help a noob set up Home theater systems.

S

soundnoob612

Audiophyte
I bought a Klipsch vf-36 package deal at best buy about a year ago before I knew about rf series. I like a really bright sounding speaker and the vf's are the best sounding speaker I've ever heard. I havent compared to anything though except a few other ones at best buy at the time. I can't even imagine what the rf series sounds like. I am considering adding a pair to my setup. Do the rf series sound less bright?

Anyways my story is I bought a house a year ago from a tiny apartment and bought a whole bunch of stuff on black friday and I'm not sure I paired the right receivers with my speakers.

My main theater room consists of:
-pair of vf-36 150-600watt 8ohm
-vc-25 center 75-300watt 8ohm
-pair of vs-14 surrounds 50-200watt
-rw-12d woofer
-Denon avr-791 90watt x 7 @ 8ohm/125watt x 7 @ 6 ohm
-mitsu 82" 3d dlp

Upstairs is a much smaller space so I chose design over sound and picture quality.
-Quintets
-pair of satellites 50-200watt 8ohm
-center 75-300watt 8ohm
-Jamo 8" woofer(don't feel this woofer is worthy of me getting up to look at the model number...)
-Denon avr-591 75watt x 5 @ 8ohm/120watt x 5 @ 6ohm
-Samsung 60" 8000 series

Upstairs(wintertime) bedroom:
-Pioneer SP-PK21BS consisting of
-4 bookshelf speakers SP-BS21-LR only says 80watt max 60hm
-center SP-C21 130watt max 6ohm
-SW-8 woofer
-Need Receiver...
-Samsung 60" 8000 series

Downstairs(summertime) bedroom
-piece'o crap Samsung Blue Ray/5.1 in a box system I got on blackfriday for half price at 200 bucks that I want to replace. Cannot get rid of cheap echoing sound...
-Panasonic 65" Viera

[Question #1] If I'm using the 791 7.1 channel receiver for a 5.1 system, am i wasting power or will it use the unused 2 channel's power for something thats plugged in?

I have no idea how to pair a receiver to speakers. Some places I read say to get about 10% more power than whats required. Some places say to get somewhere between the low and high wattage rating. Then I read that theres really no regulations for companies that put wattage rating on receivers and that the rating isnt always accurate. Then there is the ohm thing, I'm so very confused...

I notice that when I get above about 85% volume on my main theatre setup the receiver shuts off after 5-10 min.

[Question #2] Is this because its not powerful enough or because of ventilation? It's sitting on carpet at the moment with other compenents stacked on the sides with nothing on top of it. 85% is plenty deafining but quite often I get in the mood to try to damage my ears and there cannot be too loud as long as its clear.

[Question #3] How do you pair a receiver to your speakers when there is a big difference in the max power each speaker can take like in my main theater setup?

[Question #4] What wattage receiver would be ideal for my main theatre setup?

[Question #5] What is the ideal wattage receiver for my Pioneer SP setup?

[Question #6] What is the ideal wattage receiver for my Quintet setup?

I'm not sure if i should replace my main theater receiver with a bigger one and use the 791 from there for my Pioneers or if that 791 is adequate for my main room and I should buy a suitable receiver for the pioneer's.

I am also considering adding a pair of rf-82's to my main room but i'm too scared to start to try to learn about bi wiring and bi amping... If I do that then maybe I can use the 791 for the pioneers if I need more power.

Another thing I am considering is moving my whole main setup audio system into the bedroom to replace the samsung in a box 5.1. Then getting all reference series for my main. I have a really bad case of speaker envy after reading everything about how good they are and how bad my icon series are... I just can't imagine they can sound so much better. I'm assuming they just have more bass but like I said I never heard anything better than what I have...

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I bought a Klipsch vf-36 package deal at best buy about a year ago before I knew about rf series. I like a really bright sounding speaker and the vf's are the best sounding speaker I've ever heard. I am considering adding a pair to my setup. Do the rf series sound less bright?

I am also considering adding a pair of rf-82's to my main room but i'm too scared to start to try to learn about bi wiring
No, they do not - the RF sounds somewhat brighter to me.

Do not worry about bi-wiring, that would be the same thing as
knocking on a door, and nobody is there to answer.:)

Last edited:
D

DrBoost

Audiophyte
I'll agree that the rf's do sound a bit brighter. But, be aware that the sound will change over time as they break in.

S

soundnoob612

Audiophyte
Ty, I appreciate your resposnses very much, although it makes me regret my purchases even more.

However, I still need the answers to my numbered questions if anyone can please help me out.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
[Question #1] If I'm using the 791 7.1 channel receiver for a 5.1 system, am i wasting power or will it use the unused 2 channel's power for something thats plugged in?
Typically receivers use a shared power supply which means that if you aren't using all 7 channels that are amplified, the power supply can use the excess power for the speakers which are connected and because there isn't as much load on the power supply it will help the receiver last longer.

Generally, there is no such thing as 'to much' power. If you don't use what you have, it may be wasted power, but having extra power is generally a good thing. Still, audio in not linear in terms of power to audio level and speakers respond differently, so the difference between a 20 watt amplifier, and a 200 watt amplifier may be a lot less than you may believe.

[Question #2] Is this because its not powerful enough or because of ventilation? It's sitting on carpet at the moment with other compenents stacked on the sides with nothing on top of it. 85% is plenty deafining but quite often I get in the mood to try to damage my ears and there cannot be too loud as long as its clear.
When you work an A/V receiver, it needs plenty of ventilation. So, get it off the carpet a bit, and pull stuff away from the sides. Still, when driven hard, if may go into a safety shutdown just for protection. A larger, more powerful amplifier won't have this issue.

[Question #3] How do you pair a receiver to your speakers when there is a big difference in the max power each speaker can take like in my main theater setup?
Speakers should be matched to handle incoming audio loads. You can adjust power levels of the other speakers downward, but you really can't adjust the peak level downwards. Bottom line is that if you are trying to drive the speakers to hard, you will break the speakers more often than the receiver driving them.

Larger, better built speakers, will handle more power. Smaller speakers just won't do it.

[Question #4] What wattage receiver would be ideal for my main theatre setup?
An amplifier of this caliber wouldn't be inappropriate...
Emotiva Audio XPA-5 Five Channel Power Amplifier

[Question #5] What is the ideal wattage receiver for my Pioneer SP setup?
About any Denon A/V receiver would be fine.

[Question #6] What is the ideal wattage receiver for my Quintet setup?
Same as number 5 - any should do fine.

If you have a need for loud audio, then you will want to focus on quality speakers, and then discrete amplification which provides sufficient power to those speakers. Smaller speakers, like the Quintets, will sound good at lower volumes, but they will NOT deliver as volume is turned up. They simply can't do it - it's not what they were designed for.

Even getting a higher quality sound from a speaker doesn't mean that it is designed to play loud. Generally more drivers and larger size help to create more sound, and there are certainly speakers out there which can deliver if that's your goal.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
^^^^
"When you work an A/V receiver, it needs plenty of ventilation. So, get it off the carpet a bit, and pull stuff away from the sides. Still, when driven hard, if may go into a safety shutdown just for protection."

X2
Get it off the carpet, give it air - you should notice a difference.

The Denon will also drive the Pioneer speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis