Green Mountain Audio Europas

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Partially, but what this thread has really become is a debate on loudspeaker design philosophy/engineering. Quite fitting for an audio forum, though I'm sure it will suffer similar fate of a political thread.
I'd think that terribly cool. What is more interesting a discussion? A pair of speakers or an entire design philosophy?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Partially, but what this thread has really become is a debate on loudspeaker design philosophy/engineering. Quite fitting for an audio forum, though I'm sure it will suffer similar fate of a political thread.
I'm more optimistic!
If it hasn't got there yet, there is hope it never will!

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
As far as I'm concerned there's nothing political (in tone or emotion - at least for most involved) in here at all. Sure there are misunderstandings, there are also emotions - but largely well kept under control. I think the discussion serves as a good underlying architecture for a review of these speakers. I think Roy and I have both misunderstood each other in several posts - but we are getting somewhere IMHO.

The crux of the 'conflict' if there even is any - is whether the subjective trumps the objective - and further if it does (i.e. if the subjective is, for all intents and purposes, the ONLY criteria that matters) then how can one person say that there is something wrong with another person's subjective analysis being different.

To recap - this entire discussion began based on subjective analysis alone for the most part. Jerry did not begin his review with "I didn't bother to audition these speakers because the response graphed so poorly I didn't care". Had he said this, then it would make much more sense.

@Dr. Parthipan - I agree wholeheartedly with you on this. It is that resistance that I take umbridge to - not that time-coherency makes an inherently better speaker. I believe I posited that I believed as much in a previous post.

@davidtwotrees - I too appreciate Roy's contributions here, and look forward to more as I throroughly research the materials presented on his site and the indicated 3rd party research materials/papers listed as well. However, the 'forthcoming' is a bit less unclear to me.

Often the statement is made that 'the scientific explanation is presented clearly' on his site - or that the 'exact description of how the measurements were achieved' are presented along side the specifications. This is clearly not the case - or at least if it is they are not 'exact descriptions'. There are narratives to be sure and some extensive background theory and historical documentation - however, none of these does more than describe theory.

However, I would ask you directly (and I'm hoping that this does not come across as argumentative, because I swear that's the last thing I'm going for)... If the subjective assessment of audio equipment - be it speakers, amps, sources, cables, etc... is paramount in the consideration - do you believe that one person can then ever be 'right' for anyone but themselves? For me at least this is the real issue. I've listed at least two pairs of speakers I own that I love in one way or another that measure poorly and are in general disregarded for this. I understand this because they are not able to hear the speakers with my ears and my brain.

But this leaves that nagging question - is it because my ears are 'better', or my methodologies 'better' for critically listening to them? Or is it simply a matter of personal preferrence? I believe it is the latter, and that my ears are no better or worse than anyone elses - with the exception of hearing losses, etc.

I do not believe, nor have I said that Roy is "selling snake oil" - simply that I have an issue with the way in which his site and his posts present his engineering and singular genius in this area. Throughout human history there have always been men of significant intellect and insight that have posited what was deemed heresy in the face of the status quo. However, where would be be today if Galileo, Neuton, Einstein, Bose (Jagadish or Satyendra not Amar), Edison, etc... had simply said - I've discovered something fantastic, that will change everything... but I can't be bothered to reveal it's details to you or to document it properly and submit it for peer-review and publication.

Make no mistake about it, I firmly believe that the enjoyment of music and therefore the relationship with the equipment we use to enjoy it is completely subjective - and varies from person to person (as long as it at least covers the basics needed to present identifiable aural information). However, I also believe (and I doubt Roy would disagree with this at all) that the manufacture, design, and production of that equipment is simply a matter of science and engineering. The math and physics - according to Roy - is the source of the GMA sound. Yet science and mathematics, by their very nature, can not be subjective at all... else they would not be reproduceable, nor able to be expanded upon by others.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I was laughingly comparing (note the funny face icon in my post #397) the dogmatic circular debate, that reminded me so much of the political debates of old.
Never did I say, or imply that the thread wasn't 'fitting' for an audio forum.
I can't imagine the confusion and double-talk that's gone on for 400+ pages; if my simple two line post was misunderstood.

Kudos to Roy J for holding out as long as he did.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'd think that terribly cool. What is more interesting a discussion? A pair of speakers or an entire design philosophy?
I think we should design a pair of speakers, by committee. Think we could finish by the turn of the century?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I think we should design a pair of speakers, by committee. Think we could finish by the turn of the century?
I have my eye on an exquisite birch tree with very nice lines, I will only use manual hand tools so I should have ample time to get the box material ready :)

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I started this hobby in the late nineties and my mentor owned a pair of JBL Hartsfields from the fifties. Powered by Marantz tube amps. Beautiful sounding rig. I started reading up on JBL and their historical site was fascinating, with some pretty heavy hitters, audiospeaking wise. They had been working on a pair of Heritagespeakers for years. The May Project which has been going on for years, now. Pretty sweet that JBL donated a set of Everest K2S9800 drivers to the message board. I've owned some JBL L65's, and a pair of big Altecs, too. Nice. Speakers are good things................:)

highfigh

highfigh

I have my eye on an exquisite birch tree with very nice lines, I will only use manual hand tools so I should have ample time to get the box material ready :)
I think you would be surprised by how fast hand tools can take logs to dimensional lumber, when used by someone who really knows how to use them.

The planes in the link are actually made to use, not just fer lookin' perty, but they could just as well sit in a display case.
http://www.marcouplanes.co.nz/index.php/marcourplanes

Woodworking without power tools is sometimes called 'handraulics'.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I think you would be surprised by how fast hand tools can take logs to dimensional lumber, when used by someone who really knows how to use them.

The planes in the link are actually made to use, not just fer lookin' perty, but they could just as well sit in a display case.
http://www.marcouplanes.co.nz/index.php/marcourplanes

Woodworking without power tools is sometimes called 'handraulics'.
Actually I think you yourself would be more surprised at how many times I have used such block planes and even more so manual shapers and such, hence my name sawzalot.I am a master carpenter and Victorian trim replicator in a little town called Cape May, one of the oldest Sea Shore Resorts in the country where all exterior trim must remain original in replacement, no vinyl here mostly spanish cedar and mahogany, my planes don't look perty as you say but mine look used very much so. To start with a felled tree I believe a two man saw, one high and one low would be the first order of approach, long before the planes and shapers.

Now back to the regular scheduled program " GMA " :)

sorry for the interruption Audiophiles :eek:

highfigh

highfigh

Actually I think you yourself would be more surprised at how many times I have used such block planes and even more so manual shapers and such, hence my name sawzalot.I am a master carpenter and Victorian trim replicator in a little town called Cape May, one of the oldest Sea Shore Resorts in the country where all exterior trim must remain original in replacement, no vinyl here mostly spanish cedar and mahogany, my planes don't look perty as you say but mine look used very much so. To start with a felled tree I believe a two man saw, one high and one low would be the first order of approach, long before the planes and shapers.

sorry for the interruption Audiophiles :eek:
Having seen your user name 1000 times, I can't believe I actually worded my response the way I did. Sorry about that.

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
Especially since the speakers in question are made from engineered stone as far as the cabinets are concerned I believe. ;)

Hard to get a plane on those... However, I guess the thread is pretty much on hold until there's a final analysis - which I think will have to wait until there is some back and forth with Roy to determine if there is indeed some sort of shipping damage, or if there is the remotest of a possibility for someone to simply not like their sound as much as another pair of speakers. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis