Headphone - Rebuild

T

Trev

Audioholic
Hey guys,

Been a while. Week or two ago, my babies I've held for about 7-8 years finally caved under pressure. DenonDJ HP-1000s the hinge gave way. I've since replaced them with Blue's Mo Fi. I couldn't resist, regardless of the gimped sound stage given that they're for my office, isolation beyond any alternatives I've seen, and in line mic. A bit besides the point...

My HP 1000s were still great for me. Everyone's ears being different and all... they were MY personal best in affordable ranged and served me well. $800 Beyers were a negligible jump for me from them for the cost. This brings me round to the want to rebuild these headphones, salvaging the drivers, I want to re-foam them, and thinking on building a new wood housing with metal bones for the new framework of them.

So I ask, has anyone done anything like this? I've seen old Thunderpants do some pretty wild stuff and while I have no delusions that this DIY will sound anything of the sort, they may even wind up sounding terrible compared to their previous design... I'm on the side of "Why not?". My brother runs a metal shop and can get me any cut of any metal down to pins and pacemaker parts.

...but where to start? If you fellas happen to have any simple first time go DIY prints that you think would suit this I'd be very grateful. With access to the metal shop if you can think of normally complicated all metal band or architecture that I could just get spat out by a 3D printer equivalent of metal I'd be interested.

Hopefully this wasn't poorly written. I'm slightly less caffeinated than usual, and as always thanks for being so wizard with your knowledge and your art.

T

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis