Highlander

Highlander

Full Audioholic
Dear All,

I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me: I'll soon wire my lounge for home theatre and will have wall plate terminals for a tidy look. The wall plate for the receiver will have an HDMI terminal in order to pass video from a player/receiver up the wall, across the ceiling, and down to a projector.

I appreciate that an HDMI cable that currently meets the HDMI 1.4 specifcation will also meet the HDMI 2.0 specification, but what about HDMI terminals on the wall plate? I'd hate to have HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 compliant components/cables respectively for future 4k video...and then find I receive no video because (for whatever reason) the HDMI terminal on the wall plate prevents a 'hand-shake' in the signal-chain.

Is this something I require to confirm with the wall plate supplier, or is it definitely the case that the HDMI terminal is 'dumb' and I need not be concerned?

Highlander

Highlander

Full Audioholic
All,

I think I have my answer - on the HDMI.org website it is stated:

"Does HDMI 2.0 require new connectors?
No, HDMI 2.0 uses the existing connectors."

Cheers,

Robbie

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, so its just component to component need to be HDMI 2.0/ HDCP 2.2?

Have I mentioned that I hate HDMI?

Highlander

Highlander

Full Audioholic
TheWarrior said:
...so its just component to component need to be HDMI 2.0/ HDCP 2.2?
HDMI is related to the cable. The 2.0 specification allows for increased bandwidth required for 4k. However, an HDMI cable which meets the 1.4 specification can pass the bandwidth tabled in the 2.0 specification, which explains why existing high-speed HDMI cables do not require to be replaced.

HDCP is related to the components (hardware). In order to pass copy-protected 4k, such as movies, components require to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. Note my emphasis on "copy-protected" - if the source material is not copy-protected, for example 4k shot with a camcorder, then components do not require to be HDCP 2.2 compliant in order to view it.

At least, the above is my understanding.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI is related to the cable. The 2.0 specification allows for increased bandwidth required for 4k. However, an HDMI cable which meets the 1.4 specification can pass the bandwidth tabled in the 2.0 specification, which explains why existing high-speed HDMI cables do not require to be replaced.

HDCP is related to the components (hardware). In order to pass copy-protected 4k, such as movies, components require to be HDCP 2.2 compliant. Note my emphasis on "copy-protected" - if the source material is not copy-protected, for example 4k shot with a camcorder, then components do not require to be HDCP 2.2 compliant in order to view it.

At least, the above is my understanding.
That is my understanding as well, you just phrased it far better than I did!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis