Harman Kardon AV 230 powerfull enough to drive MTX 10 monitors?

E

ENIGMAAA

Hello , just found this informative site and wanted to know if the HARMAN KARDON AV 230 receiver is powerfull enough to drive MTX 10 MONITOR speakers (loudspeakers) rated at 150 watts RMS. The HARMAN KARDON is rated at 55 w in DTS or DD mode and 65 w in STEREO mode.Does this mean this receiver lacks substantial power to really push these speakers? Although ,I do know it's a CLEAN powerfull REAL watts receiver I still have the doubt. By the way, does anyone have these budget MTX monitor speakers? Would like to read some opinions. Thankyou for your reading. Waiting for a response. Greetings from COSTA RICA .

annunaki

annunaki

The receiver will allow your speakers to get quite loud, only about 3db less than with the full 150 watts. However, you may not be able to take full advantage of their dynamic capability with only, roughly half, of their rms power.

Remember that 3db difference to the ear is just barely noticable for most people. If it is overall volume you are after, the power the AVR 230 offers would be sufficent. For dynamics and musical ability you may want to find a larger amplifier. Listen before you buy if at all possible. A 10 db difference is perceived as twice as loud or quiet.

E

ENIGMAAA

Thankyou for your response. I checked the speaker info. and it's rated at 92 decibel output. Does this mean this speaker can really take some power?At what decibel rating should I set my receiver for normal music listening. I have it at 0 decibels. Sometimes rise it at + 3 . Does this mean that if I rise it at + 10 it will have more power but at less quality and more distortion ?
Waiting for your reply.

annunaki

annunaki

What the efficency in db means is that at 1watt with a microphone at one meter from the cone the speaker will output 92db of sound. It does not say anything about the speaker's power handling. With 65 watts, your speaker, with a microphone 1 meter from the cone, will do about 110db on paper. This if figuring that it is done in an anechoic enviroment, which your listening room is not. In your listening room, there could be considerable gains or losses from this number depending upon your room's frequency response characteristics.

Typically, on a high quality receiver, the amplifier will reach maximum clean rms power at 0db, or reference level with two channels driven. This is usually not the case in surround mode, it can be different receiver to receiver. Most Harman Kardon receivers I have seen reviewed usually reach .1% thd around -10db on the volume control, with all channels driven simultaneously. Yours could be different. In 2 channel mode I would think it would go to 0db unclipped.

In response to your last question, yes. You will get more power but with increased distortion, most likely becoming audible. You could risk sending the amlpifier into clipping.

U

Unregistered

The AVR230 is a conservatively rated receiver with excellent high-current ability that is well within the MTX10's handing abilities.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis