ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I have recently got a new tv, it's great but I do have problems.

The hdmi run from the tv to the AVR is long, so is the run from the pc to the avr. (both roughly 35 feet)
I have been using older hdmi cables that worked just fine. However, the old tv was only a 720p television. Now when watching blurays there is some artifacts on screen occasionally and the computer can only be set to output 720 or there is no signal at all.

Do I have to get new HDMI cables? I assume I do.
Has anyone tried out Redmere cables? How do they stack up?

I have heard good things about BJC but I don't know about dropping $220 on HDMI cables...

Looking for advice:)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. I've used Redmere cables from Monoprice and been very happy with them, but mine are only six-feet long. I haven't tried the longer ones like you need.

How tough would it be to temporarily move the PC or AVR closer to the TV and try out a shorter HDMI cable, just to check if that's really the issue?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You also want to check your A/V receiver as it may have issues with the longer run length.

I ran 75' to my A/V receiver, then 50' to my TV using standard HDMI cables without issue at 1080p. But, the 75' cable was to long, so I dropped down to a 50' HDMI cable. That was a bit short, so I used couplers and they completely made it so that it didn't work at all. I ended up switching over to HDBaseT for the first run from the equipment to the receiver, and a 50' HDMI cable (Monoprice 22AWG) and it works perfectly.

I have some active HDMI equalizers from Tripp Lite which I plan to test out how well they work with the 1080p signal and 3D before to long as I want to see if I can use those 50' cables I have in the wall, or if I should replace them with a few more pieces of cat-5 cabling.

Given good weight HDMI cables, you shouldn't have an issue, and I've not has a single failure with the 22AWG HDMI cables from Monoprice at lengths well beyond what most consider reasonable.

Worth asking (and saying): Are you using wall plates? If you are, then I would bypass the wall plates and run directly from the source to the receiver out of the receiver to the TV. Any couplers or other points of failure will be hit hard by the higher resolutions.

If this is a fairly easy run to make, and you haven't done so, be sure to add some cat-5 or cat-6 cabling to the bundle for future HDBaseT solutions.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
No I am not using wall plates anywhere, they are all direct connections. the connection behind the tv comes straight out the back and is a bit squished with the wallmounting. Maybe that is the issue.

The hdmi cable run from the pc to the avr is an older cable(first one i bought actually) and small. A cheaper one that I bought not knowing that there is a difference. I can easily change the runs as I installed 1" conduit to both the tv and pc from the avr.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Finally got to a bit of troubleshooting. The cable from the pc to the avr simply cannot do more then 720, it doesn't even try 1080. The cable from the avr to the tv doesn't have an issue with the small monitor that I had before but apparently does with the tv :/ There does not appear to be any 'snow' on the small monitor and it never drops the picture. There might be snow on the small monitor but I don't see it (the 'snow' is few and far between)
The picture drops momentarily or goes 'pink' once every couple minutes.

Any insights? I am reading up on it but without another cable or exceedingly expensive equipment to test with ....

J

jotham

Audioholic
I'm running a 40 ft redmere monoprice cable from my Oppo 103 to my projector. It handles 1080p 3D perfectly. I went with redmere because I needed to go more than 35 feet and I really wanted this to work the first time. Other friends of mine with similar needs (40 ft distance) have had difficulties getting standard cables to work for them. So yeah, big fan of redmere!

good luck,

Jotham

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
What the hell, I'll try redmere. I need a right angle adapter and a 3' cable as well. One fell swoop!

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
All fixed!

After talking to someone at CableSalesCanada I decided to get a 6' Redmere cable and couple it to my 'snowing' hdmi. The redmere chip boosts the signal and then transmits that data to through, provided it is attached to the source. Works beauty. It still doesn't allow me to keep the 'advanced menu' (the menu that still shows the video through it) but I blame that on Denon.

I am not going to try to tell you that Redmere can fix every cable but apparently some it can!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis