Greatest Rock Album of All Time

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
The Beatles

Obviously, the greatest rock album of all time came from the greatest rock band of all time: THE BEATLES. (For those of you who need to be told, their self-titled album is often referred to as "the white album", probably because self-titled albums can result in confusion, as when one refers to "the Beatles", one could be referring to either the band or the album.)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Pyrrho said:
Obviously, the greatest rock album of all time came from the greatest rock band of all time: THE BEATLES. (For those of you who need to be told, their self-titled album is often referred to as "the white album", probably because self-titled albums can result in confusion, as when one refers to "the Beatles", one could be referring to either the band or the album.)
Greatest rock album??? Maybe the most popular...not the "greatest" (unless you were a 14 year old, bubble gum chewing, girly screamer). And, if we can agree on a small categorization...the Beatles were basically pop, not rock. :p

S

Snarl

Audioholic
I don't think there's any such thing as a Best Album or Best Band, music in many ways is about the moment or the mood and as such here's some I come back to time and again :)

Supertramp: Crime of the Century
Black Sabbath: Paranoid, Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here, Dark Side Of The Moon
Genesis: Selling England By The Pound, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Alice Cooper: Love It To Death, Killer
Led Zepplin: I, II & IV
Yes: Fragile
Cat Stevens: Tea For Tillerman, Teaser And The Firecat
Klaatu: Hope
Moody Blues: Search For The Lost Chord
Rush: 2112, A Farewell To Kings
Bachman Turner Overdrive: Not Fragile

I could go on and on the more I think of it :)

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Here's my fab five:

1) Santana - Abraxous
2) Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
3) U2 - Joshua Tree
4) Steely Dan - Aja
5) Rush - Moving Pictures

M

macersl

Audioholic Intern
My Favs (What I think of on the spot)

Television - Marquee Moon
The Replacements - Let It Be, Tim
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Husker Du - New Day Rising
Ween - Chocolate & Cheese
Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy
Stones - Exile
Clash - London Calling
Beatles - Revolver

M

macersl

Audioholic Intern
RhapsodyInBlack said:
slayer - reign in blood......after all these years, i still love this album and i'm still amazed at the brutality and aggression that just screams out of the speakers at you. This release still has not been matched in intensity, in my opinion, by any other 'popular' metal band to this day..as much as i love metallica, slayer pretty much mops up the floor with them because of this release alone.
Couldn't agree more. Reign and Puppets are the best two slabs of metal ever.

B

beerman

Audiophyte
In no perticular order1) smashing pumpkins-siamese dream 2) pink floyd-dark side 3)zepp4 4) doors-L.A. woman 5) steely dan-aja 6) yes-fragile 7)stones-let it bleed 8) stones-some girls 9) pixies-doolittle 10) allman bros-filmore.

JLBNYC

Audiophyte
greatest album

cant pick just one -
The Who -Whos Next; Quadrophenia
Pink Floyd -Dark Side of the Moon; Animals; Wish You Were Here
Stones - Sticky Fingers; Exile; Beggers Banquet
Zep - Physical Graffiti; Houses of the Holy; Zep 1-III (ok, the whole catalogue except Coda and In through the out door)
Radiohead- OK COmputer; The Bends
Bowie - Diamond Dogs; Ziggy
Beatles; White Album; REvolver
First three Ramones albums
Clash - London Calling

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Wow!!

You can tell most peoples age by chosen albums:D
Three come to mind:
1)Sgt.Pepper's by the Beattles
2)Fourth album by Zeppelin
3)DSOTM by PINK FLOYD

Last edited:
J

JKL1960

Audioholic
So many great albums. So many great bands. I have to mention a few.

Yes - Yessongs
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus (*One of the best live albums ever)
Paul Mcartney and Wings - Venus and Mars
April Wine - Electric Jewels

and, maybe the best album ever:

David Lindley - El Rayo-X

My favourite Pink Floyd album is probably Meddle.

My favourite album (but not rock) is Frank Zappa - The Yellow Shark.

How could I forget Van Halen - Van Halen

K

kaltorak1964

Audiophyte
my 2 cents

I am a big Floyd fan so I have to say it is Dark side of the moon, but I have a couple others that are in my top few..

1.Dark side of the Moon
2.Zepp 4
3. Thin Lizzy "Jail Break" love this album, one of the few that I think I had on every medium.
4 Dont remember them being a corp. band, but I grew up listening to them REO Speed Wagon REO Live
5 And for backseat nostaligia Boston "Boston" and I know that he doesnt qualify as a rock band but Seagers Night Moves was playing so much on the radio when I was in the backseat with my girl that it ranks high on my list as well.
The Outlaws all of them.
LIVE
Cheap Trick Budakhan
Lizzy Live and Dangerous

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hm, haven't posted in this one, M.. U... S... T... P... O... S... T...!

1.)The Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island, Burn
2.)Poison The Well - You Come Before You
3.)Thrice - Artist In The Ambulance
4.)Death By Stereo - Into The Valley Of Death
5.)Alexisonfire - Watch Out!
6.)Atreyu - Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses
7.)The Fall Of Troy - Doppleganger
8.)Killswitch Engage - Alive Or Just Breathing
9.)Every Time I Die - Gutter Phenomonon
10.)Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled

Thats enough.

SheepStar

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Hm, I usually try not to but these types of threads are always strangely compelling...

I've never been one that's good at categorizing music but I guess that some of these can only be considered "Rock" by quite a stretch of the imagination. ;)

So here's my current list in no particular order - it should be noted that this list changes a lot but some entries, like Floyd, will remain indefinitely;

- A lot of post-psychedelic Floyd when Roger Waters was still around including The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Final Cut.
- Amused to Death by Roger Waters.
- 2112 by Rush (I have this on vinyl back in the UK and I haven’t heard it for an extremely long time. I really should get around to buying a CD of it).
- Get Behind Me Satan by White Stripes (a new fav for the car).
- 18 by Moby (Also quite a new addition and is a true classic).

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Woodstock!!

Some of the finest rock music ever made by some of the best rock musicians that ever lived. :) ....

Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Ten Years After, CSN&Y, Country Joe, Paul Butterfield, Joe Cocker, Santana, Canned Heat, Arlo Guthrie, etc. etc. etc!!!! :cool:

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
Graoat?

Greatest rock album of all time? Depends on what day you ask and what mood I'm in. Like trying to decide the greatest all time book, movie, play, wine, or NFL quarterback...it's fun to talk about, but ultimately a useless idea. I've listened to all Pink Floyd this week...Umaguma, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, Division Bell, Dark Side, The Wall, Momentary Lapse of Reason...and each one was the GRAOAT while I was listening to it. The week before was a Steely Dan week...Katy Lied, Countdown to Ecstasy, Aja, Gaucho, Pretzel Logic, Royal Scam, Everything Must Go, Two Against Nature, Fagen's "Nightfly" - and got the same GRAOAT feeling with each one. Next week I'm trying to decide between all Bob Dylan or all Talking Heads, or both. Does anyone else out there agree with me on the futility of picking a GRAOAT?

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
MY Top Ten In No Particular Order

Led Zeppelin 1
Black Sabbath - Sabbotage
Kiss - Alive 1
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic (Well, I HAVE to pick one)
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman (and anything LIVE by Ozzy)
Metallica - Metallica (black album)
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Greatest Hits (I have an ORIGINAL vinyl pressing)
Nirvana - Nevermind
Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I just never got it with PF so DSOTM does nothing at all for me. I guess its a taste you need to work on.

Starmax

Starmax

Full Audioholic
Dsotm

Funny you should mention Dark Side otm...I'm listening to it right now. There's just something other-wordly about it. Not very warm & fuzzy, almost alien in feel. Transcendent. Maybe that's its appeal, dunno. Whatever it is, it seeps deep into a level of the psyche that is rarely penetrated. That's the best I can explain it, even though it really doesn't, just more cosmic debris.

However, it DOES help to listen to it on multi-channel SACD. Loud. Very loud. But then I was blown away when I heard it for the first time back in 1972 on a cheesy turntable and bad speakers. So there's something more than visionary engineering going on when it's been on the charts longer than any recording in history.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis