Have any of yall ever heard this sound before? (Not a hum, pop or crackle either)

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
I know this is hard to convey, but here goes. Everytime, or it seems like everytime, I turn on my system and a source begins flowing out of the speakers, I hear what equates to a whistle. The kind of whistle one might hear when calling your dog. It seems to come from the direction of my sub. Its a quick sound, not an over and over sound. Just one quick subtle whistle like sound. Anyone??

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Yeh, I'll see if I can get a recording of it. Its not that big of a deal. It doesnt affect any playback or anything, its just an odd occurrence that baffles me.

Edit: I tried powering down and repowering up, and nothing. It seems to do it when the system has been off for a while. Ill give it a try after I get home form a movie tonight.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I can't say I've ever heard a whistling sound before, but from your description I imagine it has to do with the subwoofer amp powering on.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
Yeh, thats my thinking, but why? It does coincide with the sub amp powering up.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
The best answer i could give you on that will be quite unsatisfying: poor design

S

Stump909

Audioholic Intern
I get this, but it doesnt seem to be related to my hardware...or at least I dont think it is. I find it happens when watching recorded material. If I rewind, sometimes it'll play again.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I know this is hard to convey, but here goes. Everytime, or it seems like everytime, I turn on my system and a source begins flowing out of the speakers, I hear what equates to a whistle. The kind of whistle one might hear when calling your dog. It seems to come from the direction of my sub. Its a quick sound, not an over and over sound. Just one quick subtle whistle like sound. Anyone??
Some part of the circuit is unstable and oscillating while the power caps charge.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Some part of the circuit is unstable and oscillating while the power caps charge.
Quite right ole chap! :D Seriously, that's it. I had a thread about a million years ago about something very similar. I believe they said it was a diode and transistor they had to replace. What got me was that it took 2 months or something. That sub is an Infinity PS-10 and I'm still using it years later. Infinity was good enough to do the work under warranty even though I couldn't find my receipt. I was still pissed that the repair shop took so long. The shop blamed Infinity for being slow sending out the parts.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
OK, tried uploading as an audio file and failed. So I changed it to a video and posted it to youtube. Heres the link. The sound is at the end of the clip. Ignore the actual video, I just used a random piece of a music video so Youtube would accept the upload file.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, tried uploading as an audio file and failed. So I changed it to a video and posted it to youtube. Heres the link. The sound is at the end of the clip. Ignore the actual video, I just used a random piece of a music video so Youtube would accept the upload file.
Yes, it's an oscillation from instability some place.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
And...that means what?? A hookup issue, a hardware issue?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

And...that means what?? A hookup issue, a hardware issue?
It is almost certainly a hardware issue. If it were a hookup issue, there would have to be a signal feedback issue and then I don't think the oscillation would terminate.

I would bet the issue is in the plate amp of the sub, which are high failure, lousy designs generally.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
High frequency switching supplies are notorious for high pitched whines. Is it there all of the time?

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
No, only when I power of my system. When a signal is sent out to all the speakers you hear that sound from the sub and thats it. I wonder if its affecting my sub quality?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No, only when I power of my system. When a signal is sent out to all the speakers you hear that sound from the sub and thats it. I wonder if its affecting my sub quality?
That will likely come later in the form of a continuous loud buzz or total failure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis