HDMI DVI - Laptop to Plasma

D

dhanoad

Audiophyte
I just bought a HDMI DVI cable

I have a Dell XPS2 laptop and a Pioneer PDP 5040

I plugged the cable into Input 3 of the Pioneer Receiver for the TV and turned on the laptop once connected.

I hit Input 3 on my remote control and get a blank screen.

What am I doing wrong ? i am trying to view the laptop on the 50" plasma.

D

dhanoad

Audiophyte
my apologies, I forgot to mention that I tried second display

I hit the Function F8 key (labelled CRT/LCD) and nothing happens.. still a black screen.. what gives?

captain_tinker

captain_tinker

Audioholic
Was just looking through some older posts trying to get some information, and this one caught my eye. Did you ever get this to work? I was thinking that maybe the DVI port was a DVI-A instead of a DVI-D. I looked it up, and it is listed as DVI-D, which I believe is what the ports are on HT equipment. There could be a few reasons for this to happen. It may be that the plasma that you are using cannot display the same resolution that you are using on your desktop. You should check to see what resolution your desktop is at. Maybe lower the size to something smaller. It may be that you cannot use both the laptop screen and the external monitor connection (not likely), or there may be some setting needed in the bios to allow both to function at once. Maybe a driver issue for the video card?
Anyway, I googled the PDP 5040 and found this:

http://www.avdeals.com/pioneerplasma/pdp5040hd.htm

It looks like the native resolution of the monitor is XGA (1280 x 768p). Notice it says p, which is progressive. I don't believe that the normal output of a computer video card is in progressive scan format is it? You may have to set something on the monitor to accept interlaced input through the DVI port. Again, I don't even know if that is possible. I have never tried any of this. I am just making an educated guess on what I know.
As for the resolution, the resolution on your computer is probably something like 1280x960 or 1280x1024. See if your card has something that can do a widescreen resolution, not all can do it. See if you can do 1280x768 or something close to it.
It did mention that there was a PC input, which I assume means a VGA D-Sub port? Maybe try that first to make sure that you can even pass a video signal over to it.

good luck!

-capT

J

Jakespaar

Audiophyte
Laptop to HDTV (what cable is best?)

I also have a DELL XPS Gen 2 laptop that I want to hook up to an HDTV. I have a Westinghouse LTV-27w7 HD, and I would like to purchase the best kind of video cable (10' or 12' long) to connect these two. However, I do not want to spend excess money on some exotic cable that is designed for higher-end video than this laptop can produce.

The laptop has three video outputs, VGA, DVI-D, and S-video. The TV has numerous video inputs, S-video, composite, VGA, YPbPr1 & 2, and HDMI-HDCP. I'm assuming that the TV is capable of receiving higher quality picture than the laptop is capable of producing. Is this true?

What would be the best cable for me to purchase? I was originally just looking for a standard 10' VGA cable, but I haven't been able to find one locally. I did find a 10' High-Integrity SVGA Monitor Cable for around $50.00. Is this the best bet for my needs, or would some other input/output combo cable be better, such as a DVI-D to HDMI-HDCP?

J

jake51s

Junior Audioholic
dhanoad said:
I just bought a HDMI DVI cable

I have a Dell XPS2 laptop and a Pioneer PDP 5040

I plugged the cable into Input 3 of the Pioneer Receiver for the TV and turned on the laptop once connected.

I hit Input 3 on my remote control and get a blank screen.

What am I doing wrong ? i am trying to view the laptop on the 50" plasma.
The HDMI port on the tv has HDCP, the DVI port on the laptop is not HDCP compliant (as far as I know). That's why a picture will not show up. You will have to use an analog connection to get a picture on the tv.

J

jake51s

Junior Audioholic
Jakespaar said:
I also have a DELL XPS Gen 2 laptop that I want to hook up to an HDTV. I have a Westinghouse LTV-27w7 HD, and I would like to purchase the best kind of video cable (10' or 12' long) to connect these two. However, I do not want to spend excess money on some exotic cable that is designed for higher-end video than this laptop can produce.

The laptop has three video outputs, VGA, DVI-D, and S-video. The TV has numerous video inputs, S-video, composite, VGA, YPbPr1 & 2, and HDMI-HDCP. I'm assuming that the TV is capable of receiving higher quality picture than the laptop is capable of producing. Is this true?

What would be the best cable for me to purchase? I was originally just looking for a standard 10' VGA cable, but I haven't been able to find one locally. I did find a 10' High-Integrity SVGA Monitor Cable for around $50.00. Is this the best bet for my needs, or would some other input/output combo cable be better, such as a DVI-D to HDMI-HDCP?
VGA would be your best bet if your tv does not have a DVI port. Any cheap cable will do fine and are about $5 online. The high integrity cable is probably just a thicker gauge wire with some shielding. At the length you need there will be a minimal, if any, difference.

D

dhanoad

Audiophyte
no I never did get this to work

I tried this again today -- I switched the laptop to every resolution setting I could. No luck. The damn plasma remains a black screen with no audio/video.

It is really upsetting to spend money on a cable that is HDMI/DVI and it fits nicely into the plasma and the laptop and the connection doesn't work. If they aren't' compatible then the cables shouldn't fit.

Garbage.

Absolute garbage.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to make this work?

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
jake51s said:
The HDMI port on the tv has HDCP, the DVI port on the laptop is not HDCP compliant (as far as I know). That's why a picture will not show up. You will have to use an analog connection to get a picture on the tv.
I'll second that, as I have an LCD TV and I have no problems seeing the laptop on the TV screen. All you have to do is to use a HD15-HD15 RGB cable (analog, with 15 pin each end - male/male terminals) and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers / Avliner.

N

ncermak

Audiophyte
I have no problem seeing my monitor on my TV (LG LCD) conecting with HDMI, but my computer has HDDVD drive. When I play my the HD DVD, coding makes the external screen go black and a nessage sayning that it cannot be viewed in this configuration. I was hoping that this would be a way to avoid buying a HD DVD or BlueRay player, so I ask, Is this True of all DVDs, and can I circumvent it somehow?

T

trailertrash

Enthusiast
I have no problem seeing my monitor on my TV (LG LCD) conecting with HDMI, but my computer has HDDVD drive. When I play my the HD DVD, coding makes the external screen go black and a nessage sayning that it cannot be viewed in this configuration. I was hoping that this would be a way to avoid buying a HD DVD or BlueRay player, so I ask, Is this True of all DVDs, and can I circumvent it somehow?
I am pretty sure you are porked!

:)

A

Aggie 64

Audiophyte
I have a HP EliteBook laptop with HDMI port and a Pioneer Elite Plasma TV. The TV has a built in HDMI at input 7. When I connect with a cable (not a unidirectional) I can get video, but not audio. In fact, the audio does not even play on my laptop. However, if I go to a different input such as 6, the audio will play on the laptop, but there is no video on the TV. Any suggestions?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a HP EliteBook laptop with HDMI port and a Pioneer Elite Plasma TV. The TV has a built in HDMI at input 7. When I connect with a cable (not a unidirectional) I can get video, but not audio. In fact, the audio does not even play on my laptop. However, if I go to a different input such as 6, the audio will play on the laptop, but there is no video on the TV. Any suggestions?
I would suggest posting a new topic for your problem instead of posting in almost 10 year old topic to get better response for your problem.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis