gweedo

gweedo

Audioholic Intern
My question is pretty simple.. I have a denon 3808ci and want to know if splitters are made to split the signal straight out of the directv box or can I split it at the reciever out?

reason I ask is the directv bill is so high we went to one hd box in the livingroom and I want to be able to watch tv or movies in the bedroom.. and on that note will I be able to watch in the bedroom with the reciever on mute? i don't need to blast the front room with sound as I am watching in a different room.. basically if I am getting the video through a hdmi there is sound right? so I can use the tv speakers instead of the 7.2 in the from room..

thanks..

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
A much simpler solution may be to use a component/digital audio balun to send the video and audio to your second TV via cat 5. HDMI is tough to split because of all the content protection that is built in. I share sources like what you are trying to do what I do is use component instead of HDMI for my bedroom.

The balun's I am using have inputs for component video and coax digital audio. I already have a cat 5 connection going to the bedroom from my AV rack. I use Muxlab 500050 but there are many models. Versions that are wall plates are also available.

Remember that for everything but a few pay-per-view movies that the best video quality is 1080i so you are not loosing anything going this route over HDMI.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
My question is pretty simple.. I have a denon 3808ci and want to know if splitters are made to split the signal straight out of the directv box or can I split it at the reciever out?

reason I ask is the directv bill is so high we went to one hd box in the livingroom and I want to be able to watch tv or movies in the bedroom.. and on that note will I be able to watch in the bedroom with the reciever on mute? i don't need to blast the front room with sound as I am watching in a different room.. basically if I am getting the video through a hdmi there is sound right? so I can use the tv speakers instead of the 7.2 in the from room..

thanks..
You will want to split it out of the DirecTV box 1st.

Here's a splitter that goes for $60. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=180-592
Plus you will need cabling.

Something to consider: Lets just guess (conservatively) that to do this right and make it look good you will have $120 in parts for the splitter, wall plates, cabling, etc. What's the monthly charge for each additional DirecTV box, $5(ish)? That means you will be paying UP FRONT costs = to 21 months worth of having a separate box in the other room. That doesn't seem like a smart, money saving investment to me. :confused:

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
A much simpler solution may be to use a component/digital audio balun to send the video and audio to your second TV via cat 5. HDMI is tough to split because of all the content protection that is built in. I share sources like what you are trying to do what I do is use component instead of HDMI for my bedroom.

The balun's I am using have inputs for component video and coax digital audio. I already have a cat 5 connection going to the bedroom from my AV rack. I use Muxlab 500050 but there are many models. Versions that are wall plates are also available.

Remember that for everything but a few pay-per-view movies that the best video quality is 1080i so you are not loosing anything going this route over HDMI.
Want to know a custom install secret????

Use 3 of these on both ends of a Cat5 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=151-280

And it will do component video just as well. Add 2 more & another Cat5 and do stereo audio.

Less than a $35 investment and it works perfectly well. If you put them into a wall plate, just label them R,G,B. We always punch them down in this manner...

Orange = Red
Blue = Blue
Green = Green
Brown = Control, Mono Audio, Not Used

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I will go ahead and say that within the last couple of weeks I split HDMI out of the output of a Denon 2311ci receiver. For both the PS3 and a DirecTV box and there were zero issues, but it is worth saying that the guys projector and TV were never on at the same time.

I used this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=7618&seq=1&format=2

I have also used these with great results:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10105&cs_id=1010504&p_id=6532&seq=1&format=2

So, without the CAT-5/6 it's about 80 bucks for the parts to do this and keeps you all digital in the system.

gweedo

gweedo

Audioholic Intern
That is the exact splitter I am looking into buying BMX.. plus a 50' cable.. but I want to make sure that running it out of the denon is going to work due to the dvd player and my PC is hooked up hdmi also..

I'm not just after the directv signal I want everything that is going though my denon.. would be easier if my denon had 4 outputs to go with them inputs!!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Receivers aren't designed like that, and splitters add costs for unusual needs.

The one I hooked up had a DirecTV and a PS3 (DVD/Blu-ray) running out of the receiver and both the PS3 and DirecTV could be split, with no issue at all, to the room. They had a projector/LCD TV setup in their rec-room space, so they needed the splitter.

It worked great and I have confidence that almost any gear hooked up to it would work just fine. Especially if one of the two TVs are off at the time.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
will I be able to watch in the bedroom with the reciever on mute? thanks..
I don't think so. If you mute the audio at the source that means that audio will be muted down the line. I know my processor does this. If I mute the audio at the processor I get no sound from my TV speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis