Greatest Rock Album of All Time

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

geo75 said:
AC/DC Back in Black.
Back in Black?! :eek: A great one to be sure, but it's not even AC/DC's best album, much less the best album ever! That honor must go to Dirty Deeds. :p

M

mawst95

Audioholic Intern
I read up to page 2 then skipped to the end. I understand the accomplishments of Pink Floyd, but are they really Rock & Roll? Don't you have to have a guitar riff or something to be considered Rock? Same thing with Billy Joel. Metallica is more Metal then "Rock"....I have no idea what Pink Floyd is, but I'm not sure if it fits the Rock genre, like a Van Halen, Rolling Stones, CCR, or Led Zeplin would....IMHO.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Pink Floyd's David Gilmour is a tremendous guitarist, and they band tosses out some tasty riffs. How much Floyd have you heard? :confused:

B

Big Ears

Audiophyte
I'm into hard driving guitars. When you say Rock, I think guitars loud and in your face. PF and the others, while still classified as Rock, I beleive should go into a different category. So my shortlist all equally BA:
1-AC/DC-Back in Black
2-Van Halen-Van Halen
3-Ozzy-Blizzard of OZ
4-Judas Priest-Screaming for Vengence
5-Iron Maidan-Number of the Beast
6-Ronnie James Dio-Holy Diver
7-Megadeth-Holy Wars
8-Pantera-Cowboys From Hell
9-Joe Satriani-Surfing with the Alien
10-Slayer-South of Heaven

BTW-I like all kinds of music, but these 10 albums are the epitome of what I consider the pinicle of Rock guitar and IMO will never be duplicated.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It's hard to classify music, especially since the classifications change over time. When I was young and Van Halen first came on the scene they were considered Heavy Metal, but are now Classic Rock.

Pink Floyd is usually classified as Progressive Rock.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
And the difference between rock and heavy metal is? Nothing. Another name for heavy rock/soft rock/ its rock.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
True, rock is a blanket term. Most record stores now combine rock/pop into one single category but they now have sub-genres like classic rock, hard rock, metal etc.

It's all so arbitrary. Why is Iron Maiden 'hard rock' while Judas Priest is 'metal'. Their musical style is similar - like two peas in a pod.

B

Bevan

Audioholic
how bout these:

Dave Matthews Band - Crash
Pearl Jam - 10
Radiohead - O.K computer
Peter Gabriel - Up
Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen
R.E.M - Automatic For The People
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Metalica - Kill Em All
AC/DC - Back in Black
Rage Against The Machine - RATM
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Ben Harper - Fight For Your Mind
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Beck - Sea Change
Dave Matthews Band - Live At Luther College
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

B

Big Ears

Audiophyte
It's really hard to classify any band into a category. Most bands have different types of songs on every album. Take Black Sabbath for instance; they have always been classified as heavy metal, yet on every album there are songs like "Planet Caravan." or "Changes" Hardly metal songs, IMO.

Also, take one of my favorite bands, Led Zepplin. Considered by some as one of the greatest Rock bands of all time. IMO, they are a blues band. If you study the guitar chops of Jimmy Page, 90% of his playing is based in the major and minor blues scales and chords. Many of their most popular songs are covers of old blues legends like Ledbelly, Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf. AC/DC is another band that derrives most of their chops from the blues. They are more in the Boggie Woogie vain of John Lee Hooker, but still it's just the blues.

I think the term Heavy Metal was invented as a term to describe the harder edge rock that was comming on in the early seventies from the likes of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath. People had to come up with antoher term to differenciate between the Rolling Stones/Beatles style and the long hair "devil" music of the time. Fast forward to the late seventies/early eighties and bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden took the genre to the next level; adding twin guitars blazing through riffs like Satan on crack. Then Metallica changed everything with "Kill em All" (should have been on my list, I forgot) With Metallica, they were so different from everything esle, a new category was invented. "Thrash" was born. And so on and so on. Rock continues to evolve every year. It seems to be in a "lag" of sorts right now, as sales clearly demonstrate, but the future is bright. On any given Tuesday something new can come out that will change everything once agian. I hope so, I really miss real guitar players that actually play solos and lyrics that are poety, not just about some chick you just broke up with or you really want to bang.

I chose the albums on my list because IMO they best represent the evolution of rock guitar. My list should really be top 50 albums to demonstrate what I'm talking about, but you get the idea.

A few examples of what I'm taking about: give Dio "Don't Talk to Strangers" a spin and listen to Vivian Cambell tear it up. Or, try Holy Wars and listen to Dave and Marty rip it in total syncopation. Like it slower, try "Children of the Dammed" or "Hallowed be thy Name". etc. etc. Oh, and Joe Satriani is really in a league all his own. :D

Well there's my nickel...

Last edited:
Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I dislike the term heavy metal. I've always prefered hard rock. Most of the bands I listened to growing up, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Blue Oyster Cult, Montrose, Aerosmith, and even Judas Priest, were all just considered "hard rock" when I was listening to them.

Now they're called heavy metal. Go figure.

By the way, Big Ears, if you study Tony Iommi's licks, his are blues based, too. In fact, if you dissect most rock music, it's pretty much all based on blues scales.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
The most influential albums, which is to say they hold the most meaning in MY life, without regard to genre or necessarily "greatness" have been:

Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold as Love, Electric Ladyland
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Van Halen - Van Halen
Def Leppard - Pyromania & Hysteria
Red Rider - As Far as Siam
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Police - Synchronicity
The Clash - Combat Rock
U2 - War, Joshua Tree, & Achtung Baby
Herb Alpert - Rise
Eric Clapton - Journeyman & Timepieces
Blade Runner - Soundtrack
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance & Turbo
AC/ DC - For Those About to Rock, Highway to Hell, & Back in Black
Ray Charles - Greatest Hits
Prince - Purple Rain & 1999
INXS - Kick
Willie Nelson - Stardust
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
Journey - Greatest Hits
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction & Use Your Illusions I & II

B

bodhisattva

Audiophyte
Captain Beyond 1st Album

Who Live At Leeds

Who Quadrophenia

Radiohead the bends

Raging Slab Dynamite Monster Boogie Concert

TURN IT UP!!!! :D

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
Okay I think I will add to my List then....Since we can all agree heavy can be classified here to.

Nine Inch Nails- All OF Em
Metallica- Ride The Lightning
Offspring- Americana
Deftones- Around The Fur
System Of A Down- All of em
Megadeth- Countdown To Extinction
Stevie Ray Vaugh- Greatest Hits Vol 2
A Perfect Circle- Mer De Nomos, Thirteenth Step
Tool- Lateralus
In Flames- All of Em
Lacuna Coil- Comalies

~Bob

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
Queensrÿche - Operation:Mindcrime

Shadow_Ferret said:
I dislike the term heavy metal. I've always prefered hard rock.
Me too..I think categories are stupid and senseless...

R

Rtstrider

Junior Audioholic
I'm a nu-metal guy, but my fav album of all time....

Taproot - Gift

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
What exactly is "nu-metal?" How does that differ from metal? And while I'm at it, how does that differ from hard rock? :rolleyes:

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
slowly approaching old agedom,it's hard to keep up with alot of the new trends and labels that pop up every few years to pigeonhole rock groups. I can certainly tell that there is a distinct difference between nu-metal bands such as disturbed and slipknot versus slayer and megadeth..I think that most bands and musicians could care less about labels and most would just consider themselves rock (i know,even that is a label). The labels and pigeonholing are usually the result of some self important journalist or critic that can't keep themselves from tagging a particular band or musician with some sort of label.

a few favorite albums of mine...

slayer - reign in blood......after all these years, i still love this album and i'm still amazed at the brutality and aggression that just screams out of the speakers at you. This release still has not been matched in intensity, in my opinion, by any other 'popular' metal band to this day..as much as i love metallica, slayer pretty much mops up the floor with them because of this release alone.

rush - permanent waves...nothing is really left to say about this masterpiece.With such an amazing body of work, its hard to put any of their titles above one another...i have to put this at the top because of two words...' natural science '

ben folds five - whatever and ever amen.....I love this album because of a few different reasons, the absence of an egotistical guitar player being one of them. With such a unique sound, sarcastic lyrics, tight harmonies and backing vocals this group had my attention from the get go.

I could go on and on, but bandwidth is a premium around here so i'll keep it limited to these few for now....i love the thread and its great to see so many different favorites and influences from everyone involved with the audioholics site.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
hidog1 said:
I can only hope a lot of the CRAP that was suggested here was tongue and cheek... More likely head up ( | ).

Only two people mentioned the Beatles???

Of course, Styx was in a league of their own (BUSH!). Why not RAT (the great Rat Droppings album) or Journey, or the Jefferson Starship (Mickey "Your So Vain" Thomas iteration). Glad to see Steeley Dan (that pretentious bunch of elevator music makers) made it and Wings over America??? are you friggin kidding me... Silly Love Songs... (John Lennon rolling over in his grave).

Are you people on drugs??? Naw, if you were, your musical taste would be much better.

I gotta admire the guy who said Pavarotti

RANT OVER

No, being on drugs causes people to listen to things like the Grateful Dead, so obviously it doesn't improve people's taste.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis