HDMI cables and RFI

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are HDMI cables affected by RFI, from an A/C power cord or power conditioning device for example?
My DVD player is set directly on top of a Panamax M5300-PM power manager. The HDMI cable extends down to the AVR on a separate shelf under the Panamax. I've experimented and notice when I flip the light switches in the apartment the picture on the TV goes blank for about a second or less. This phenomenon does not happen while watching on a separate blu-ray player located further away on a different shelf. My next move of course will be to move the DVD player.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Are HDMI cables affected by RFI, from an A/C power cord or power conditioning device for example?
My DVD player is set directly on top of a Panamax M5300-PM power manager. The HDMI cable extends down to the AVR on a separate shelf under the Panamax. I've experimented and notice when I flip the light switches in the apartment the picture on the TV goes blank for about a second or less. This phenomenon does not happen while watching on a separate blu-ray player located further away on a different shelf. My next move of course will be to move the DVD player.
Is the light switch on the same circuit as the AV equipment? That could cause a problem- HDMI handshake has a very small window of tolerance but unless you can see the AC waveform, it's hard to know where the problem lies.

Can you use a different HDMI cable?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I would say that the most likely cause is the Panamax unit. I have had friends with their products. I have run into similar problems and worse. I have had a chance to test them and those units are the opposite of a power manager. They actually roughen the power.

First thing I do when I see a Panamax unit is to get it out of there.

And to be honest a power manage that does not contain a battery is of very limited use, as it can do its job for only a very short duration. I would personally never install a unit like that.

highfigh

highfigh

I would say that the most likely cause is the Panamax unit. I have had friends with their products. I have run into similar problems and worse. I have had a chance to test them and those units are the opposite of a power manager. They actually roughen the power.

First thing I do when I see a Panamax unit is to get it out of there.

And to be honest a power manage that does not contain a battery is of very limited use, as it can do its job for only a very short duration. I would personally never install a unit like that.
What did they do to the AC waveform?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Distortion in spades.

It actually blew up the starting circuit of MAC pre/pro. It has had an APC unit since with no issues.
We use APC in our industrial applications, been rock solid. Some of those APC for the lab units are fairly small and inexpensive. And I know that the power is good enough because I don't have problems with instrumentation like Electrochemistry/Voltammetry Potentiometers.

For the actual factory, some of those APC units are BEASTS! And of course we have backup generators and flywheels, and our contract with the power company supposedly insures uninterrupted power :rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis