Halon's new stuff...

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Innue...ah, it's too darn obvious. :D
Just throwing it out there, waiting for someone to run with it... of course. Thank you Adam sir, for taking the higher road on this one. Fair game to everyone else. :D

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Now I have rear-ended a few dogs in my time but....
PDawg, sounds like you've spent a few too many nights hanging around those cheap seedy dive bars on the outskirts of town.. :D

And I would like to remind everyone else that while it's okay to love your dog, it's not okay to LOVE your dog.... you all have some sick minds. :D :p

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Incidentally, on a more ahem.. relevant note - I watched the movie District 9 last night on blu-ray. Not the most impressive soundtrack I've heard in a movie, but there were a few scenes that really got the room rumbling - felt some low end shaking in there that was absent with the previous arrangement. Looks like the new sub placement is going to work out wonderfully. :) Oh, and since these pictures were taken I actually moved the mains out a little bit more from center, and recalibrated everything with MCACC. Folks we have a winner! :D Still going to get a Great Gramma pad for that sub at some point though.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
So... got my new SCS-01(M)'s set up yesterday finally as my Front L/R mains!! Pictures to follow (and I still owe Mike C a pic of the PB12 sitting on the Gramma pad). All I can say is the difference is phenomenal! Was finally able to get those old JBL's out of the system, place the SBS-01's in the rear - the thing absolutely rocks the house now.

Stay tuned for pics... :D

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
New Pics!

Here are (hopefully) better pictures showing the SCS-01(M)'s set up. I was glad to finally remove the old JBL's from their makeshift wall-brackets as surround speakers, and after a little drywall repair, re-painting, and assembling of new matching speaker stands, here are the results (SBS-01's now being used as surround speakers):

New SCS-01(M)'s:

As viewed from the couch:

PB12-NSD and Gramma pad:

VSX-23txh:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
And just for fun, here's a little before and after sequence (my "system" from a couple of years ago, to what it is today... :D)

Before:

After: (Believe it or not, it is the same exact room, and same spot)

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
The change from old to new set-up is quite an improvement. Looks great!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
So... got my new SCS-01(M)'s set up yesterday finally as my Front L/R mains!! Pictures to follow (and I still owe Mike C a pic of the PB12 sitting on the Gramma pad). All I can say is the difference is phenomenal! Was finally able to get those old JBL's out of the system, place the SBS-01's in the rear - the thing absolutely rocks the house now.

Stay tuned for pics... :D
thanks Halon! pics are much appreciated.

i'm assuming you meant the SCS-01's are phenomenal over the SBS-01's?

can you give us some more comments on the improvements.
i should change my SBS's to SCS's on monday.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
thanks Halon! pics are much appreciated.

i'm assuming you meant the SCS-01's are phenomenal over the SBS-01's?

can you give us some more comments on the improvements.
i should change my SBS's to SCS's on monday.
Well in that context I was referring to the addition of the SCS's, howvere both that and the Gramma have yielded very positive results. The SCS-01(M)'s up front have greatly improved the front soundstage in a number of ways. For one, it has better timbre matched the front three, as the entire LCR set are all now identical. Secondly, the soundstage seems much more wide open and natural, and far more detailed during playback at reference levels. An example of this: had some friends over the other night, and we watched Terminator Salvation on blu-ray... Especially for movies like this with a known good soundtrack I tend to crank my system up quite a bit, and these speakers handled the challenge with barely breaking a sweat. Seems to be a bit of a boost in the 100-200Hz region overall, which seemed to greatly bridge the gap I had noticed between the sub and the SBS-01's when I had them up front. Even though the SBS's are more than capable in that range, from a driver standpoint, I think the extra driver and larger enclosure really helped the detail and impact of challenging action scenes that much better complimented the sub and 80Hz crossover setting. It wasn't bad before by any means, but now it truly rocks! I think the highest compliment I can describe is the look on my friends' faces during some scenes in the movie, and one even commented after, "Man, that was a stressful movie to watch, just because of the sound hitting me from all sides.." :D So in short, this is something I should have done a long time ago, and now very glad I did! I do believe I'll upgrade to the STS tower version of these when I have the space to go full 7.1, at which point I'll put the SCS's on surround duty, and push the SBS's to surround back position. Can't wait for that!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Would also like to add my comments on 2-channel music listening, since this system is primarily used for HT, my comments above reflected that. I have to say, that the new SCS-01(M)'s had my ears perked up on several CD's that I played - noticing little nuances and details in the music that I had not heard before. Everything remained rich, detailed and clear - for example the ping of a drumstick on a ride cymbal... extremely clear yet not harsh, fatiguing or overly bright. One thing I really like about SVS's speakers, as has been noted before by several others are their warm, natural sounding reproduction and this is best observed when playing music that the listener (in this case, me) is most familiar with. I cycled through the various sound schemes on my AVR while listening as well, actually leaving it on Pure Direct for a good while, enjoying the way the music sounded, free of any additional DSP by the AVR.

If anyone has any more specific questions they would like, please let me know, either by PM or as a reply here. I'll be as detailed as I can and hopefully help in any way possible! :)

H

Hittdog

Audioholic Intern
Very classy looking. I like it. I have similar equipment. What is the make of your cabinet that houses your components?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis