Hard Drive Storage & Use of DVD's

G

greenthumb

Audiophyte
Guys,

Is there a way to put my DVD's on a hard disk, and then hook up the hard disk to my DVD and play to my flat panel? It seems this would better help me organize them and avoid the DVD's from getting trashed.

Thank-you in advance for advice.

greenthumb

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
What all do you own? A lot of us store all our music on a CPU and stream it to the AVR but this requires a network AVR.

Many people also do the same from the CPU to a PS3 or you can add an external HD to the PS3 and play everything directly off there.

jinjuku

jinjuku

There are a few ways to do this.

I personally use a Windows 7 computer hooked up to the receiver. I have another server with all my DVD's stored.

Another way is a device like the WDTV Live (or live plus). While I had a heckuva time with the WDTV on my network it should work if you have an external USB drive connected to it.

There is also the Popcorn Hour A-200 and Asus O!Play.

95prelude

Audioholic Intern
What all do you own? A lot of us store all our music on a CPU and stream it to the AVR but this requires a network AVR.

Many people also do the same from the CPU to a PS3 or you can add an external HD to the PS3 and play everything directly off there.

How do you store things on a processor? Can u pls show me?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I store music (.flac), DVDs, Blu-Rays on drives and stream them through a Western Digital TV Live. Honestly I can't see myself storing a lot of movies that way because they don't get rewatched all that often but it's a great way to store concert DVDs for quick convenient access. Of course if you have kids it'll save wear and tear on discs and DVD players.

With the WDTV Live you have a couple of choices. You can store music and DVDs on a USB hard drive or on network drive. Because of the amount of bandwidth they need Blu-Rays must be played from a local USB drive.

I prefer WDTV Live because it plays a greater verity of formats and is very intuitive and easy to use. The new Plus version can be found for around $120. Features.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis