Guide to building XLR balanced cables w/ Star Quad --where?

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
Although they are relatively inexpensive to purchase, I would like to build some XLR balanced IC's using Canare L-4E6S Star Quad and Neutrik connectors. There are some decent guides out there on the Web that I found in which two conductor shielded cable is used, but I cannot locate a graphic guide showing the construction with a four conductor cable in a star quad configuration.

I realize that it is a matter of twisting the reds together and the whites together, but the details of finesse of how to go about the wiring of the Neutrik XLR connectors escapes me and I know it cannot be rocket science, but does take good soldering skills.

Can anyone point me to a graphic DIY guide of making XLR balanced IC's using Star Quad shielded cable?

Thanks,

MikeSp

(PS -- did not know whether to post this in the DIY or Cable forums -- hope this is OK)

M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
I actually haven't had good luck with Neutrik connectors. They are touted as being good quality, but I had a few of their sleeved RCAs literally come apart on me.

http://www.google.com/images?q=xlr+wiring&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=on-zTMrwFZHSuwO4_tT9Bg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCsQsAQwAw&biw=1126&bih=583
Good link -- THANKS!!!

IF not neutrik XLR's -- what do you recommend -- Vampire or Switchcraft or ??

Mike

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, Vampire, but I took a look at Bluejeans and they say they like the Neutrik XLR connectors, so that likely means the XLRs are better quality than the RCAs because Bluejeans typically only uses the good stuff :)

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm

As you mentioned, why build these when you can buy them already made so cheap?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I realize that it is a matter of twisting the reds together and the whites together, but the details of finesse of how to go about the wiring of the Neutrik XLR connectors escapes me and I know it cannot be rocket science, but does take good soldering skills.

Can anyone point me to a graphic DIY guide of making XLR balanced IC's using Star Quad shielded cable?
Not sure I understand the dilemma. You’ve found some good illustrated guides on making up XLR cables. You know with the quad star you’ll have to twist the reds and whites together. After that you just solder the leads to the XLR like any other twin-conductor cable. Seems painfully obvious, so I assume I’m not understanding something?

IF not neutrik XLR's -- what do you recommend -- Vampire or Switchcraft or ??
If these are the Vampire XLRs your talking about, don’t waste your money. They’re junk. This post will explain why. Stick with Neutrik or Switchcraft.

BTW, if you ever need to make cables with RCAs - Neutrik makes a few different plugs and I can’t speak for all of them, but these are excellent connectors.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MikeSp

Junior Audioholic
Not sure I understand the dilemma. You’ve found some good illustrated guides on making up XLR cables. You know with the quad star you’ll have to twist the reds and whites together. After that you just solder the leads to the XLR like any other twin-conductor cable. Seems painfully obvious, so I assume I’m not understanding something?

<SNIP>

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks for your response -- I guess what seemed painfully obvious actually was as such -- I was merely searching for any tidbits of wisdom that might be specialized toward using quad star in which the process of creating the soldered connections might be slightly different and in addition to that used when utilizing two conductor shielded cable.

Thanks again,

MikeSp

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Yup, no difference from a regular mic cable once the four conductors are “reduced” to two by twisting the pairs together. Personally I’m not fond of the star-quad. It’s a pain to work with and doesn’t get you any audible benefit compared to standard two-conductor.

BTW, there’s an illustrated cable-making article linked in my signature that will give you some tips on dealing with that brutal Canare shield.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis