C

Cozmo

Audioholic
Hi,

I wanted to post about some issues I am having with an HD-A2 DVD player and see if anybody has any ideas.

The first player arrived about a month ago and no matter what I did, I could not get a HDMI signal on my TV (Toshiba HDTV). I sent the DVD player to Toshiba and they sent me a brand new one (player #2). This one unfortunately had the same problem, so back to toshiba it went. In talking with Toshiba, they told me they ran all diagnostic checks on the unit and it passes. They have also connected to a DLP/LCD and plasma TV without any issues. They are ready to ship it back to me since they are teliing me it is OK.

My TV is a 2 yr old Toshiba rear projection TV. It has 2 separate HDMI ports. I don't have anything connected to these currently but in the past had digital cable connected with no issues.

I've tried both HDMI ports with two separate cables, updated the firmware on the DVD player, switched between turning on DVD player and TV first, etc....

I've read about HDMI issues with this player but that supposedly has been fixed with firmware updates.

I'm ready to throw in the towel here. Is it possible both HDMI ports on my TV have gone bad at the same time? Toshiba tells me they think it is my TV. The TV vendor tells me they think it's the DVD player..

Short of buying another DVD player is there a cheap or quick and dirty test I can do on my TV?

Any thoughts?

-Coz

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You could pick up a cheap HDMI DVD player from BB/CC and plan to return it a week later to see if that works. If you don't want to do this, you could try a PS3... hear they play HD discs to with great HDMI results. ;)

SWHouston

SWHouston

Enthusiast
HDMI/Industrial Strength Copy Protection !

Don't know if any of you do business with this company, but from my experience, Crutchfield as a company, their Sales Advisor's, and the Management there, are beyond reproach. I've had several wonderful experiences with them, pleasant, informed, and willing to go to any extent to satisfy a customer. nuf said I guess.

Anyway, I get their Catalog, and see many very informative articles in it, and ran across this one, titled:
"The Ins and Outs of HDMI", which you can read for yourself at:
http://www.crutchfield.com/learningcenter/home/cables/hdmi.html

But, I'll copy/paste it here, and see if you think it has real big TEETH !

"Industrial-strength copy protection: This probably seems like more of a benefit for content owners like movie studios than for consumers, but it directly affects the quantity and quality of what we can watch — now, and in the coming years. HDMI's wide adoption is due in large part to Hollywood's demands for ever-stronger copy protection measures to prevent piracy. HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) is present on virtually all HDMI-equipped devices even though it's not officially part of the HDMI spec."

What do you think this means ?

Have a good Day ! :)

Last edited:
SWHouston

SWHouston

Enthusiast
no. 5,

I agree with you completly !

Plus, that sorta ticks me off ! I really don't steal stuff from copying disks or the like, but, that just rubs me the wrong way, somehow!

IF HDMI really works like they say, how does one use a DVR/HDD, you have to record the program, Video or Audio !

Has anyone tried this, been prevented from recording programs, while using HDMI ?

This is just one more issue, with the Feds coming down on us, for one reason after another.

Have a good Day ! :)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis