F

Fenix

Audioholic
I'm new to the gun market (I've shot many in the past, but it's been quite a few years, and they were all friends guns) and am looking to buy a .22 pistol to start things off (mainly because the ammo and the guns are fairly cheap, and my wife has never shot a gun, so 22s are fairly easy). The gunshop clerk suggested a Browning 22 pistol, and my BIL has a Reuger 22 pistol that he likes. If you guys have suggestions on certain pistols it would be appreciated. However, what I am looking for most of all is where can I research what will be best? I have found many gun forums, and have not had time to really comb through them yet, but on the surface have not found a simple thread suggesting what a good starter 22 pistol would be. Which forums/websites do you guys feel is best for researching information and comparing specs of guns. Also when choosing guns what details do I need to be looking for?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

In the future I do plan to buy more guns, just right now I would like to get a cheap gun that I can work on skills and techniques with.

V

Vracer111

Audioholic
For .22LR this is a pretty good forum site:

Rimfire Central

for more on the competition side there is this:

Target Talk

and this site is very good:

The Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol

Here's a few of the very good 22's that may be of interest to you:

Walther SP22

Walther P22

Ruger 22/45

Ruger Mark III

Can't go wrong with any of those, but the 'best gun' is one that you shoot best with...a combination of grip and targeting and intangible likeness. What would be really good is if you could find a local pistol range that had a selection of .22LR pistols to try out and figure out what best suits you. Or go to a local gun show and get a feel for what pistols feel right to you (grip and control layout) then buy the one you like the best. I had a Ruger Mark III and it was a nice pistol...just not really much into 22 pistols any more and didn't like the trigger (could have had it reworked) or the stock grips. Fixed the grips with a Hogue rubber Target style set...

I will say if you want a semi-auto .22LR rifle down the road I'd highly recommend the SIG 522...has to be one of the funnest' rifles to shoot, is very accurate, and will shoot just about any ammo you throw at it and not jam... even without cleaning for nearly 1000+ rounds. A great .22 semi-auto rifle, not too expensive (Cost less than my Ruger Pistol when it was stock...), and sexy too!

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I second the Ruger 22/45. I bought my Son one two years ago and he loves it.

And no he did not fire it without hearing protection. That was for picture taking purposes only:)

itschris

itschris

Hey Fenix, what you're asking for... a consensus... doesn't exist. it's no different then the people who come here and ask "what's the best speaker?" It'll depend.

Here's my take, both guns you mention are quality pieces that will serve you well. What makes one right for you is whether or not features, price, feel, etc. meet your needs and expectations. I'll give you an example. Glock vs XD. I'm not one of the guys who'll argue which one is better. Anyone who says one or the other sucks is just an idiot and you can dismiss anything they say. I've gotten rid of my Glocks and have switched to XD... not because my Glock was a bad gun... the thing is it just never felt good in my hand...ever. It was a great gun, an absolutely reliable tac-driver, but I just felt awkward with it. A few years ago, I shot my buddies XD, and it just fit my hand like a glove. It felt like an extention of my hand that's how good it fits... the only thing better is my custom 1911's.

So what I would suggest is that you go to a good gun store and handle the guns. Don't be pressured to make any decisions. Just go and hold the guns.. handle them, point them (in a safe direction) and get a feel for them. See what features they have, how the safetys works, the slide stop. Feel the trigger pull... all those things. You'll be surprised how different two guns can be and you'll be even more surprised that you'll quickly develop preferences.

That's my 2 cents.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
Hey Fenix, what you're asking for... a consensus... doesn't exist. it's no different then the people who come here and ask "what's the best speaker?" It'll depend.
I've been finding that out more and more. Last night my wife and I stopped by the local indoor firing range and looked at some of their guns. We're going to go shooting with my BIL on Saturday to try out his Ruger and some of his other guns. We'll see if my wife likes the Ruger. Right now she's liking some of the lighter weight guns that are more like normal carrying handguns. So, we may end up getting one of those.

itschris

itschris

I've been finding that out more and more. Last night my wife and I stopped by the local indoor firing range and looked at some of their guns. We're going to go shooting with my BIL on Saturday to try out his Ruger and some of his other guns. We'll see if my wife likes the Ruger. Right now she's liking some of the lighter weight guns that are more like normal carrying handguns. So, we may end up getting one of those.
If you can, check out the Ruger LCR series of revolvers. Very lightweight.. but I'm not sure it comes in 22 though. A 38 is a fine caliber, however, and maybe worth considering. If that's the case... S&W has the new Bodyguard series which are nice too.

itschris

itschris

Thinking about it... it may be worth considering a gun for carry first. A gun you can carry is also one you can shoot at the range... but a gun for the range may not be one you can really carry.

So just consider the utility factor as well.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
Thinking about it... it may be worth considering a gun for carry first. A gun you can carry is also one you can shoot at the range... but a gun for the range may not be one you can really carry.

So just consider the utility factor as well.
I'm not planning on having this gun as a carry gun. I just want one that is cheap to shoot, and right now 22 is the cheapest. I only plan on using this gun at the range and get used to shooting handguns. Once we get carrying guns they are probably going to be 40 or 45 caliber guns. I just need to save up a bit more before getting those, but at least for now I can afford a 22 and take it to the range.

itschris

itschris

I'm not planning on having this gun as a carry gun. I just want one that is cheap to shoot, and right now 22 is the cheapest. I only plan on using this gun at the range and get used to shooting handguns. Once we get carrying guns they are probably going to be 40 or 45 caliber guns. I just need to save up a bit more before getting those, but at least for now I can afford a 22 and take it to the range.
I understand... but just consider getting the gun you ultimately need though. Let's say you get a 45 for carry. You're going to need a lot of range time with it to be profocient anyways. Just food for thought.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
Well, who knows. Maybe my wife will want to pick up more than one gun after this weekend and just charge the CC. Usually we prefer to stay away from CC but lately we've had to put stuff on it for education, home improvement, and business startup costs. We'll see what happens. I would love to get 2 or 3 guns, it's all a matter of money.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
Well, the firing range we are going to on Sat has handgun rentals for $7 and it will let us switch out between all the handguns we want for the flat rate of $7, all we have to do is but the ammo, so perhaps we'll find something that we like.

itschris

itschris

Well, the firing range we are going to on Sat has handgun rentals for $7 and it will let us switch out between all the handguns we want for the flat rate of $7, all we have to do is but the ammo, so perhaps we'll find something that we like.
That's the smart thing to do. Seriously... you couldn't go about it better. My earlier comments weren't trying to disuade you from any particular gun. My point was that if icould only buy one gun, id buy one that will serve its primary purpose first... protection be it carry or nightstand or both. I would spend all my range time and available funds shotting the gun that I will use to protect my life with to get proficient. A fun range gun can always come later. Let us know what you decide and what guns you shoot and your thoughts.

T

tzadik

Enthusiast
I have a browning Buck Mark and love it. It is a cheap way to get out and shooting along with my ruger 10/22. I haven't shot any other .22 pistols but from what I have seen on this thread and by wom I suggest anything Browning has made.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
We went out Shooting on Sat and had fun. We shot a Ruger 10/22, a .22 revolver (not sure the brand), Glock .40, HK 9mm, Sig 9mm, and an XD 9mm. My wife is liking the .22s so far because they have less recoil. We are going back to the range tonight to try a bunch of .22s to see which ones she likes. She was able to handle the 9mm and the .40, but would like to build up her strength and skills more before getting some of the larger calibers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was at the shop yesterday looking at pistols as well. Didn't fire any yet, but looked at some Sigs, XDs, and a Kimber. I have to go back and fire some rounds on them, but there's a good chance I will pick up the midsize XD; not sure if 9 or .40. My chick already has a 380 and a .22 and she isn't sure about moving to something larger either. We'll have to go put some rounds in at the range and see what she thinks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis