Greatest Rock Album of All Time

C

Colonel_Tomb

Audioholic Intern
Rob Babcock said:
How "far" do I have to "get", Col Tomb? :confused: Saying they're worse than Styx is hardly bashing, but luckily I don't expect criticizing those more overrated bands to transport me anywhere. Styx isn't great by any stretch, but the fact that the man who animates Homer Simpson dislikes them isn't exactly damning criticism.
A lot further than this. I hope you live a long life, but the Stones will be ranked as one of the greatest rock 'n' roll bands long after you and I are dead. (Styx/Kansas/Boston/Foreigner/Journey, on the other hand will be trivia questions, and answers won't be flattering.) It's OK, obviously, to not like anybody you want, but to deny the importance and influence of certain artists is disengenuous. I've never been particularly fond of Michael Jackson, for instance, but his importance and significance to the R&B genre is enormous, and you'll never see me question that. Similar thing with Pink Floyd -- I like 'em OK, but I don't think they're anywhere near as good as they're purported to be, especially among their (large) cult following. But I give them their due, because they earned it.

But none of this is applicable to Styx/Kansas/Boston/Foreigner/Journey, because they were pure corporate-rock, studio-craft creations, Michael Bolton with synthesized bombast. The Sex Pistols, with one record, had a million times more influence than all those bands combined. That's 'cause the Pistols -- convoluted as they were -- were the real deal. The only thing that keeps Styx/Kansas/Boston/Foreigner/Journey in the public psyche at all is -- guess what? -- "classic-rock" radio (that would be Clear Channel and co). Perfectly appropriate.

Rob Babcock said:
I'd like to meet one intelligent member of AH who doesn't snort out loud when reading Rolling Stones Top 100 albums of all time. But they're a great magazine, right? PUH-LEAZE! :rolleyes:
Actually, I think Rolling Stone has been a sellout for about 30 years. Who on earth calls that a "great magazine"? But take note that their 500 greatest albums list wasn't a product of Rolling Stone per se; it was the result of a survey of writers, musicians, producers and the like. Anybody with any sense is gonna look at that list and say, "Yeah, there's some great stuff in there."

Rob Babcock said:
Mark Twain said a classic is something everyone wants to have read but no one wants to read, and that translates pretty damn well to many of the "classic" albums listed by many critics.
Mark Twain was referring to "The Deerslayer"; he never got to listen to "Exile on Main Street."

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

"The Deerslayer" will be a 'great' movie long after you're dead. Just words, CT. The Rolling Stones have put out some great songs, but they've also got as much corporate music as any band that's ever lived. Didn't 'Steel Wheels" have a coupon for $1 off all Coke products on the back? ;)

Anyway, you're dragging this pretty far afield- the topic is "the Greatest Album", not worst or overrated, etc. There is a thread for that alread. We can even start yet another one. Either would probably be better than letting this one run ever further off topic.

5STARTS

Audiophyte
Led Zeppelin Iv Is Totally The Best Album-rock And Roll, Black Dog, The Battle Of Evermore, Stairway To Heaven, Misty Mountain Hop, When The Levee Breaks- Come On This Is The Best Album Ever And Happens To Be By The Best Band Ever :)

W

WishUWereHere

Audiophyte
Greatest Rock Band............

Hello, I'm new here....kind of tripped onto the site as I have gotten places most of my life....some I remember, others well, like I said some I remember.
As you can see hence the name (An Old Floyd Fan) but I am more in favor of DSOTM no doubt, the most innovative, and lirics second to none album especially for the time. Can't imagine or have seen any bashing of this group or any of their albums, to bad they didn't cure my 7 year itch with a new album.
Like to mention some other groups as in CSN&Y, The Band, Robin Trower, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull. Not trying to change the thread but there is my opion some mighty strong talent out there: Dave Mathews Band(prior to 2001 Dave has lately gone estray) but haven't we all?,Tool, Radio Head. I will sit and wait for your reply, thanks :rolleyes:

3beanlimit

Junior Audioholic
You know.....really it's too hard to say.

Would it have to depend on the albums influence on all other bands? How much it sold?

For me, it would have to be how many times I've heard it and the enjoyment I get every time i listen to it.

That would narrow it down to about 70 or 80 albums..

RJB

RJB

Audioholic
Zeppelin IV rules!

By far the best album ever with the best rock n' roll song ever produced! It's such a great song that I don't even have to mention it's name here except to say...all that glitters is GOLD!

voodoothunder

voodoothunder

Audiophyte
HA, ok...

1) AC/DC Back in Black, Highway to Hell, Powerage
2) Rolling Stones Let it Bleed, Beggars, Sticky and Exile
3) Springsteen Born to Run, Darkness and Born in the U.S.A.

These albums are Rock Perfection.

Any good music must be rooted in that 'Chuck Berry' thing. Something that I'm starting to get into more and more. It all goes back to Roll Over Beethoven.

voodoothunder

voodoothunder

Audiophyte
WishUWereHere said:
As you can see hence the name (An Old Floyd Fan) but I am more in favor of DSOTM no doubt, the most innovative, and lirics second to none album especially for the time.
Acutally, I would take the Album Wish You Were Here over The Wall any day. I went through my Pink Floyd phase and I still love them. But they're too combustible for me. They hate each other. Same with CCR. They were a great band, now they won't even talk to each other.

For me, the Greatest Band has always been AC/DC. They're reliable, you know they love what they do and just Angus Young's guitar style is incredible.

The best new band is definetly The White Stripes.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Best album? I'll use the definition someone else used. It's music that you never tire of. Music that amazes you today as much as it did the first time you heard it.

Studio

Captain Beyond (contains some of the greatest guitar riffs ever, the album is continuous and flowing with songs blending and reprising. There is really only one break in the music and that's simply because albums had two sides and they needed a place to stop)

Uriah Heep -- Look at Yourself (a wonderful blend of hard rock and prog, this band reached it's peak with this album and set the standard by which all other prog metal should be judged)

Journey (yes, Journey. Whoever said "These bands probably sold 50 bezillion records collectively, but they never made a record that even matters, let alone one that ranks among the greats." never heard Journey's first album. This group formed shortly after Santana III and were mainly a jam band. Greg Rolie on keyboards, Neal Schon on guitar and Anlsey Dunbar on drums, this band rocked)

Pink Floyd -- Dark Side of the Moon (there's a reason this album was on the charts for something like 20 years)

Beatles -- Abbey Road (their last album was their greatest, even if it was pretty much McCartney's baby)

Live

Deep Purple -- Made in Japan (standards like Smoke on the Water and Highway Star take on almost jazz-like qualities as the band simply takes off and jams)

David Bowie -- David Live (songs like 1984, Suffregate City achieve greatness as new musical elements and timings are added)

Woodstock (awesome performances by bands as diverse as Canned Heat, Joan Baez, CSN, and CSN&Y, The Who, Joe Cocker, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, Sly and the Family Stone, and Hendrix make this album as special and magical as the event itself. The success of this album also opened up the market for every live album to come)

D

drogulus

Audioholic Intern
Live and studio all jumbled up:

Mothers of Invention........Absolutely Free
Allman Bros.....................Live at Fillmore East
Spirit.............................Family that Plays Together
Pink Floyd.......................Meddle
Who..............................The Who Sell Out
Cream............................Wheels of Fire

Outsider choices:

Outsideinside...................Blue Cheer (among candidates for worst as well) :eek:
Quicksilver Messinger Svc..Happy Trails (live)
Velvet Undergound...........White Light/White Heat :cool:

T

tes918

Enthusiast
Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells a Story"
Paul Simon's "Graceland"
Carly Simon's "Coming Around Again"
U2 "The Joshua Tree"

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
It's a toss up for me between Pink Floyd The dark side of the moon and metallica master of puppets for me

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Well nothing listed in this last page of threads,i would rate as greatest as in a wow factor. Laugh as you might,but maybe Meet the beatles. Most the stuff thats been listed was just another album released. When the beatles released there first,it was front page news. Everyone and i mean everyone talked about them and the music. Old people,little kids,.non-music lovers. Someone tell me whens the last time a album did this,to the world? Not the stones,PF,LZ or any of those. Maybe you had to be there.

B

brushro

Audioholic
best of all time

just two of MY favorites-

Springsteen-Darkness On the Edge Of Town

Dave Mason-Mariposa De Oro

R

RMK!

?

I can only hope a lot of the CRAP that was suggested here was tongue and cheek... More likely head up ( | ).

Only two people mentioned the Beatles???

Of course, Styx was in a league of their own (BUSH!). Why not RAT (the great Rat Droppings album) or Journey, or the Jefferson Starship (Mickey "Your So Vain" Thomas iteration). Glad to see Steeley Dan (that pretentious bunch of elevator music makers) made it and Wings over America??? are you friggin kidding me... Silly Love Songs... (John Lennon rolling over in his grave).

Are you people on drugs??? Naw, if you were, your musical taste would be much better.

I gotta admire the guy who said Pavarotti

RANT OVER

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Well surely this is all personal opinion.

No real best of all time but a few of my favorites.

The Obvious--The Wall = Pink Floyd
Steve Vai - Flexable
2 Yngwie Malmsteen Ablums - Rising Force & Marching Out
Rolling Stones - There Satanic Majesties Request
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance (happens to be the only live album I like)
2 The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour & Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Madonna - The Immaculate Collection (surely most know that Justify My Love is a way to test your subs)

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell
Corbin Hanner - B&W Photograph and Just Another Hill

~Bob

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis