HD-A3 sale w/ 10 free back on at Amazon

N

NeverSeen

Audioholic
Just picked it up! No better way to get back at BB than to buy from someone else!

Thanks!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Today the price is $179.
It was $160 this morning, but when the three "free" HD-DVDs were added, it was $199 when I went to check out (which is why I didn't post the deal here for you all). I didn't try adding it this time to see if the total would be $179 with the three movies. Just a heads up to go through to check out to see what the real total will be.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
It seems that the HDA3 can only output in Stereo mode (when compared to the other models)? What does this mean? Does this mean it cannot output in bitstream mode for my receiver?

I was told that you can basically have the DVD player do the TrueHD decoding and send the multi-channel signal to the receiver to pass thru to the speakers. Can the HDA3 do this, or is it only the A30 and the A35 that has this ability??

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
It seems that the HDA3 can only output in Stereo mode (when compared to the other models)? What does this mean? Does this mean it cannot output in bitstream mode for my receiver?

I was told that you can basically have the DVD player do the TrueHD decoding and send the multi-channel signal to the receiver to pass thru to the speakers. Can the HDA3 do this, or is it only the A30 and the A35 that has this ability??
It outputs the digital bitstream and will show DTS on your receiver in 5.1 mode. Only the A30 and A35 do the decoding in the player.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
The A3 does decode True hd, DD,DDPLUS,AND DTS core only. But to utilise the decoders your reciever must have hdmi and be multi-channel lpcm.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
The A3 does decode True hd, DD,DDPLUS,AND DTS core only. But to utilise the decoders your reciever must have hdmi and be multi-channel lpcm.
I don't think that's accurate. The A3 (and A2) pass the new formats signal to your receiver but if your receiver is not capable of decoding the new formats you will only get (show) DTS. The A30 and A35 decode the signal and you can use your analog MC inputs on your receiver to listen to the new formats. If your receiver is capable of decoding the new formats all three players will pass the same signal. There are no MC analog outputs on the A2 or A3.

Read more here.

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
+1
I think you are right sir...Will not send bitstream. I have a Yamaha r-v661 receiver and the A3 sends it's decoded material to it - on the receiver it says "MPCM."

Last edited:
evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Okay, I think I've figured out the mystery behind this 'stereo output' thing. If you go to the Toshiba site and dig around a bit (u won't find the manuals for any of the A3* series!!!) you see that the A3 and A30 have 2 analog stereo outs. The A35 has 5 analog outs (all three have digitial outs via HDMI & optical though). So I am assuming then that the A3 will do bitstream output according to td and duff.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis