HDMI video cards? Audio?

B

Bandius

Audiophyte
I recently bought the Yamaha RX-V465 receiver, and love the idea of buying a harmony remote and switching my video and audio inputs at the same time, using 1 remote and never having to get off my recliner.

The problem is I use S-video to input into my tv from the graphics card on my computer, wich is upstairs and about 40 feet away. I also run the audio L/R cords with it that are plugged into one of the onboard audio jacks on my computer. (I have 2 sets of keyboards and mice hooked to it, one wired at the computer and one wireless upstairs at my recliner.)
The RX-V465 has no S-video jacks, so I want to switch to a video card with HDMI to output to my reciever, but I need to bring the audio in with it. Ive also seen cords with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other, and i hear it is the same digital signal on both types just different connectors? Either way I need some way of piping the audio into it, I have heard that ATI makes a video card with audio in it but they sound dated and I need a top notch card to feed my gaming addiction.
Any suggestions? should i be looking for some type of external converter to combine the audio and video before it gets to my reciever? I want great sound quality without sacrificing my frame rate.

Also what is the most popular, affordable surge protector to use? I was blown away when i was directed to monoprice for wire, hoping there is an equivalent?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
DVI - to -HDMI will not carry audio.
The exceptions would be if someone sells a converter box that let you plug in DVI and an audio connector of some sort and outputs HDMI. Most modern receivers should do this, I don't know if there is a cable that does.

Yes, many modern video cards have HDMI out, and yes, the ones I've played with put out audio via that connector. I have no idea how good it is, that will depends entirely on the encoder.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have heard that ATI makes a video card with audio in it but they sound dated and I need a top notch card to feed my gaming addiction.
Checkout ATI Radeon HD 5970 - they are equal in performance to GTX295 or GTX280 SLI - Be careful selecting 40ft HDMI cable - cheapest cable might not work. YMMV.
ATI cards in all 5xxx series support native bitstream of HD audio codecs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality-update-3/Far-Cry-2,1679.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis