HDMI In, Component Out....

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
The Wii should work on HDMI as well, shouldn't it?

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
If you are saying you have connected devices to the TV already via DVI and they work, then yes this will work.
Great, and yes my PS3 is currently hooked up with the HDMI to DVI. So what receiver do you all recommend? I'm currently very happy with my Yamaha 250 Watt, so my expectations are not that high. I just need an AVR with (2) HDMI in's and (1) HDMI out and (2) optical inputs and a component input for the Wii...

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Great, and yes my PS3 is currently hooked up with the HDMI to DVI. So what receiver do you all recommend? I'm currently very happy with my Yamaha 250 Watt, so my expectations are not that high. I just need an AVR with (2) HDMI in's and (1) HDMI out and (2) optical inputs and a component input for the Wii...
I haven't got any receiver suggestions but your proposed connections sound perfect. I'd recommend getting cables from monoprice.com if you need to buy them since the HDMI and other such cables I've bought from them were very inexpensive but well built.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No Nestor, the Wii does not have HDMI. But I have heard that the next Wii will have it.
It doesn't but most current receivers will upconvert the signal and pass it via HDMI, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

As for a receiver, we'd need to know your budget to give you ideas. You were looking at Yamaha and I think they would be a good place to start. The 365 that you mentioned may not have upconversion though, so just check for that capability.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
It doesn't but most current receivers will upconvert the signal and pass it via HDMI, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

As for a receiver, we'd need to know your budget to give you ideas. You were looking at Yamaha and I think they would be a good place to start. The 365 that you mentioned may not have upconversion though, so just check for that capability.
My budget is $200 max, and I'm ok with a used unit. Can you please recommend a AVR that has all my needed connections plus does the upconversion?
Thanks

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I dunno how many (if any) avrs in your price range will do component -> hdmi conversion. I know that my onkyo tx-sr507 doesn't, so I just run component from the wii straight to the display. Since you are willing to look at used models, I'd be checking your local craigslist for bargains on last years models.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
My budget is $200 max, and I'm ok with a used unit. Can you please recommend a AVR that has all my needed connections plus does the upconversion?
Thanks
Find a couple you think are good and post a link for us to look at. Google is your friend. ;)
In that price range Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon are all gonna be the same thing in a different box.
Shop on Ebay or amazon, or craigslist. If you buy used and it needs to be shipped, make sure the seller will pack it properly.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
www.ac4l.com take a look at the refurb Onkyos and Marantz. There are a few in your price range, but I am expecting for what you are after you are going to need to look at about $50-100 more than that.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
What do you all think of the VSX-820-K Pioneer that was mentioned? And how is "up conversion" listed. I have found many that I like that have all the connections that I need, but I can't tell if they are capable of "up conversion". What is up conversion and why do I need it?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Technically it is upscaling or transcoding, not "upconversion", but that is what many call it. It means you can input everything to the receiver whether analog or digital and have it upscaled and sent to your TV via one HDMI (->DVI) cable, so you probably want this.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
Technically it is upscaling or transcoding, not "upconversion", but that is what many call it. It means you can input everything to the receiver whether analog or digital and have it upscaled and sent to your TV via one HDMI (->DVI) cable, so you probably want this.

So what are some recommendations for an AV Receiver?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
How about this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120164

It has 3 HDMI inputs, and component input. You do NOT need to hook up optical audio! This receiver will decode audio off the HDMI connection from your PS3 and cable box. You will need to hook up both that HDMI->DVI cable AND the component video cable to the TV because the player does not upconvert to HDMI for you.

$199 shipped to your door for that 5.1 receiver.

D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
How about this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120164

It has 3 HDMI inputs, and component input. You do NOT need to hook up optical audio! This receiver will decode audio off the HDMI connection from your PS3 and cable box. You will need to hook up both that HDMI->DVI cable AND the component video cable to the TV because the player does not upconvert to HDMI for you.

$199 shipped to your door for that 5.1 receiver.
Sony STRDH510? It is on sale at Best Buy for $169

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand this. So I do not need an AVR that does upscaling/upconversion as long as I run HDMI (out) from AVR to DVI on TV and I need to run component (out) from AVR to component In on TV.

So why then is an upscaling AVR important, if it's as simple as running a component cable to achieve the upscaling?

Last edited:
D

DuluthMN

Audioholic Intern
Sony STRDH510? It is on sale at Best Buy for $169

Ok, I think I'm starting to understand this. So I do not need an AVR that does upscaling/upconversion as long as I run HDMI (out) from AVR to DVI on TV and I need to run component (out) from AVR to component In on TV.

So why then is an upscaling AVR important, if it's as simple as running a component cable to achieve the upscaling?

Hurry up guys, I want to purchase this is 8 hours... :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can buy it online for less, but I would get the Onkyo over the Sony. While Sony makes some decent stuff, their receivers tend not to match up in quality for the money you spent and the Onkyo would likely be a better purchase. Still, at the price you are talking about, it doesn't really make a huge amount of difference in things. It's all pretty entry level.

Yes, in your previous statement, there is no reason why not to use multiple cables. The biggest advantage of upconversion is that it allows you to connect just ONE cable to your TV and be done with it. (HDMI) So, you put your TV on the HDMI (or in your case, DVI) input, and then all you ever have to do is turn the TV on and off. When you switch to a different input, like Wii, you don't have to change your TV's input, just the receiver's. So, one less input to deal with means it makes it all work a bit easier.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis