Guide on proper projector and screen install?

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
I am going to install my new Epson 6010 projector and vapex 120" electric screen and am trying to find something on how to do it right. How do I determine where I want the PJ, how far back etc?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I am going to install my new Epson 6010 projector and vapex 120" electric screen and am trying to find something on how to do it right. How do I determine where I want the PJ, how far back etc?
Are you rear shelf mounting or ceiling mounting? I recommend mounting the projector at the medium zoom distance for the screen size.

That would be 16' for the Epson 6010.

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
Are you rear shelf mounting or ceiling mounting? I recommend mounting the projector at the medium zoom distance for the screen size.

That would be 16' for the Epson 6010.
I will be ceiling mounting this unit. My first row of seating is at 13ft from the screen, second row about 18ft, so I guess 16ft would be in the middle of those and not hanging over anyone's head. :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I will be ceiling mounting this unit. My first row of seating is at 13ft from the screen, second row about 18ft, so I guess 16ft would be in the middle of those and not hanging over anyone's head. :D
I'd honestly just rear shelf mount the projector and save the cord runs. Your PJ has the brightness for it and you can always ceiling mount it later if you don't like it.

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
I'd honestly just rear shelf mount the projector and save the cord runs. Your PJ has the brightness for it and you can always ceiling mount it later if you don't like it.
So, I can shelf mount it from 23 feet on to a 120" screen and still have plenty of brightness for 3D etc?

This is going to be my first projector, so I have no idea what to expect or compare it to.

I don't even know what to expect as far as picture quality, compared to a normal lcd or plasma tv.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
So, I can shelf mount it from 23 feet on to a 120" screen and still have plenty of brightness for 3D etc?

This is going to be my first projector, so I have no idea what to expect or compare it to.

I don't even know what to expect as far as picture quality, compared to a normal lcd or plasma tv.
Probably. Do you have good control of your lighting? What color are your walls?

Congrats on the projector. You picked a nice one. I'm sure you'll love it.

A projector won't give you the same black levels as a plasma, but I think that you'll be very happy with what this will give you.

majorloser

majorloser

23 feet seems a bit far for me. I like to be closer to the low end on a projector's throw distance. Gives you a brighter image. No matter how dark you can make the room, there's always a time when you'd like to have a little ambient light in the room. Like watching sports or entertaining guests with food and drinks.

The one thing I don't see mentioned is the screen. What brand and what material? The screen gain and color make a difference.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
23 feet seems a bit far for me. I like to be closer to the low end on a projector's throw distance. Gives you a brighter image. No matter how dark you can make the room, there's always a time when you'd like to have a little ambient light in the room. Like watching sports or entertaining guests with food and drinks.

The one thing I don't see mentioned is the screen. What brand and what material? The screen gain and color make a difference.
This is a very bright model. It's still in ambient light range even at 23' Besides you can always ceiling mount it later if necessary I can watch my PJ in the middle of the day with a similar brightness.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The projector ideally should be mounted between 1/4 and 1/3 back from the closest possible range in the zoom. With this projector it is a 12' to 25' throw for 120" diagonal, so I would be at about 14-15 feet from lens to screen if possible.

The height of the projector should be just a few inches above the top of the screen if possible to minimize the amount of lens shift used which will help eliminate any possibilities of lens aberations.

The screen, I am guessing is a tab-tensioned version as you hopefully did not completely waste your money on a non-tab-tensioned motorized screen.

The room, if it is not painted dark, really should be for best results. This includes walls and ceiling.

Likewise the carpet should be as dark as possible.

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
Probably. Do you have good control of your lighting? What color are your walls?

Congrats on the projector. You picked a nice one. I'm sure you'll love it.

A projector won't give you the same black levels as a plasma, but I think that you'll be very happy with what this will give you.
I have 100% light control in my media room. I can get it so dark you can't even see the whites of their eyes. :eek:

My walls are a deep maroon color, pretty dark actually, but the ceiling is a flat white, I may end up changing that.

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic

The screen is: VApex 120" Tensioned Electric Projector Screen Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics

It is the 120" version.

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
The projector ideally should be mounted between 1/4 and 1/3 back from the closest possible range in the zoom. With this projector it is a 12' to 25' throw for 120" diagonal, so I would be at about 14-15 feet from lens to screen if possible.

I can easily mount it at this distance.

The height of the projector should be just a few inches above the top of the screen if possible to minimize the amount of lens shift used which will help eliminate any possibilities of lens aberations.

Do you mean the center of the lens should be at the same level as the top of the viewing part of the screen? Thought I saw that somewhere, but not sure.

The screen, I am guessing is a tab-tensioned version as you hopefully did not completely waste your money on a non-tab-tensioned motorized screen.

Yes, it is a tab-tensioned screen, I do not want to deal with a wavy screen down the road.

The room, if it is not painted dark, really should be for best results. This includes walls and ceiling.

My walls are all set, although I used a Satin, I will probably go over them again with the same deep maroon in a flat to reduce light reflections. My ceiling on the other hand needs to be repainted I see now.

Likewise the carpet should be as dark as possible.
Sadly, when I had new carpet installed a week or so ago, I did not think about that and the whole upstairs has the same carpet, it is a darkish tan, but still not what I would call a dark color. Too late to change that, but I have had the lights off and it isn't bad at all actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Sadly, when I had new carpet installed a week or so ago, I did not think about that and the whole upstairs has the same carpet, it is a darkish tan, but still not what I would call a dark color. Too late to change that, but I have had the lights off and it isn't bad at all actually.
I use a projector in an all tan room. Keeping windows covered and having a good screen really helps. Of course I don't have the option of painting where I live.

Last edited by a moderator:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like you are pretty much set.

Yes, the center of the lens should be at or within a few inches of the top of the screen. When referring to a screen the discussion is ALWAYS about the projected image on screen - the 'viewing area' - not the screen itself. :)

The satin paint may be okay, but the ceiling is something that I would recommend you take care of first.

Beatings will be handed out for your choice of carpet color.

Of course, I won't hand those beatings out as it just wouldn't be successful.

Sounds like a pretty solid space and you should have years of good movie viewing time in there!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis