cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
One of the chanels i get has recently started broadcasting some programs in hd, for those who have subscribed to hd content through their provider. i have the standard definition box on satillite feed from a dish. tonight i watched two simpson episodes back to back, one from last season in sd 4:3 and the other in widescreen HD. the hd was definitely higher resoloution, as good as my dvd on progressive scan. my tv is 1080i hdtv ready. my question is how is this possible when i should be getting the same resoloution output from my box for both shows??? cheers guys ive noticed the same increase in qaulity on other hd shows.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If the satellite receiver is SD only then that is what you are seeing regardless of whether the aspect ratio is 4:3 or 16:9. Many TVs will show you the incoming resolution and it should show 480i.

Unless your box really is HD capable and you were simply unaware of that you are not viewing HD content.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
i know your right, the box is conected via component to the set. the box i have should not be hd capable but there was a definite improvement in quality. it was easily noticiable, my wife even commented!! the other thing is it has two component input, onr for hdtv (576p, 1080I) that only outputs if my dvd is on progressive,and the other is unable to display this. i have the cable in this input and the dvd on the progressive input. this makes the the resoloution increase impossible too, yet it was there!!. anyway thanks guys, cheers for the help!! i must be going mad lol. do some screens upscale a picture to its native resoloution???

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
All fixed pixel display devices scale the input resolution to their native resolution.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
i know your right, the box is conected via component to the set. the box i have should not be hd capable but there was a definite improvement in quality. it was easily noticiable, my wife even commented!! the other thing is it has two component input, onr for hdtv (576p, 1080I) that only outputs if my dvd is on progressive,and the other is unable to display this. i have the cable in this input and the dvd on the progressive input. this makes the the resoloution increase impossible too, yet it was there!!. anyway thanks guys, cheers for the help!! i must be going mad lol. do some screens upscale a picture to its native resoloution???
Please provide a make/model of your equipment.

If you are using a component video connection (red/green/blue) instead of a composite video connection (yellow), then you likely do have a HD box. Most SD boxes only provide a composite video connection because they get no real gain from the component video connectivity.

Now, if you are connected via component then your box likely IS an HD box, and while you may not be outputting HD (for whatever reason) it doesn't mean that you can't see a noticable difference between SD and HD content, even though the HD content is being down-converted to SD.

Understand, TV and DVD are technically the same resolution (480i), but DVD typically looks far better than standard definition TV. Why? Because DVD has far less compression and a far better original source. If you are viewing HD content, even downconverted, then you started with a very high quality original source with better colors, and a much more detailed image, and you are throwing away some information.

Yeah, it would be suprising if you did not see an improvement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis