around for an open box unit for less; still that won't leave a big budget for your headphones.
This just does not make sense given the OP's budget.

I'd recommend the OP spend $600-800 on headphones and $200-400 on player/DAC/Amp rather than the other way around.

D

dgvoyles

Enthusiast
Thanks again. To clarify, just how important is the CD player to the sound quality I will get from this set up (cd player/headphone amp/headphones). If this is not a real issue I can get a Marantz CD5004 (350.), Schiit Magni (100), and have $550 plus left for the headphones. Let me say from what I read on line with my music preferences the Senn 600 sounds great at $400. but I would pay more for better sound in return. Thanks for more input.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I would go ahead and get the 600's.. Most places you get them from will let you return them if you don't like them.. You have to wonder at what point you aren't going to notice a difference in sound with these high end head phones.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The CD player is important in that it needs to have an excellent DAC + pre amp implementation (to give you pristine analog out signal). If you want reference quality performance in the $500 range, look at previous generation flagship players. For example, the Denon 5910 reviewed here and the AH review said, "Unsurpassed audio performance". It originally sold for $4000 and now available for an asking price of $650. (IMO, the Denon 3910, available on Audiogon for $250 is more than good enough. I had it before and in use, analog audio was crystal clear.)

In a different thread Bikemig recommended the Objective2 headphone amp. I whole heartedly recommend this product and am remiss for not having remembered it. The designer has a long blog post detailing its design goals and the O2's measurements compared to other products. For what it's worth, here is a subjective write up on CNET.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
You should choose your headphones first, as these will have the greatest impact on sound, and they will dictate some of your other choices. If the headphones you choose are easily powered you may not need an external amp.
For headphones I'd recommend looking into Akg K(not Q) 701 & 702, Beyer Dynamic DT880, and the Senn 600 & 650 in your price range. When I was auditioning headphones I ended up with the Akg k701s as I felt they were the best value.

Personally I'd stay away from used CD/DVD players. Belts and motors are bound to wear, and I don't think there's enough difference in sound quality in expensive used vs. mid level new to make them worth it.

D

dgvoyles

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice on the JDS 02. I read the review and sounds very good. This is considered a warm amp, I guess. The Senn HD600 is referred to as barely warm but close to neutral. I assume these two would pair well.
I'm not interested in a used CD player. I was considering the Marantz 5004 now as I heard it had a good DAC. Does anyone have any experience with this. Also, this CD player is described as warm. If I added it to the Senn and JFDS would I be getting to warm for the Classical Chamber music I like? I know I come up with a new question for every answer I receive but this process is really helping me a lot. Please keep it up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis