HD Radio - what's available?

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Hello all - I live in Winston-Salem, NC and listen to the standard NPR station WFDD (Wake Forest University) - this is mainly a 'news-based' format which I do enjoy but music receives less emphasis.

Now w/ digital radio, two other options are being offered, i.e. classical & world/americana music - I'd love to hear these special HD bands.

So, my main choice would be to buy a 'slim-height' component digital radio to attach to my NAD receiver (would prefer a price of < $200), and would appreciate any suggestions on potential brands/models that might fit my needs. Thanks all - Dave :)

J

JohnMcD348

Enthusiast
I just got my first Digital radio as a replacement for one in my truck. I'll say it's OK but not great. My problem is that I live about 50 miles from any of the large radio markets so it's hit or miss. When I get reception it's really nice on both AM and FM. It's nice actually having other choices on the radio dial. My other vehicle has Sirius and I find myself listening to it more than regular radio.

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Well, just one reply in a month! :eek:

I guess this technology is not impressing the members in the forum - for myself, I've been looking at reviews, which have been quite mixed on this technology and the performance of the radios.

The Sangean HDT-1X seems to have received some excellent reviews and the price on Amazon is fine, i.e. $169; however, the reviews THERE have been 4*/5* overall, but w/ some negative comments - :confused:

So, still not sure if I want to invest in this radio format - but would be curious if anyone may be an owner/user of the Sangean brand of HD radios? Thanks - :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yes I've heard the HDT-1 model. A friend bought one, and lent it to me for a few days so I could hear it with the radio reception where I live.

I was impressed at how good it was at receiving weak analog FM signals. It was better at that than the FM tuners I have. I'd give it an A for that.

What about the sound quality of HD (digital) radio? On the HDT-1, HD radio sounds noticeably better than analog FM, but I wouldn't say that it is as good as a well-recorded CD. The variety of material broadcast in this format where I live is impressive (I don't know what you'll find where you are), but it can have a somewhat compressed or limited sound. With some music, this is noticeable, and with other material, it is not bad at all. For quality of HD radio sound, I’d give the HDT-1 a B. Overall, the HDT-1 gets a A-/B+.

So, I thought it was a good product overall and is worth the price, but remember this depends on your over-the-air radio reception where you live. Location, elevation, and antenna all have an effect.

Try this link to find what stations are available in HD where you are.

Last edited:
R

redass

Junior Audioholic
Well, just one reply in a month! :eek:

I guess this technology is not impressing the members in the forum
I can only speak for myself, but I will not pay specifically for something that spits out advertisements and content at a ~50/50 split. If it weren't for sports, I doubt I would care about TV, and if it didn't come standard, I probably wouldn't care for am/fm in my car, either. I have owned sirius before, and I thought it was just like regular radio, the same 15 recycled songs on each station, 10 of which I don't even like, minus commercials. That pretty much turned me off to any "uber-radio" tech that I don't control, I suppose.

but I am curious to hear what people have to say about it... is the sound quality any good? haven't had a chance to hear HD radio yet.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes I've heard the HDT-1 model. A friend bought one, and lent it to me for a few days so I could hear it with the radio reception where I live.

I was impressed at how good it was at receiving weak analog FM signals. It was better at that than the FM tuners I have. I'd give it an A for that.

What about the sound quality of HD (digital) radio? On the HDT-1, HD radio sounds noticeably better than analog FM, but I wouldn't say that it is as good as a well-recorded CD. The variety of material broadcast in this format where I live is impressive (I don't know what you'll find where you are), but it can have a somewhat compressed or limited sound. With some music, this is noticeable, and with other material, it is not bad at all. For quality of HD radio sound, I’d give the HDT-1 a B. Overall, the HDT-1 gets a A-/B+.

So, I thought it was a good product overall and is worth the price, but remember this depends on your over-the-air radio reception where you live. Location, elevation, and antenna all have an effect.

Try this link to find what stations are available in HD where you are.
In that case you need a better FM tuner. The maximum bit stream available on iBiquity/IBOC is 90 kbs. Many stations use less, they can go as low as 40 kbs. I have done level matched A/B resting and the iBiquity HD system is no match for my Quad FM 4 tuner.

I can get 128 kbs from Internet radio streams which is also superior to the HD radio system.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Just to add on to the "How does it sound" question. It'll only sound as good as they're broadcasting. Will it be clear? Yes. Will it always come in? Possibly, if you're not moving around. Is it gonna be "CD quality" like they advertise on the hdradio.com website? Only if they rip and broadcast at 320kbps or better. It's all about bit rate.

-pat

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just to add on to the "How does it sound" question. It'll only sound as good as they're broadcasting. Will it be clear? Yes. Will it always come in? Possibly, if you're not moving around. Is it gonna be "CD quality" like they advertise on the hdradio.com website? Only if they rip and broadcast at 320kbps or better. It's all about bit rate.

-pat
The iBiquity/IBOC system does not support a bit rate of 320 kbs. In my view this system is highly flawed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis