HDMI audio through zone 2

R

Rotten device

Audiophyte
Hi,
Hoping from a little help from someone please.

I run all my media through a Mac mini, using the hdmi out for video and audio.
I want 5.1 in main room and I have two non powdered speakers in another lounge and on the decking.
The wife also has a very nice entertainment cabinet and unfortunately the slots are only 168mm high so I cannot buy an average high end amp ( as they are usually 180mm and up)

I'm looking at 7.1 system with powered 2nd zone ( im going to run a speaker wire splitter for third zone) but all the manuals say the second zone can only be analogue inputs. I'm not actually interested in running separate audio in different zones I just want the ability to essentially use the second zone like the old way you'd push speaker a or speaker b settings. Does anyone know if I can have hdmi in and just push zone 2 and swap the audio from one zone to another. Thanks

Any other suggestions for set up would be appreciated.

Ps the Mac mini does have analogue and digital outputs but will only let one work at a time not simultaneous

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Welmcome to the forum, we will get it figured out for you Im sure..

But I am kind of confused, So you have the mac mini but need an avr and want it to run a zone 2...
I think you are mistaken on the analog inputs for zone 2, zone 2 works with an analog output but the input can come from any source you want...
this avr is a good choice it has the zone 2 analog "OUT" that will go to a separate 2 channel amp... YAMAHA HTR-7065 like RX-V773 RX-A820 7.1 665w A/V Receiver AirPlay | Accessories4less or you can use its internal amp, I like to just add a cheap 2 ch amp for your zone 2.... like a lepai 2020 for under $25...

As far as height if it is an unchangeable issue, http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARNR1604/MARANTZ-NR1604-Slim-Line-7.1-Network-AV-Receiver-with-AirPlay/1.html is a very nice unit, I have one of the marantz slimlines and they are awesome... the 1604 is the only one with zone 2 I believe...

Last edited:
rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Airplay works in all zones with Yamaha network receivers and doesn't require cables or the use of your mac if you use iDevices.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
zone 2 works with an analog output but the input can come from any source you want...
I'm a neophyte, and certainly NOT one that "should be listened to"... but I can tell you my experience. With 2 previous Yamaha and my current Denon X4000 AVR, I wanted the same thing for Zone 2. Simply wanted it to play the same thing coming out of the front l/r in main zone. Not being able to find a way in the manuals, or by experimentation, I called the company helpdesk. Was told the same thing by Yamaha & Denon. The left/right analog preamp outputs for Zone 2 will ONLY work with analog inputs.

So in addition to HDMI, I had to run an RCA pair from the Bluray to the AVR, and the satellite box to the AVR. Now I can turn on Zone 2, select the input, and it works.

Keep in mind, I wanted an analog preamp output for some wireless headphones. It sounds like you want speaker outputs. To use the Zone 2 preamp outputs, you would have to run them to another receiver/amp, then use the speaker outputs from that. Depending on your AVR, you may have additional speaker outputs you can configure to work like you want, (to mirror your Main Zone front l/r). Someone who "should be listened to" can likely help you with that for your particular AVR... I don't have any experience there.

And please remember, I'm no expert and often don't know what I'm talking about, (according to my wife). But the above has been my experience.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
hmm, I never ran into that, my umc200 lets me play what ever I want through the zone two so does my father in laws 1222k, Im going to look into it...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK it looks like if you want to play an hdmi source on zone 2 it has to be playing on zone 1, other wise you need to pick an analog source when not playing the same on both... Learn something new everyday...

A simple solution sounds like just getting a 3.5mm to rca adapter and plugging it into an analog input?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Herbu nailed it. Very, very few AVRs will pass digital inputs to a secondary zone. To do so would require additional DACs in the receiver.

As others said, you'll need to pass the source via an analog input in order to send it to other than zone 1.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Mark I wonder if there is a way to use an external dac like the muse units for $25? does the apple have another digital output you can use in simutaniously?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno about that particular DAC, but any DAC that would take in that particular digital signal and optput an analog one would work.

Doesn't the Mac Mini have an earphone out put that would work simultaneously with tha HDMI? He could just feed that into an analog input and select that input for his alternate zone input.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Dunno about that particular DAC, but any DAC that would take in that particular digital signal and optput an analog one would work.

Doesn't the Mac Mini have an earphone out put that would work simultaneously with tha HDMI? He could just feed that into an analog input and select that input for his alternate zone input.
Yeah, thats what I mentioned above just a 3.5mm to rca adapter, not sure how that unit works though..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis