Hdtv settings can you help explain

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
lg 65uh6150
Way more than I've delt with before. I couldn't find alot of info or even general guidelines to these settings. I somewhat saw a general opinion to keep them off or on a low setting, I still need to do a calibration, any solid recommendations? I hear Disney wow is spot on.

Smart picture mode
Hdmi ultra hd deep color
Dynamic contrast
Super resolution
Color gamut
Edge enhancer
Colorado filter
Gamma
Noise reduction
Mpeget noise reduction
Motion eye care
Trumotion
Real cinema

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Disney WOW! is a good calibration disc.

A great deal of what you listed is industry terms - Deep Color is support for additional colors beyond what has been supported for the last 50 years. We have moved from a standard called REC709 to the new REC2020 color support. This means more colors are available to be shown on the display, or at the very least, are supported by the inputs of the TV.

Smart picture mode would be an 'automated' setting to try to correct on the fly. I would avoid this because it may try to correct something that doesn't need correction. Turn it off.

Dynamic contrast automatically raises/lowers the back light of the display to artificially increase contrast. If you have a full array LED/LCD display than this could be done well, or with edge lit, it may be weaker. If you like how it looks, leave it on, or on a low setting, but if you see the dynamic contrast in action, and don't like it, turn it off.

Super Resolution Technology (SRT), I believe came from Toshiba, and is a way to sharper and deblur an image. It is a video processing technology. Once again, this is something you use if you like it, but it alters the original image, and some people don't like the way it looks.

Color gamut is how many colors are supported. This goes back up to the REC709 standard vs. the REC2020 standard. They are repeating themselves.

Edge enhancer should just be a different term for 'sharpness'.

I have never heard of 'Colorado Filter' - did you spell that right?

Gamma is the level of red/green/blue which is shown at different brightness levels on a display. The goal is to have even levels of all three colors at all brightness levels. This produces a smoother image. Typically this stays on default settings.
Read more here: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/what-is-gamma-20080511108.htm

Noise reduction can help with video that shows 'noise' in the image. It smooths it out some. This is very subtle, and not something I typically use. Once again, processing the original image.

Same with MPEG noise reduction.

Motion Eye Care? I have no idea. It likely, once again, is some sort of image processing. It's easy and cheap and provides a nice name on how they can hurt the original image.

Trumotion = more of the same video processing. This is LGs term for creative frame interpolation. It creates the soap opera effect that so many people hate, or love, depending on the person. I hate, hate, hate it. Others love it.

From what I can tell, Real Cinema should be enabled. Cripes, it shouldn't even be an option. It only applies when you are feeding the display a 24hz source, like a Blu-ray Disc, which shows 24 frames per second. It properly displays those 24 frames per second by repeating the frames several times. Typically using 5:5 pulldown (showing each frame five times, and the next frame five times). This is a good thing, so turn this on.

All of these definitions can be looked up via Google with far more detail than what I'm explaining, and I will take any corrections to my definitions without any issue at all.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Damn your good, thanks!

That was supposed to be color, not Colorado lol.

I'll definitely be saving this, awesome simple straight forward explanations. exactly what I was looking for.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis