Headphone tech specs broken down.

T

Trev

Audioholic
I've run a few searches and I'm having trouble finding more information on what I'm looking for.

I'd like to better understand:

Impedance
Frequency Response
Sensitivity

With regard to headphones. Also, and this the rougher part... how these statistics are measured... if they can be accurately trusted, and which manufacturers can be trusted with their stats. I've also seen some manufacturers list different Frequency responses for each (L and R), is that common?

How does driver size affect the experience?

Thank you for any links you guys might have. I'm not a man of too much time, otherwise I'd love to read even a 50 pager so long as I got the jist of it.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Trev, my boy, you really should learn what "google" is.

It took me less time to go to Google, type in "headphone specs explained", hit enter, find this link, and read it than it probably took you to write your entire post.

And ther are many,many more articles out there. This site might be able to tell you everything you ever wanted to know, but don't expect them to break it down into convenient, bite sized pieces for you. They might make you read a little.

T

Trev

Audioholic
It took me less time to go to Google, type in "headphone specs explained", hit enter, find this link, and read it than it probably took you to write your entire post.

And ther are many,many more articles out there. This site might be able to tell you everything you ever wanted to know, but don't expect them to break it down into convenient, bite sized pieces for you. They might make you read a little.
I was on that exact page before I'd posted here, but I had a friend arguing with me that specs can't be trusted because many manufacturers provide inaccurate measurements and also that the manner of measuring these stats has not been standardized. I trust members here who've debated and hashed everything out over the first thing I read off of blogs. If you say it's accurate though man, I believe you.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You asked two separate questions:
a) What specs mean
b) can they be trusted

Besides lmgify assistance from Mark I'd like to help you answer 2nd question
Impedance and Sensitivity(or efficiency) are easiest to measure and most of often can be trusted almost always

That said, Frequency response is different story - too many parameters in the play to reliably trust it... For example spec like this one Fr: 20Hz-20Khz - Is absolutely useless since you don't know how loud it plays at the limits - if it's -20db at 20hz - you get the picture

Who CAN be trusted with measurements?? - Most often I trust 3rd party like HeadRoom: Stereo Headphones, Amps & DACs, Wireless, Noise Canceling, Ear Canal, Earbud, Audio Cables & Accessories, but they not the only ones out there...

It takes specialized equipment to do proper headphone measurements and many review sites lack this setup

T

Trev

Audioholic
Thx Admin.

Just kinda still having to really hunt down more material on it all. Even the links Markw included, the first of which I came across before posting, still leave me at a stand-still. I hope my question didn't bother or offend anyone. I can retract and continue trying to scrape online for answers.

It's just hard deciphering what info is reliable and who (not here, but on blogs) is just regurgitating fodder they've been fed by manufacturers.

Thank you both.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thx Admin.

Just kinda still having to really hunt down more material on it all. Even the links Markw included, the first of which I came across before posting, still leave me at a stand-still. I hope my question didn't bother or offend anyone. I can retract and continue trying to scrape online for answers.

It's just hard deciphering what info is reliable and who (not here, but on blogs) is just regurgitating fodder they've been fed by manufacturers.

Thank you both.
Learning Center - Products Equipment Reviews Specifications and Support | HeadRoom Audio

This pursuit of knowledge is (or should be) a fun learning experience. Enjoy it :)

T

Trev

Audioholic
I just wish to god I knew about this forum and these pages years ago. It kills me that I can't find the time to read all of these resources quickly enough.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis