rgriffin25

rgriffin25

It has been a while since anyone has commented on the amount of HD content available on TV. I must say that about 90% of my TV viewing is in HD. When I take a few moments to think of recent years past, I am very happy with how far HD programing has come along.

I know a lot of the people I talk to are always concerned with how many HD channels are available. Here is an interesting angle to share with them.

The cable and satellite companies make us believe that we need at least 200 channels to be happy. So how many of those 200 channels do you watch? Most people pause for a moment and say somewhere between 5-10. Most of which are the major networks. I will then ask them what shows they watch? I have found that most programing people watch is already available in HD.

So those of you that are still standing on the fence, come on over, life is good here in HD land!

Oh, by the way for those of you who need a number, I have 34 HD channels thanks to Dish network!

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yea

HD all the way, it makes up 90% of my viewing!! However the only reason why I have all these other channels is because I'm a sucker:eek: . I tried to downsize but the freaking channels I don't want are always packaged together with the one channel I want. Therefore after 2,3 or 4 package upgrades you get an extra 20-30 channels.:mad:

Last edited:
Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
None of the shows I watch have an HD counterpart (Food: Good Eats. Fox: Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad. Comedy: Daily Show, Colbert, South Park, Drawn Together. IFC.)

I could be tempted to go HD for Sci-Fis Battlestar Galactica... but there is no Sci-Fi-HD here!

Oh well, maybe next year

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Food Network has an HD channel with Dish Network. Most of their programing is in HD!

C

Craig234

Audioholic
My HD

I got HD going several weeks ago on my new Sceptre 42" LCD, it's nice.

I have a pretty bad deal with Comcast Digital HD - the package is an old one from before it was Comcast, around $100/month for most channels.

It has about 10 or 12 HD, including some network, Discovery, and one HBO.

The HD DVR is nice. If I want to make any changes to the channels, they toss out the package and it costs more.

One slight advantage - since I also use Comcast cable modem, they have a free upgrade to 6.0 speed on that.

I should get around to switching to Dish - I think it has more channels, perhaps a better picture, cheaper.

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Discovery HD is a great channel and I am thrilled with their latest offering of "around the world" shows starting with China the other night. It was a great show, very well done...from its' perspective, leaving the true political situation alone...and the video was awesome in my opinion.

I watch a few of the other HD channels and do enjoy them as well. Not as many as I would like but what is available is good.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Kai said:
Discovery HD is a great channel and I am thrilled with their latest offering of "around the world" shows starting with China the other night. It was a great show, very well done...from its' perspective, leaving the true political situation alone...and the video was awesome in my opinion.
That show did not spend nearly enough time talking about chinese food, and way too much time talking about a 12 year old gymnist

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
Most of the movies on DVD are so bad that lately we do most of our viewing on cable, both HD and SD. We rent 3 Scientific American 8300HD cable box DVRs from Time Warner, so we do a lot of time shifting. In HD, we watch mostly HBO (Sopranos, Deadwood, and Rome - all awesome shows when they're on), Discovery, and Public TV. In SD we watch National Geographic (The Dog Whisperer) and the Military Channel. Anyone else "go behind the lines" besides me?

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
None of the shows I watch have an HD counterpart (Fox: Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad.)
Those show aren't in 16:9, but they are crystal clear on the FOXHD channel, much better than the fuzzy normal FOX channel on my 56" DLP.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Is it just me or does it seem like they purposly make the standard definition channels just look super crappy. Just got my Cable hooked up yesterday the HD DVR they gave me is an Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD, puts out 1080i or 720p, With the 720p hooked up the HD channels are nice, Although I really only get maybe 2 or 3 HD channels I would ever watch. A few of them are like generic HD, its in 16x9 but the video quality isint up to the true HD stuff that Ive seen on Discovery HD.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Haoleb said:
Is it just me or does it seem like they purposly make the standard definition channels just look super crappy?
All of the cable boxes I have installed make the lower analog channels look like garbage. I have done comparisons with and without the box and there is a very noticable difference. So you are not alone in feeling this way. I think it has more to do with the box than the cable companies.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
When Scifi gets on board, I'll be good to go. At this point only about 50% of my viewing is in HD. It will do for now. But what the h.ll is Scifi waiting for?

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
If any of you guys is leaning toward satellite, Dish Network bought VOOM some time ago. Couple of dozen HD channels, a bargain at twice the price.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I'll watch HD the day they pry my regular TV out of my arms and take away all my regular programming.

I have DishNetwork and have no idea if any of the stations are HD nor do I care.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Shadow_Ferret said:
I'll watch HD the day they pry my regular TV out of my arms and take away all my regular programming.

I have DishNetwork and have no idea if any of the stations are HD nor do I care.
Well, Mr. Ferret, all I can say is your loss. :(

I do believe since you are a current Dish subscriber you could get a free HD receiver if you had a HD TV. Dish has the most available HD programing out there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis