- 4 Optical Out inputs, 1 optical out output
- Supports a signal of 1080p @ 120hz

Any advice where to look?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI switch

Herby,
I am not aware of any HDMI switches that also have optical audio. Also, new models are speced to HDMI 1.3 but 120 Hz is not standard. Are you aware that the HDMI cable caries the Video AND the Audio signal?

There are plenty of 4 input switches on the market. Monoprice sells a cheap one that might work for your application. Oppo, Impact acoustics, DVI gear and others offer higher quality versions for about $100.

H

Herby Versmels

Enthusiast
Herby,
I am not aware of any HDMI switches that also have optical audio. Also, new models are speced to HDMI 1.3 but 120 Hz is not standard. Are you aware that the HDMI cable caries the Video AND the Audio signal?

There are plenty of 4 input switches on the market. Monoprice sells a cheap one that might work for your application. Oppo, Impact acoustics, DVI gear and others offer higher quality versions for about $100.
Well, the problem is that I need to send video to my TV and Audio to my receiver. I also don't want to have to change inputs on multiple devices. The 120hz is one of the best features of my TV and I dont want to lose that if the switch only supports 60hz.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, the problem is that I need to send video to my TV and Audio to my receiver. I also don't want to have to change inputs on multiple devices. The 120hz is one of the best features of my TV and I dont want to lose that if the switch only supports 60hz.
What I do is switch the HDMI video with a switcher, and switch the audio with my AV preamp. It is barely an inconvenience.

W

Waveform

Audioholic Intern
But do you really have a 120 Hz source? I would think that your TV would take a 24Hz source and display it at 120 Hz without pulldown.

H

Herby Versmels

Enthusiast
Wave and BMX,

I think you're both right. Of course I don't have the background in this yet, but I did a lot of research today and the TV will convert to 120hz using what Samsung has branded it "automotion." Its good and bad actually. HD sports look great when the camera pans fast because there is no blur or judder. The bad is that movies shot in 24fps look....well they look like home movies. Hard to explain but if you watch a movie with a lot of special effects they look terrible.

So I'm thinking more about going with this brand of switch here: http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI switch 4port_toslink.htm

It has Optical and HDMI inputs. Much better price too. Any advice or gotchas for me to be aware of?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver or remote upgrade?

I wouldn't waste your time looking for an obscure HDMI switch with optical inputs. There are a couple easy solutions:

1. Get a universal remote (Harmony or URC) that will control your TV input, the HDMI switch, and the receiver input with macros. Connect video to the TV or switch box and audio to the receiver.

2. Invest in a new receiver. The Onkyo 805 and 606 models have 4 HDMI inputs. You will also be able to process the new audio formats from HD sources like BluRay. You can't do this with a digital optical or coax connection to the receiver.

3. Read your other thread about the HTIB. Save your money and uses component video for some of the sources like the cable or sat box. Same resolution as HDMI.

H

Herby Versmels

Enthusiast
I wouldn't waste your time looking for an obscure HDMI switch with optical inputs. There are a couple easy solutions:

1. Get a universal remote (Harmony or URC) that will control your TV input, the HDMI switch, and the receiver input with macros. Connect video to the TV or switch box and audio to the receiver.

2. Invest in a new receiver. The Onkyo 805 and 606 models have 4 HDMI inputs. You will also be able to process the new audio formats from HD sources like BluRay. You can't do this with a digital optical or coax connection to the receiver.

3. Read your other thread about the HTIB. Save your money and uses component video for some of the sources like the cable or sat box. Same resolution as HDMI.
Panny - I have the Onkyo HT-R560 model receiver. It has 3 HDMI inputs. I'll look into the remote option.

Just to verify....if my receiver is pass through, does that mean that I can't plug 3 HDMI into the receiver then have sound out the speakers while video is passed on to the TV?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HTIB features

Your HTIB basically includes a 3x1 HDMI switch. No HDMI audio processing or scaling, just pass through. Receivers in the >$400 price range start to include these features.

I would connect audio to the receiver, video to the TV or receiver HDMI switch and get a nice remote.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis