Hello Audiolovers- Please help with this hardware question.

A

aqcmiu

Enthusiast
Hello everyone- I am excited for my future purchase. :) But I need your help and suggestions in deciding some hardware please.
I just auditioned these three speakers here.... PSB T6, Totem Arro, and the ENERGY cf 50. Yay!

I was actually impressed with them all and now I am having a difficult time choosing. This is will be 50/50 Stereo/Home Theater. My apartment is not so big but oh wells. I like clarity, deep, and crisp clear sounds. Currently I have a brand new Onkyo 708 rec and a Definitive Pro Sub 800 and Audioquest type 4 speaker cables and sub cables by Audioquest as well.

Now I need floor speakers (The three that I mentioned.) and CTR channel and surround. (Most likely will buy later) Should I add a AMP to my system? If I do Ill probably go with Onkyo 282, what do you think?

Please help me decide which one is best bang for your bucks, with everything considered. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your knowledge and time.

aqcmiu

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As you said, all 3 are very good.

If this were a multiple choice test and I have to pick right now, I would pick PSB.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello everyone- I am excited for my future purchase. :) But I need your help and suggestions in deciding some hardware please.
I just auditioned these three speakers here.... PSB T6, Totem Arro, and the ENERGY cf 50. Yay!

I was actually impressed with them all and now I am having a difficult time choosing. This is will be 50/50 Stereo/Home Theater. My apartment is not so big but oh wells. I like clarity, deep, and crisp clear sounds. Currently I have a brand new Onkyo 708 rec and a Definitive Pro Sub 800 and Audioquest type 4 speaker cables and sub cables by Audioquest as well.

Now I need floor speakers (The three that I mentioned.) and CTR channel and surround. (Most likely will buy later) Should I add a AMP to my system? If I do Ill probably go with Onkyo 282, what do you think?

Please help me decide which one is best bang for your bucks, with everything considered. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your knowledge and time.

aqcmiu
What I tell eveyone when auditioning speakers:

What I would do is to take a pad of paper with you, write down the make and
model of each speaker you audition and what you liked and disliked about the
speakers you were auditioning. Was the bass tight and deep or was it boomy and loose sounding? Were the mids life like or were they hollow or just too pronounced? Was the treble irritating and harsh or were they dark and not revealing or were they smooththat made you want to listen for more? How was the imaging?

Bring music with you that you are very familiar with and know quite well. To
make it easier to audition HT speaker systems, listen to the main speakers in 2
channel mode with music. Music is much harder to reproduce accurately then a movie soundtrack so if the speakers do well with music, then they will do well with HT. Speakers that do HT well may not do well with music. When auditioning the center channel of the same brand and series as the main speakers, pick a difficult source like an announcer that mumbles alot. If you can understand what the mumbling announcer is saying, then you have a good center channel.

I would go to speciality stores first and start auditioning speakers first
instead of going to the internet first. Once your likes are determined, you can
mention them here and fellow members can make internet brand recommendations based on your likes/dislikes. The specality stores are better setup acousticaly then the big box stores which will make auditioning a little easier. It will give you an idea of what you like in a speaker.

Keep track of what amp or receiver is powering the speakers you're auditioning. Try to get a receiver/amp that closest resembles what you have or want to get. It just reduces another variable when audtioning speakers.

One thing to keep note off. When auditioning speakers, make sure the volume
levels are matched between the diiferent speaker pairs because the louder
speaker pair will always sound better. Listen to levels that you think you
would listen to most of the time because thats how you are going to be using
them most of the time.

All three are excellent speakers BTW. There is no wrong choice. Does that make it any easier for you? :p

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
....as far as adding a M282 to the mix:
You won't see much gain in doing so.

I do still use the 282 in my den set-up, but only because I already have it and can't get much to resell it. It's a decent little amp, but it's basically just the amp section of a 100w receiver and nothing else. It will still only drive 6ohm speakers as your receiver already does.

A

aqcmiu

Enthusiast
How about this?

Hi there guys, thanks for your responses, I appreciated.
I guess any of these speakers are good enough for me especially for what I am doing. I know they are not Thiels or Devores. :x
But let say that I do not know anything about name brands and forget about the cost of them These three speakers that I mentioned, which are better by specs? I don't know how to tell the difference.

Thanks for your time and help.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
no no no!!! You had it right on your previous post!! :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just auditioned these three speakers here.... PSB T6, Totem Arro, and the ENERGY cf 50.

I was actually impressed with them all...
Is that a typo? The Energy CF-50? The Energy CF-70 only costs $250 each on amazon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why would you choose PSB over the rest?
Because for some reasons, those PSB speakers keep on having great frequency responses.

That is what you normally look for: on-axis and off-axis frequency response. There are other important measurements, but frequency response is the most important. It tells you how accurate a speaker is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis