HCDP 2.2 Receiver Necessary?

N

nsanto17

Audiophyte
I am building my home theater and i am at the point where i am buying my receiver.

I am thinking about going with the Denon S900W but i see it is not compatible with HCDP 2.2 but is compatible with HDMI 2.0 which gives me the added bandwidth. Should i be concerned with this and get a different receiver? I really don't have much room left in my budget to spend extra on a receiver. So if i need to save more to be fully future compatible then i will but i want to be sure.

Devices i will be connecting to the receiver.
XBOX One
Samsung Cable Box
Wii
Blue Ray Player

I will be using a older 42" Vizio (1080P) tv as the display but i will be getting a 4k UHD tv in the future.

Thank you in advance.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Since all the 4k stuff is in flux, and you definitely want to move towards it, if you want to use this receiver with a 4k TV, I'd say go for the 2.2. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My personal take is that I don't care about 4K or 8K or anything beyond 1080p. :D

I can't even tell a significant improvement between 720p vs 1080p from 10 FT away.

I don't think you can truly benefit from 4K if your TV screen is smaller than 80" and you sit 10 FT away.

I might be able to tell the difference between 1080p vs 4K if my screen were 300" wide.

But if you think you will be able to benefit from 4K over 1080p, then go for HCDP 2.2. The Denon S910W is 2.2. But because it's new, lowest price will probably be about $500.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'll care about 4k when there is some content to look at however, don't expect to be watching most of your video content in 4K for another two to three years.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
AS ADTG has stated, the difference between 1080P and 4k is not noticeable beyond 8ft with a 75" 4k TV. That taken into consideration, there are some other items to talk into account as well.

1. HDR 4k when matured will present color unlike any 1080p TV can provide

2. As soon as 4k Blu Ray players come into the market, late 2015/2016 expect the number of 4k Movies to increase significantly

3. As newer technology advances in picture quality, (i.e. High Dynamic Range) do not expect it to trickle down to 1080P content. With the prices of 4k Dropping, the delta in cost is not as significant as it once was.

I think 4k is still about 1 year away from being relevant, but as a 4k Owner XBR65X850C I can say, to me the picture quality is excellent. That being said I wouldn't be in a rush to run out at get a 4K TV if you are happy with your 1080P set, and if you did, I wouldn't get less than 65, 75 would be better. 65 is considered small for 4k, 42in would be a waste.

W

westside

Audiophyte
My personal take is that I don't care about 4K or 8K or anything beyond 1080p. :D

I can't even tell a significant improvement between 720p vs 1080p from 10 FT away.

I don't think you can truly benefit from 4K if your TV screen is smaller than 80" and you sit 10 FT away.

I might be able to tell the difference between 1080p vs 4K if my screen were 300" wide.

But if you think you will be able to benefit from 4K over 1080p, then go for HCDP 2.2. The Denon S910W is 2.2. But because it's new, lowest price will probably be about $500.
For give me for being stupid about his 4k stuff but I am really confused. I am not planning on getting a new 4k DVD player anytime soon and my current 1080p TV is working fine. When it dies I may have no choice but to get a 4k television. If I did get a 4k TV can I used it with a AV system that is not HCDP2.2 compliant? And If by some miracle, everybody went 4K tomorrow could I still watch quality TV on my non compliant AVR and still have a great picture and sound. I am thinking about getting the Denon AVRX4200w but if the 4100 would work just as good then why pay more?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For give me for being stupid about his 4k stuff but I am really confused. I am not planning on getting a new 4k DVD player anytime soon and my current 1080p TV is working fine. When it dies I may have no choice but to get a 4k television. If I did get a 4k TV can I used it with a AV system that is not HCDP2.2 compliant? And If by some miracle, everybody went 4K tomorrow could I still watch quality TV on my non compliant AVR and still have a great picture and sound. I am thinking about getting the Denon AVRX4200w but if the 4100 would work just as good then why pay more?
1080p/2K video will still work regardless. And the quality of 2K/1080p is about as good as it gets, unless you are Superman or have 20/10 vision. :D

Your eyes can't tell the difference depending on how large your display is and how far you sit from the display. IOW, if your display is 80" wide and you sit 10' away, you will not see the difference. If you sit 5' away from the 80" TV, then you will see a difference. :D

Another thing. Not all 4K are the same, just like not all 2K are the same. 4K video streaming from Netflix and other streaming won't look as good a great 2K Blu-Ray disc.

HDCP 2.2 is for people who can't even tell the difference between 4K vs 2K resolution at 10' away, but feel they gotta have 4K anyway. ;) :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
HDCP 2.2 is for people who can't even tell the difference between 4K vs 2K resolution at 10' away, but feel they gotta have 4K anyway. ;) :D
HDCP 2.2 is for people who want to be able to play copy protected 4k discs. There are plenty of us who could benefit from 4k resolutions, we are not the majority perhaps, but there is no point in arguing against that innovation.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
HDCP 2.2 is for people who want to be able to play copy protected 4k discs. There are plenty of us who could benefit from 4k resolutions, we are not the majority perhaps, but there is no point in arguing against that innovation.
You mean resistance is futile? :D

I know, but I can't help it.

I figured I'll just wait for 8K to come out and then take the plunge. I'll be able to tell the difference between 4K and 8K for sure. :D

So I guess they will make discs for 480p (DVD), 1080p (1080p BD), and 4K (4K BD) ?

I can see people donating their perfectly good 1080p BDs and buying the 4K BDs now. :D

My POV is this. If I can see or hear a significant improvement (1080p vs 480p, DTS vs Dolby ProLogic), then I am 100% for it.

But if I am not going to be able to hear or see a significant improvement, then I just consider it a waste of money.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the only thing that can actually drive demand for 8k resolutions is virtual reality goggles, where the screen must cover nearly your entire vision. I do think 4k will become more widespread, as 35mm film transfers benefit from the extra resolution. Supposedly 8k would max out the grain of 35 mm film, however who knows how slight the gains would be at that stage. It may still be beneficial in some circumstances- keep in mind that 70mm Imax film is considered the equivalent of '18k' resolution, 18,000 horizontal pixels.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I prefer to connect my Oppo directly to the TV. I will do the same if and when I upgrade to 4K (highly doubt that though) so I really don't need HDCP 2.2 AVR/prepro as long as my future BDP and TV have it. I do agree everything else being equal it is better to have it. Problem is, for those who can't wait, but want to take advantage of the steep price drop in discontinued models, they need to know if they truly needs HDCP 2.2.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis