D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Fella's, I'm thinking about getting a PC "gaming" headset.

I love the little Astro mix amp, and might get one some day, but I think the A40 headphones might be a bit over priced. They look the bees knees though and the carrying case would be nice.

The other headset I'm looking at is the Razer Carcharias. They get great reviews.

I don't want a USB only headset, it needs to have a normal headphone jack.

After relatively clean sound comfort is the #1 priority, and then build quality/durability is the second factor.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
My opinion:
Gaming headsets are generally crap. Buy a decent pair of headphones like the audio technica ath-ad700 - super comfortable, super awesome sound in fps games, and a clip on mic like the zalman zm-mic1.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Originally I wanted to go that route Phillip, and it's my fault for not prequalifying it, but I couldn't find anything that rocked my world.

I will only consider circumaural headphones. Anything else will iritate my ears quick fast and in a hurry.

I have some in ear headphones that are amazing for 2-3 hours and are great for working out or doing yard work etc. However if I have a lan party or work at the PC they don't cut it for that much use. Also having a seperate mic sucks. I've never had a desk mic that works in my setting.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Get the Astro Mixamp and some full sized stereo headphones. The beauty of the astro Mixamp is that it supports Dolby Headphone which is superb for xbox gaming. The astro mixamp also has connectivity for a 3rd party mic and supports independent game/voice control. The most easy thing to do is use a clip on mic with any pair of headphones. Or you could even do something like this in the link below which is even better.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446329/fragtality-s-audio-technica-ad700-boom-mic-mod

For open headphones I would suggest the Audio Technica AD700 or AD900.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Originally I wanted to go that route Phillip, and it's my fault for not prequalifying it, but I couldn't find anything that rocked my world.

I will only consider circumaural headphones. Anything else will iritate my ears quick fast and in a hurry.

I have some in ear headphones that are amazing for 2-3 hours and are great for working out or doing yard work etc. However if I have a lan party or work at the PC they don't cut it for that much use. Also having a seperate mic sucks. I've never had a desk mic that works in my setting.
The AD700s are circumaural and the mic, while separate, clips directly to the headphone cord so it's not far or hard to use or whatever :)

I've used a few "gaming headsets" and they've all been mediocre at best - the most recent set I have owned were the steelseries 5h v2 though.

If you really want an integrated mic, I'd look at the beyerdynamic mmx300, which are $350. I THINK (not sure) they are just dt880s with a mic - and the dt880s are also very well regarded as an awesome headphone for gaming.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Don't you find that the clip on mics don't pick up as much? I always find myself having to hold it do my face.

What are you using right now when gaming?

I'm not against spending a bit of changed, but those berey's definately step the game up a bit. I've never heard them and no one local sells them for me to audition them.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
You don't have to use a clip on mic, like is shown in the link above.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I play cs pretty often and I use what I recommend - the ad700s and a zalman clip mic :)

I've thought about doing the boom mic mod that minus has shown but I'm fine with the clip mic as it is.

I would like to order some DT880s but I keep spending money on other things :(

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Get the Astro Mixamp and some full sized stereo headphones. The beauty of the astro Mixamp is that it supports Dolby Headphone which is superb for xbox gaming. The astro mixamp also has connectivity for a 3rd party mic and supports independent game/voice control. The most easy thing to do is use a clip on mic with any pair of headphones. Or you could even do something like this in the link below which is even better.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446329/fragtality-s-audio-technica-ad700-boom-mic-mod

For open headphones I would suggest the Audio Technica AD700 or AD900.

Shazam. That's one heck of a mod. Again brings the price up like whoa, but it looks like it would work like a champ.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
Nice RC-10's Phillip!

I <3 the energy rosewood. :D

Minus, thank's for linking the pic..... You guys have me considering this as an option.....

This site is bad. Makes me spend teh lewt.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja

Unfortunately for me I'm a member of a keyboard forum and since registering there I've spent plenty of money on keyboards that should have gone to a/v equipment D:

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
What about the AD700's don't you like? Also why the DT880s?

Unless I just get pissy and buy a cheep heaset I think I'll might end up getting the mic/phones seperate option.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I like the AD700s just fine - I think they are an awesome pair of headphones, especially for the games that I play and the sub-$100 prices from amazon. The DT880s are just something I want to try based on user opinions from computer/gaming forums. I've heard they are just an all around better headphone, but at 3x the price they certainly should be.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
What about the AD700's don't you like? Also why the DT880s?

Unless I just get pissy and buy a cheep heaset I think I'll might end up getting the mic/phones seperate option.
I use the AD700 + Wired Astro Mixamp with my xbox 360. It is an excellent combo for gaming. Positives is the comfort level, wide soundstage, very clear sounding headphone, non fatiguing with great midrange. The only things I don't like is the color of the actual headphone and they are a bit shy on bass.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, they are fairly bass shy and I'm not all that fond of the pinkish metal on the outside of the earcups, but I can live with that.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
You loving the mixamp? It's been on my radar for a while. I almost purchased the a40 system just so I could get the walruss "gamer tags".

Grrr. No place to audition these. AKG701, AT AD700, or DT 880.

decisions decisions.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
You loving the mixamp? It's been on my radar for a while. I almost purchased the a40 system just so I could get the walruss "gamer tags".

Grrr. No place to audition these. AKG701, AT AD700, or DT 880.

decisions decisions.
The Astro Mixamp is the kicker. I particularly like Dolby Headphone. It is a great little device.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
You need optical out for dolby headphone don't you?

I'm so ticked off my sound card doesn't have that... My MOBO might though.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
You need optical out for dolby headphone don't you?

I'm so ticked off my sound card doesn't have that... My MOBO might though.
For the Xbox, yes you need optical for Dolby Headphone. For the PC, to take advantage of true Dolby Headphone you can either use a optical or coaxial connection. The mixamp can be powered by batteries or by USB on your computer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis