Headphones have spoiled me!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sadly I don't have much if any experience with live performances (no amplifications).:(

Tactile isn't necessary or beneficial in an apartment complex.;)

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don' thave much experience with headphones but I do own a couple pairs. I have a pair of Sennheiser RS-120 wireless phones that I use for watching TV at night. They sound good but don't have a great amount of bass response. I have listened to the RS-140s and they have much better bass response.

I also have a pair of Sennheiser CX300s that sound very nice. They have amazing bass response and a very smooth and detailed mid and high range. The bass response is really what struck me with the CX300s. I ended up plugging them into my Yamaha receiver and popping in U-571 just to hear the depth charge scene. :D These things can shake your head! Also, because they are basically ear plugs, they block out virtually all external noise. I used them on an airplane and barely had to turn the volume up on my player while all the engine noise was blocked out. I use these as ear protection when using power tools. Some times I don't even plug them into anything.

That's my limited headphone experience.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i have a question ...

do the wireless sennheiser headphones sound as nice as the wired headphones ... or are we giving something up?

i'm looking to buy headphones, something that won't break the bank ...

what specs am I supposed to be looking at?

something that will not exceed 40-50 bucks ...

i'm looking at sennheiser and behringer (this is easily available) headphones, any tips?

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
i have a question ...

do the wireless sennheiser headphones sound as nice as the wired headphones ... or are we giving something up?
I've never auditioned wireless headphones, so my thoughts might be all wrong. But I would think you would be giving something up. As with anything wireless you always have to contend with signal interference.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
i'm looking to buy headphones, something that won't break the bank ...

what specs am I supposed to be looking at?

something that will not exceed 40-50 bucks ...
The biggest spec is what your going to use the headphones for?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
The biggest spec is what your going to use the headphones for?
all around. but currently on my PC ... i use it for music, games, movies.

i have all these speakers and subs on this PC, but I can't turn them on because the baby is right at my back.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Great headphone for a lap-top, and portability. They are not good in noisy locations.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-px-100.php

Another excellent headphone for portability. Great for workouts also.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/koss/koss-ksc-75.php

Yet another excellent headphone. Comfort might be an issue.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/akg/akg-k-26-p.php

For full size headphones you could search and try to find a used pair of these.

AKG K 240

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/akg/akg-k-240-s.php

You should call and find out what the price is on these. Very comfortable.

Sennheiser HD 555

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/sennheiser/sennheiser-hd-555.php

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
ok, surfed a little ...

the sennheiser 555 is 99 bucks at amazon.com

additional requirements:
full size headphone (covers entire ear)
40-50 bucks would be great ... unless that sennheiser 555 is really that much better

follow up question, I'm gonna plug this into a yamaha av receiver, do i need a headphone amp with the 555?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
This is the impedance graph for the 555s:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=3&graphID[]=441&graphID[]=351&graphID[]=237

compared with a portable pair and a high-end pair that reportedly benefits from amping...

The 555's are pretty much intermediate. I know the 555s have a full-size jack, and really aren't designed for portable use. My guess is it would be fine with a decent reciever, but would have some problems with portable use or a laptop, etc.

The 555's for $99 seem like a darn good deal, especially if you're looking for a full size/over ear set...I was flirting with pressing the "place in cart" button myself, although I can't really justify it right now.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Bose Noise canceling headphones. "Amazing". :D:D:D ahahaa

I've always liked AKG headphones, not too expensive and they last a while. I haven't had much experience with Sennheiser, but I know they are of the same caliber of AKG.

Personally, I love my old anchient (by my definition) Sony MDR-V3. I've been using them for about 15 or so years, foam covering wearing off and tape to hold one earmuff on, but I still love them for editing.

T

Tod

Audioholic
The 555's are pretty much intermediate. I know the 555s have a full-size jack, and really aren't designed for portable use. My guess is it would be fine with a decent reciever, but would have some problems with portable use or a laptop, etc.
I'm not going to take the time to look it up, but I would expect that they just showed it with a 1/4" adapter. If their top lines like the 600 have a minijack, I would think their mid-line ones would as well. Also at least the 600s have an easily removable cable if you want to "upgrade" or more likely just need to replace. Maybe there are options there as well.

Click that purchase button.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
well, I placed an order for the 555's. should arrive within the week.
bought it locally for 121 bucks. can't wait for amazon (takes about a month if i order from the US)

ordered sight unseen.

never used headphones before.

follow up questions:

some user reviews say these are noisy for others near you ... if someone was 1-2 meters away, would it still be disturbing?

will a headphone amp give better performance than my yamaha AV receiver?

what "affordable" headphone amps do you guys look at?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Mike, I doubt you will have the headphones loud enough to bother your baby 1-2 meters away. Also, I doubt you will need an external amp for your use.

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
well, I placed an order for the 555's. should arrive within the week.

never used headphones before.
Congratulations. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of them. Now get ready for a whole new addiction. LOL :D

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Congratulations. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of them. Now get ready for a whole new addiction. LOL :D
let's see how good these are ... :)

i've never complained about the "free" earphones I get from sony walkmans, sony discmans, creative mp3 discmans, ipods ...

how much better are these 555's compared to those?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
let's see how good these are ... :)

i've never complained about the "free" earphones I get from sony walkmans, sony discmans, creative mp3 discmans, ipods ...

how much better are these 555's compared to those?
Alot better. :D

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I'm not going to take the time to look it up, but I would expect that they just showed it with a 1/4" adapter.
Nope, it's a 1/4" jack; they supply a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter (which makes for a big bulky connection to portables).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis