Has Audioholics ever reviewed speakers they didn't like or performed poorly?

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I'm not one for bashing a product but I think "negative" reviews are necessary to:
a) warn buyers
b) better appreciate the good stuff

*this has nothing to do with reviews here; just my opinion on the usefulness of reviews of poor performers in general*

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not one for bashing a product but I think "negative" reviews are necessary to:
a) warn buyers
b) better appreciate the good stuff

*this has nothing to do with reviews here; just my opinion on the usefulness of reviews of poor performers in general*
That was my first thought. Reviews are necessary and should be done with as little bias as possible. If a speaker comes out bad, it does. If it comes out good, it does. It is what it is.

Now, going out of your way to measure a known bad speaker just so you can say how bad it really is, seems like a waste of time. Unless it's a speaker people suspect is bad, but haven't been able to verify. That'd be interesting.

Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
Reviews ought to be objective and without bias...but are they truely?
I'd say in most cases mfg who send products out for exposure do so at their expense and this comes in various forms...from shipping costs and costs related to publication, advertising/or sponsorship...so most reviews are a working relationship...from both sides in a manor of speaking. This rule generally removes objectivity...any bean counter can find a silver lining....like they say...if you have a lemon...make lemonade...lol.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It's tough looking at speaker reviews online when so many get raves. Almost makes me nervous... where are the bad ones? There HAS to be some here somewhere. I'm not talking cheap ones either, speakers that charge a lot of money claiming to be high end that are simply trash.
Simple really.......... follow the $$$ !!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's tough looking at speaker reviews online when so many get raves. Almost makes me nervous... where are the bad ones? There HAS to be some here somewhere. I'm not talking cheap ones either, speakers that charge a lot of money claiming to be high end that are simply trash.
Are you talking about “trashy” objective measurements?

Or “trashy” subjective sound quality?

In my experience, speakers that have an on-axis FR deviation of about +/-3dB tend to sound good.

However, some people also love speakers that have a +5dB peak in the treble around 10kHz (B&W, Paradigm, GoldenEar, etc.).

The truth is, even If the speakers don’t have good measurements, some people still love them.

So whether a reviewer loves or hates a speaker isn’t that important to me because that is just their opinion. I just want to see the measurements, even though I know that measurements don’t guarantee how people will think.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis