HDMI Music file appliance

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
Hello all,

I haven't been on in a while but now I need some advice so I'm asking for some help from the experts. Here is my situation and what I'm looking for.

I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver. It supports USB (only 32GB) and network/pc connectivity. I have it configured on my network and it sees my PC share. The problem is it uses Windows Media Player (I hate). WMP does not allow the browsing of folders (it does but only from a view within WMP, not browsable). It sorts the music folders in to categories Artist, Album and Genre. It does not retain the folders. I cannot see many of the folders. I can eventually find the songs from the folders but that is WAY too cumbersome.

I got tired of swapping out USB sticks. Some are not even compatible.

So here are my questions.

1. Is there something I can install/use on my PC besides WMP that is compatible with my receiver that will allow my to browse a folder view?
2. If my PC is not an option, will any NAS allow me to browse a folder view when connecting to it?
3. It would be cool to have a music storage appliance with HDMI that I could directly connect to my receiver. I could, through the GUI displayed on my TV, browse the folder view and play the songs from that appliance? What would be even cooler is to have a cd/dvd player built in along with software that would rip and organize my CDs on to the appliance. Is there anything like that or am I dreaming.

Thanks for any help!!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

I haven't been on in a while but now I need some advice so I'm asking for some help from the experts. Here is my situation and what I'm looking for.

I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 receiver. It supports USB (only 32GB) and network/pc connectivity. I have it configured on my network and it sees my PC share. The problem is it uses Windows Media Player (I hate). WMP does not allow the browsing of folders (it does but only from a view within WMP, not browsable). It sorts the music folders in to categories Artist, Album and Genre. It does not retain the folders. I cannot see many of the folders. I can eventually find the songs from the folders but that is WAY too cumbersome.

1. Is there something I can install/use on my PC besides WMP that is compatible with my receiver that will allow my to browse a folder view?
2. If my PC is not an option, will any NAS allow me to browse a folder view when connecting to it?
3. It would be cool to have a music storage appliance with HDMI that I could directly connect to my receiver. I could, through the GUI displayed on my TV, browse the folder view and play the songs from that appliance? What would be even cooler is to have a cd/dvd player built in along with software that would rip and organize my CDs on to the appliance. Is there anything like that or am I dreaming.

Thanks for any help!!!
It sounds that your wish list could be accomplished with an HTPC or a DAW.

These can be purchased but are best built by you to suit your needs and specifications.

This is my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that will handle, organize and make WAV files as well as edit and master CDs.

This is my HTPC (home theater computer) that will handle audio and or video files plus record and burn them.

Those type of devices will do everything that you ask for here and more.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello all,

Thanks for any help!!!
Welcome to wonderful world of HTPC. First lets rip the bandaid and get off bad news first:
What would be even cooler is to have a cd/dvd player built in along with software that would rip and organize my CDs on to the appliance.
Yes, you're dreaming. There WERE something along these lines but sued out of existence long time ago. Besides it was quite expensive.

I think that this https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Pro-Streaming-Player-Android/dp/B013HK3YH0?th=1 (500Gb+Remote version)
could solve most if not every single wish otherwise. Especially using built-in Plex (both client and server)
Once you tell it where your music files are - it will get descriptions and artwork. It will support any network shares, local storage and practically any external usb storage.

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic

These can be purchased but are best built by you to suit your needs and specifications.

This is my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that will handle, organize and make WAV files as well as edit and master CDs.

This is my HTPC (home theater computer) that will handle audio and or video files plus record and burn them.

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
Wow. Very cool. That's a bit more than I need but I guess you have to start somewhere!

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
Hello all,

Thanks for any help!!!
Update:

I installed PLEX to see if I could get around the WMP issue. What I found was the Yamaha RX-V3800 ONLY uses WMP categories. I can connect to the PLEX share but it is the same as WMP. It appears that this is built in to the receiver. When it connects to the share, it only looks at what is populated in those categories.

So this means I must find another alternative. I only need this for my digital music so I don't need any bells and whistles. The receiver does not support FLAC anyway so a direct connect is the way to go.

I need something that connects to the receiver. Something that will play the music and send the output to the receiver through HDMI or Toslink. Whatever device(s) I use, it would be great if the GUI passed through to the TV like my Blu-Ray player to control the device and play the music. Again, I am probably dreaming.

Do I buy a DAC that can connect to a NAS?
Is there a NAS that has the ability to "play" the music files?

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
Welcome to wonderful world of HTPC. First lets rip the bandaid and get off bad news first:

Yes, you're dreaming. There WERE something along these lines but sued out of existence long time ago. Besides it was quite expensive.

I think that this https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-SHIELD-Pro-Streaming-Player-Android/dp/B013HK3YH0?th=1 (500Gb+Remote version)
could solve most if not every single wish otherwise. Especially using built-in Plex (both client and server)
Once you tell it where your music files are - it will get descriptions and artwork. It will support any network shares, local storage and practically any external usb storage.
Thank you Sir. This is close but still not what I'm looking for. This uses PLEX which is similar to WMP. It doesn't allow me to choose my files from a simple folder view. :-(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You could install practically any android music player software and use simple folder/file listing view if you don't like indexing that much :)
like this one for example:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer.unlock
ps: Plex is not really similar to wmp. It's so much better in every possible way
p.s.s: Important point is you not going to need an external pc running plex. Both server and client are running on same box.

p.s.s.s: Have you noticed how TLSGuy likes his custom htpc? Care to guess who helped him to design the hardware for it? :rolleyes:

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
You could install practically any android music player software and use simple folder/file listing view if you don't like indexing that much :)
like this one for example:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer.unlock
ps: Plex is not really similar to wmp. It's so much better in every possible way
p.s.s: Important point is you not going to need an external pc running plex. Both server and client are running on same box.

p.s.s.s: Have you noticed how TLSGuy likes his custom htpc? Care to guess who helped him to design the hardware for it? :rolleyes:
I'm sure PLEX is better than WMP but it is the receiver that has the restrictions. It only allows you to see the WMP categories even from the PLEX share. It's a bummer for sure. The NVIDA might still be the best option.

- I'm guessing you maybe helped??? ;-)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm sure PLEX is better than WMP but it is the receiver that has the restrictions. It only allows you to see the WMP categories even from the PLEX share. It's a bummer for sure. The NVIDA might still be the best option.

So, why are you restricting yourself to only accessing it through the receiver?

There are some other fairly elegant solutions.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

No, you're missing the point here. Nvidia shield with plex will plugin into HDMI port of your Yamaha.
You would NOT be using your AVR internal music playing options at all. All the control will be done from another remote. The interface will be completely different.

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
So, why are you restricting yourself to only accessing it through the receiver?

There are some other fairly elegant solutions.
Maybe I over complicated what I want to do. I simply want to play my digital music files on my system. Since all of my music is on my PC, I thought it was a slam dunk to connect to the PC. That is when I realized I was restricted to the WMP categories instead of a simple folder structure like the USB stick (32GB limit) I was using.
The reason I wanted the interface on the TV is because all of the controls for the receiver are also done on the TV. I'm not totally restricted to it. It would just be nicer.

So that is when I started looking at the option of some sort of Digital Music Player or NAS with the ability to play the music.
I did see some fancy DMPs but they were pricey.

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
No, you're missing the point here. Nvidia shield with plex will plugin into HDMI port of your Yamaha.
You would NOT be using your AVR internal music playing options at all. All the control will be done from another remote. The interface will be completely different.
Okay that makes sense.

I think I have found a pretty simple solution that will also give me some additional functionality.

The Oppo Blu-Ray player. I'll probably wait for the release of the UDP-203 which is supposed to be available in December. The BDP-103 would work but the upgrades on the UDP-203 should make it worth the wait.
1. HDMI connectivity
2. NAS support
3. USB support
4. Can browse and play music files from a folder view.
5. Bonus! It is a MUCH nicer Blu-Ray player than my cheapo Samsung. Plus it has other cool options.

What are your thoughts on this setup?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I dunno. Imho it's too much money for 4k player with very little actual 4k disks available.
Don't get me wrong, oppo stuff is great, it's just these stuff - "the smarts" get updated every 6 months or so. What's fast and cool today and shield-tv gets to be ancient only in 1-2 years.

to be honest even Amazon FireTV stick with Plex client and plex server software to be installed on existing computer will do the trick. Total cost: one time cost of $45 - $40 for stick plus $5 for plex client.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello all,

Thanks for any help!!!

You could try buying a WD TV Live media player and attach it via HDMI to your receiver and let the WD sort things out. I used to run my storagee through my PC as well but I picked up a USB hard drive and connected it directly the WD TV Live media player and sort through folders by artist. It works really well for me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Okay that makes sense.

I think I have found a pretty simple solution that will also give me some additional functionality.

The Oppo Blu-Ray player. I'll probably wait for the release of the UDP-203 which is supposed to be available in December. The BDP-103 would work but the upgrades on the UDP-203 should make it worth the wait.
1. HDMI connectivity
2. NAS support
3. USB support
4. Can browse and play music files from a folder view.
5. Bonus! It is a MUCH nicer Blu-Ray player than my cheapo Samsung. Plus it has other cool options.

What are your thoughts on this setup?
I don't know much about the specifics you mention, but as a general rule, I think it is unwise to adapt the earliest offering of new technology. Oppo is a great company and I suspect their unit will work well at what it is designed for, but at this point, I'd consider 4k to be a speculative format. How much more will they cost than BluRay? Will you really see a visible difference? (note that in store demos are usually using optimized settings and conditions other than 4k to show off 4k). Look at BetaMax, LaserDisks, and SACD's; all were a solid thing for a while, but other approaches kept them from becoming the new standardized format.

One of the best indications that the tides have swung their way is the proliferation of 4k discs (which has not yet happened). So buy into 4k at your own risk.

So, I'm with BSA. Unless you've got the extra coin and pride yourself on having the latest and greatest, don't go 4k yet.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So, I'm with BSA. Unless you've got the extra coin and pride yourself on having the latest and greatest, don't go 4k yet.
To clarify - don't buy into 4k physical media yet. 4k streaming is whole different can o' worms.

D

Dargent0628

Junior Audioholic
You are really over thinking this. Get a roku, install the Plex media server on your PC, direct it to your music directory and in 30 minutes you will be playing all your flac files sortable by artist album song with artwork and metadata. Seriously just do it Plex is fantastic.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis