evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
hyghwayman said:
Hi Everyone,
Here is another ? for the experts. I'm looking to buy the Samsung 27" SlimFit HDTV (TXS2782H).
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-27-SlimFit-HDTV-TXS2782H/sem/rpsm/oid/145829/catOid/-12868/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
For the price this TV has it all:D , but just found out Samsung is still using the HDMI 1.0 on this model:mad: .
Does this need be a concern:confused: ?

Thanks,
hyghwayman

Here's the history of the HDMI spec:
HDMI 1.1

* Support for DVD Audio

HDMI 1.2

* Adds features and capabilities that increase HDMI's appeal for use in both the CE and PC industries. Specifically, the features and modifications for HDMI 1.2 include:

• Support for One Bit Audio format, such as SuperAudio CD's DSD (Direct Stream Digital)
o Changes to offer better support for current and future PCs with HDMI outputs, including:
• Availability of the widely-used HDMI Type A connector for PC sources and displays with full support for PC video formats
• Ability for PC sources to use their native RGB color-space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color space
• Requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support future low-voltage (i.e., AC-coupled) sources, such as those based on PCI Express I/O
technology

HDMI 1.2a

* Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features and command sets and CEC compliance tests are now fully specified.
* Creation of version 1.2a of the HDMI Compliance Test Specification (CTS), which includes a CEC Supplement. HDMI CTS 1.2a has been updated for technical consistency with HDMI Specification 1.2a as well as to the recently released HDMI Specification 1.2.
* o Significantly, CTS 1.2a contains additional cable and connector testing and Authorized Testing Center (ATC) submission requirements. Specifically, under CTS 1.2a, the Adopter shall submit for testing to the ATC any new HDMI cable whose length exceeds previously tested cables. Additionally, HDMI Licensing, LLC will maintain a list of approved connectors. For a device to pass CTS 1.2a testing at an ATC, all connectors on such device must appear on the approved connector list. To add a connector to this list, the vendor must submit to the ATC or HDMI Licensing, LLC full and passing testing results.

1.3 Adds

-Deeper colors (48 bit up from 24 bit)
-More bandwidth (presumably for the latest DOLBY/DTS HD uncompressed soundtracks from BD/HD-DVDs)
-A mini connector (yeay, ANOTHER plug).

I think there's a bunch more stuff, but you can get it straight from the horse's mouth here.

I would get something with at least HDMI 1.2

It's the same cable as the prev. stuff...it's just the chipsets on either end that need to change to accommodate the latest HDMI spec.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis