HDMI or Component connection?

1tribeca

Audioholic
I realize there's good/bad to both, but which would you prefer in the scenario of hooking up a basic HT...DVD, panel, receiver etc?

E

EddieG

Audioholic
I realize there's good/bad to both, but which would you prefer in the scenario of hooking up a basic HT...DVD, panel, receiver etc?
I'm probably the last person to be answering this, but from what little I know HDMI carries both audio and video. As for video some people say there is very little difference, and some say there is a noticeable difference. I posted a similar question on alt.tv.tech.hdtv a couple years ago asking about DVI vs. component.

The way I look at is this: If your equipment has HDMI, use it. You can find cables really cheap on ebay.

Eddie

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
It's just a matter of if you can use HDMI, go for it; other wise run component cables for video and then for audio run either coax digital or fiber optic, sound will be the same, video will be the same. Component passes HD signals just as HDMI does. If it works, HDMI is nice just since you have the one cable to deal with.

W

Wynbnt

Enthusiast
It depends on how for your equipment is from your display, the type of gear, and your budget. HDMI can sometimes be expensive at more than 50' and when you switch thru an inexpensive receiver problems can compound. Over 50' you might consider a video balun which will run HDMI over 2 cat 6e.( I like cat 6 for longer runs.)
I would hesitate to use inexpensive HDMI cables, especially if you can not pull a new one easily. I have had more issues with HDMI than component.
If you use component last post is correct to use digital audio to receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For short runs there won't be any difference with the exception of the bulk of typical component cables and having to run audio separate. HDMI issues tend to be device related (handshake), not cable related more often than not, unless you are talking long runs as mentioned above. In terms of audio, if not using HDMI, you will NOT get the current lossless audio formats, you will only get the "core" Dolby Digital and dts, so that could be a factor as well.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
:pI'm pretty sure HDMI has improved considerably since 2007! :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
:pI'm pretty sure HDMI has improved considerably since 2007! :p
Yeah, didn't catch that. Not sure where they are advertising or what, but so many new users on here recently.

W

Wynbnt

Enthusiast
Sorry, I am new to blogs. Good point. I will start looking at posting date.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis