HDTV 240 hz education Need Help

B

BEMGOLF

Enthusiast
I am looking to get another TV for my great room. This room is enclosed like a home theater, but most of the time I will be watching sporting events , TV shows and some movies. Also will be using my PS3 on it.

The room is 12 by 12 with one 32” door opening and two 2 ft x 4ft windows with shades. Lighting will only be 4 can in ceiling off each corner about 2 by 2.

There are really two TV’s that I have been looking at and would like to know if there is much difference or would I be able to tell any difference in picture quality?

What I would like is at least 60”LED , 240htz., at least 2 Hdmi ports.

My current TV is a 40 in Sony Bravia KLD - 40V2500 I really like it but this room I would like a bigger TV.

The two that I have been eyeing are:

Samsung UN60ES7500FXZA

Sharp Aquos LED TV

I will be buying this closer to the fall so I have time to save and obviously the tv prices will drop. What are your thoughts on these two Tvs and brands. I have read several reviews that say Samsung is king in TV’s right now but I know Sharp has been around for a while is it really that much better? Thanks..

B

BEMGOLF

Enthusiast
This us there right section for this question? Doesn't anyone have an opinion lol. O well thanks to whomever post first.

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
Wait until fall to choose your TV.
Models/quality and pricing can change more than a little.

Dont get confused by higher frequencies like 240Hz, 600Hz etc.
They are internal processing rates, not input or output rates and mean very little in any comparison.

Unless you get a very high price TV with 120Hz input (to get true 120Hz output, they are like hens teeth though), they will be around 60Hz max input.
Many 50/60Hz input TVs interpolate frames to give 100 or 120Hz output but this adds a video delay so may not be suitable for some uses, the feature can usually be switched off.

There are no mainstream TVs or monitors that do 240Hz, 600Hz, ... input/output.

D

dgkirkman

Enthusiast
rite now there isnt any input support thats any higher than 120 so watching tv,bluray or anything u wont c a difference,, BUT when watching 3D movies (bluray) u can tell the difference u need at least 240 (led) or 600 (plasma) for a more fluid picture.. what it is its the refresh rate of the frames..buy the samsung 240 htz 3D (led) u wont b disappointed whatever size u get..p.s. if u do get a 3d tv n want a home theater u need to make sure 2 buy a 3d supported tuner 2 run through..good luck

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
rite now there isnt any input support thats any higher than 120 so watching tv,bluray or anything u wont c a difference,, BUT when watching 3D movies (bluray) u can tell the difference u need at least 240 (led) or 600 (plasma) for a more fluid picture.. what it is its the refresh rate of the frames..buy the samsung 240 htz 3D (led) u wont b disappointed whatever size u get..p.s. if u do get a 3d tv n want a home theater u need to make sure 2 buy a 3d supported tuner 2 run through..good luck
There are no TVs that output @ 240Hz, 600Hz etc.
Those are for internal processing, not input and not output rates.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Impelled, I believe you are mistaken on this...

Generally a display advertising 120hz or 240hz is capable of displaying at the respective frame rate listed. It will do this with multiple frame flashes or will do this with motion interpolation to try to clean up an image and to reduce LCD motion blur. It (generally) only accepts NTSC/ATSC standard broadcast resolutions of 480i/60 to 1080p/24/60. But, some PC and non-standard resolutions are almost always accepted and should be detailed in the owner's manual.

For the original poster: Get a plasma.

Your room and situation sounds ideal for the best image quality you can get, and that comes from a plasma, not from an LCD. While you see plasmas advertised wtih 600hz subfield drive, it's truly marketing junk for plasma which has never needed frame interpolation to deliver the best image quality.

The VT series from Panasonic and the 8000 series from Samsung will give you a 64" or 65" image for a similar price to the 60" LCD models.

Samsung delivers about the best looking LCD image on the market, so they will look a bit better than the Sharp displays if you insist upon going with a LCD. But, given your room setup, I would strongly advise you against LCD, and would recommend a plasma for your setup if at all possible.

I

Impelled

Junior Audioholic
Impelled, I believe you are mistaken on this...

Generally a display advertising 120hz or 240hz is capable of displaying at the respective frame rate listed. It will do this with multiple frame flashes or will do this with motion interpolation to try to clean up an image and to reduce LCD motion blur. It (generally) only accepts NTSC/ATSC standard broadcast resolutions of 480i/60 to 1080p/24/60. But, some PC and non-standard resolutions are almost always accepted and should be detailed in the owner's manual.
Frame interpolation isnt true 120Hz support and sometimes the interpolation is next to useless and introduces video lag.
This isnt what I am discussing.
Check my reply to dgkirkman you answered, he was talking about "input support"

The only true 120Hz TVs (at full 1080p res) I know of are Back Projectors using Dual DVI not HDMI.
HDMI doesnt support 120Hz at 1080p.
It definitely doesnt support higher res at 120Hz+ nor higher refresh rates at 1080p.

Forgot to add.
The 240Hz and higher figures are not output frame rates, the highest interpolation I have seen is 120Hz.
600Hz on plasma is the rate the plasma cells refresh at and is independent of input and output refresh rates.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis