Headphone amp or 2 channel hi-fi amp?

Dedicated headphone amp or amplifier audio port?

• Dedicated headphone amp

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Amplifier audio port

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Robert94

Robert94

Audioholic Intern
Currently I have a Cambridge Azur340a amplifier with B&W 685 S2 speakers. I am likely to buy some headphones and want them to be equivalent or better. I was thinking of getting some Sennheiser HD650 cans. My amplifier has a 1/4inch headphone jack. I was wondering if it would be suitable to run the headphones through this and what the difference between using this amp and a dedicated headphone amp would be? Will the quality be as good and is it easy to overload headphones using a 2 channel amp? On most amplifiers will the audio jack output less power than the 2 channel outputs at the back (I would assume so)?

I will try and contact the manufacturer about the final point.

Thanks in advanced for responses!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
since you already have the Azur, most definitely go for the headphones now. See how they work with the amp. You might be surprised.

There is a lot of ego-centric hoopla in this field and sometimes it costs a lot of money only to learn later that you didn't need to.

Naturally, headphone jacks don't send out the same power that the speaker outputs do. they ar e intentionally made that way. Headphones can't handle that much power. Headphones can only handle a certain amount of power and that's fine. Headphones don't have to fill a room with sound, only your ear canals.

If you find you don't like the sound with your Azur, then buy a headphone amp, but make sue you can return it if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

Last edited:
Robert94

Robert94

Audioholic Intern
Awesome, regarding the power I was just worried that it might deliver too much power, which is why I mentioned it. Thanks for the reply, I will heed your advice. I don't really want to buy a dedicated headphone amp anyway so I'm hoping that the amp I have will be equally as good at outputting from the headphone jack as it is for the 2 channel output!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Headphone section is separate from speaker section in any amp. Can it damage your headphones if you crank headphone section all the way is different story. But I would say you will get hearing damage before you damage your headphones, as long as you have the headphones in your head and not in table. I myself use the headphone section of my avr and I have been really happy with it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I believe, assuming you have a decent amp (and you do), you are much better off spending $250 on headphones than $150 on headphones plus $100 on a dedicated headphone amp!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis