Has anyone heard the new Sony STR-DA1500ES Stereo Receiver?

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
Does anyone use or has anyone heard the new Sony STR-DA1500ES 95wpc 2-channel stereo receiver? I find no professional or consumer reviews on it, and I'm thinking of this for a small basic 2 channel TV/movie system.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
How much are you looking to spend. I don't think you will find much love for Sony on this forum when it comes to receivers. For a stereo receiver I'd look at H/K, Denon, or Onkyo before Sony. Stereo receivers are generally analog as well, so they don't exactly have too much of a "sound" to them since they typically do no processing. It just comes down to whether or not they have a solid amp section.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
How much are you looking to spend. I don't think you will find much love for Sony on this forum when it comes to receivers. For a stereo receiver I'd look at H/K, Denon, or Onkyo before Sony. Stereo receivers are generally analog as well, so they don't exactly have too much of a "sound" to them since they typically do no processing. It just comes down to whether or not they have a solid amp section.
Yes I want a 2 channel receiver w/o bloody HT processing. Also yes for the Sony because it looks nice to me to replace my Denon that sounds muffled and lacking in detail.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Yes I want a 2 channel receiver w/o bloody HT processing. Also yes for the Sony because it looks nice to me to replace my Denon that sounds muffled and lacking in detail.
I would look at the speakers first. They determine what you hear along with the room. Not the receiver.:)

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
I would look at the speakers first. They determine what you hear along with the room. Not the receiver.:)
Both sets of speakers I've tried (monitors and floorstanders) are a above average and the floorstanders are audiophile caliber. When I downgraded (personal finances) from a Cambridge Audio 640 integrated amp to a used Denon DRA395 80wpc stereo receiver the sound became unbelievably poor. It's the amplification, not the speakers. Sony is known for clarity so I'm considering the 1500ES as a Denon replacement. Plus I love having an AM/FM tuner too.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Outlaw RR2150

If you want a high quality stereo receiver (and I'm a fan of both 2 channel set-ups and a stereo tuner), I'd seriously consider the Outlaw RR2150, http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html. It has bass management which is rare in 2 channel set-ups. When I upgrade my set-up in my home office, I am thinking of going with this. The specs are impressive and if you google the 2150, it has great reviews. If you want something less expensive (the Outlaw is $699), I'd go with the Harmon Kardon 3490 which gets a lot of love on this site (as well as in other reviews), http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/hk-3490. You can pick one up new for $260 or so.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sony would never be a step UP in terms of sound quality from Denon, so you would be going in the wrong direction IMO.

What is the setup (source, exact denon model, etc...) and how is everything connected?

The RR2150 is an excellent choice, but it isn't cheap.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
Sony would never be a step UP in terms of sound quality from Denon, so you would be going in the wrong direction IMO.

What is the setup (source, exact denon model, etc...) and how is everything connected?

The RR2150 is an excellent choice, but it isn't cheap.
Thanks.
I know about the Outlaw, but I'm asking about experiences with the Sony. Incidentally, how can you say the my Denon is better than the Sony 1500es if you have never heard either. Sony and Denon have both made fine products, even great products.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm an "audio gearhead" for lack of a better term and I've heard plenty of Denons and Sonys. I've owned a lot of gear over the years and listened to a lot more. Sony hasn't made a receiver I would buy in many years. Receivers are not Sony's strong point. Not all Denons are created equal, but they have typically had a very good sound over the years. Between the two, I would not expect Sony to best Denon in soud quality. That's all I mean. It could happen, but I doubt it :)

In this case, like I said, if you are hooked up analog, it isn't likely the receiver that is the problem with the sound.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Sony's amp sections are a joke. I've got a sony class AB 100w receiver sitting around at it must weigh about 10lbs and didn't seem to have much current output either.

I would get a Harman/Kardon 3490 and never look back.

Here are gene's measurements - the amp is very robust and will most certainly sound excellent.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/hk-3490/hk-3490-measurements

If this amp can't drive your speakers, then you're either running some electrostats with .5 ohm dips that need krell amps to sound pleasant, or you just have too much imagination on "amp" sound and need to put on a blindfold so that you're listening with your ears, not your eyes.

BTW, does your denon have preamp outs? You could get an outbound amp like this

http://www.emotiva.com/upa2.shtm

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
In this case, like I said, if you are hooked up analog, it isn't likely the receiver that is the problem with the sound.
The stereo receivers I've seen only have analogue inputs. A few integrated amps incorporate digital inputs w/ internal DACs.

The $400 Denon DRA395 80wpc stereo receiver is the problem. When I down-graded form a Cambridge Audio integrated amp to the $400 Denon stereo receiver the sound quality took a major turn for the worse offering up a muddied sound, lacking in detail with an overly soft presentation. I think Denon's effort to offer up a musical sound is a failure here with harshness in the highs, unclear vocals, and soft bass. I've used it with high-end floorstandering speakers and clear monitors on stand with high quality cabling. Yes the receiver is the problem and I think it is the preamp section, because pre-outs to a tube amp sound aweful. I'm looking forward to sell it off. Denons higher end amps are probably better.

I'd really like to have an Anthem 225 integrated amp but finances are very tight so it seems unlikely that it will happen. I wanted to hear folks opinion on the Sony STR1500ES because it looks promising to me, but I can't seem to find any users. Sony has made some highly rated AVRs like the 5400ES so I was hoping their stereo receiver was good too. Maybe I will have to find away to buy that Anthem, as I think it would be a perfect match for my rig, unless another integrated amp or receiver better than the Denon presents itself to me for cheapo. So I was just testing the waters with this post here.

Thanks

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
My experience with Sony ES labeled products has been pleasant. My current HT system consists of a Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro, Sony TA-N9000ES amp, Sony TA-N80ES amp, Sony TA-P9000ES multi-channel preamp, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player, and Sony ST-SA50ES tuner.

Sony ES is legend. Go to the Agoraquest Forum to get information about Sony ES receivers. Folks there may have actual experience with the receiver you are considering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis