Grill Cloth on my Cornwall

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Yesterday, I attached grill cloth to the grill card for my Klipsch Cornwall speaker. I hadn't even noticed until yesterday that someone had chopped off the port section of the grill. That's ok. It was straight and looks pretty good that way. Good thing I painted inside the ports earlier. Also attached a period-correct badge that a guy on the Vintage Klipsch Fans page sent to me at no charge months ago. Also, good thing I don't have cats. I took all day to do it. Gluing and clamping one edge at a time. Thats a pine strip on the front on the riser. It was a little banged up on the edges, so I attached that.

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Only one guy thinks this looks good. Hmm. Ok two. Gotta count myself :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Only one guy thinks this looks good. Hmm. Ok two. Gotta count myself :)
It doesn't matter if anybody else likes or dislikes it. It's your speaker. Don't post pics looking for approval, just post em' for fun.:)

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Probably the way they are supposed to be, so as not to cause port resistance.
Reading this again, I am having trouble discerning which way you are going with your reply. Whether you think the ports should be covered or not. Not that I will change it. I like it this way.
Edit: I think I get it now. But photos of this era of CW's show a full grill.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Reading this again, I am having trouble discerning which way you are going with your reply. Whether you think the ports should be covered or not. Not that I will change it. I like it this way.
Edit: I think I get it now. But photos of this era of CW's show a full grill.
In that case probably someone modified it, to reduce port resistance. If there is high output bass then there will be a lot of airflow from the ports.
In a tuned enclosure, at tuning most of the sound comes from the port and not the speaker cone.

These are the ports on my bass lines. I used and open mesh metal grill each side. If you play an LT tone at power it will blow out a lighter.

This is the port of my in wall TL. It is the white grill to the left of the lower power amp.

The vent air velocity of a tuned reflex enclosure is of the order of 20 m/sec. That is a lot of air movement.

Back in the 50s before Thiele/Small, Gilbert Briggs in his books on DIY speakers, suggested tuning enclosures by playing a low tone and setting the port parameters by if it would blow out a candle! Yes, I followed that advice many years ago. Trouble is the first time I tried it, I had damped the speaker with cotton wool and the candle set it alight!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
In that case probably someone modified it, to reduce port resistance. If there is high output bass then there will be a lot of airflow from the ports.
In a tuned enclosure, at tuning most of the sound comes from the port and not the speaker cone.

These are the ports on my bass lines. I used and open mesh metal grill each side. If you play an LT tone at power it will blow out a lighter.

This is the port of my in wall TL. It is the white grill to the left of the lower power amp.

The vent air velocity of a tuned reflex enclosure is of the order of 20 m/sec. That is a lot of air movement.

Back in the 50s before Thiele/Small, Gilbert Briggs in his books on DIY speakers, suggested tuning enclosures by playing a low tone and setting the port parameters by if it would blow out a candle! Yes, I followed that advice many years ago. Trouble is the first time I tried it, I had damped the speaker with cotton wool and the candle set it alight!
I'll have to check if I have that kind of air movement. I did change the woofer to a supposedly more powerful Crites, so that alone changed the engineering of the speaker.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis