O

oldguy

Audiophyte
My daughter gave me a new CD for Christmas called "Jersey Boys Original Broadway Recording". That cd is awesome! It sounds like a 5.1 recording to me, but it is a regular CD. My Pioneer DVD player reads it as a regular cd so it is not SACD, DVD-A, or DTS. It has great bass and the music sure sounds like 5.1. This CD, to me, sounds as good as any of the multi-channel CD’s I have heard. I have Pink Floyd DSOTM, Beck's Sea Change, Eagles Hotel California and some other multi-channel CD's. This one appears to me to be the same caliber. Has anyone else listened to the Jersey Boys CD? I would like to verify that I have not gone bonkers and just hearing things. Maybe I am just getting caught up in the songs and overlooking the quality of the recording.

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
Oldguy

I never heard of them & I live in Jersey, if that's where they're from?. If it sounds that good to you I will be buying my own copy too! Always on the look out for great sounding music. Thanks

O

oldguy

Audiophyte
Jersey Boys is the title of a Broadway Show that is a smash hit. It is the story about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. According to the insert that came with the cd, the top recording artists of the 1960's--when rock 'n' roll came of age--were: 1) The Beetles, 2)The Supremes, 3) Elvis Presley, 4) The Rolling Stones, 5) The 4 Seasons.

Some of the songs on the cd are: Sherry, Big Girls Don't Cry, Walk Like a Man, Oh, What a Night, Can't take my eyes off of you, rag doll, and others. All of us old guys know the words to most of their songs by heart when they start playing the first few notes. It takes me back to my high school days, puts a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. I still hear their songs on the radio today on some of the oldie stations.

When I played this CD, it sounded to me like an SACD--extremely clear and good sound coming from ALL speakers (center, fronts, and surrounds) as well as excellent bass. If I didn't know otherwise, I would swear it was an SACD. Maybe my familarity with the music has just given me a halo effect on the quality of the recording. That's why I was hoping someone else has listened to it.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
So is this a Broadway musical soundtrack with someone else doing the songs or have they incorporated the ORIGINAL songs by the 4 Seasons into the soundtrack?

If the songs are just "remakes" I probably wouldn't be interested no matter how good the sound quality.

W

W_Harding

Junior Audioholic
Surround from two channels?

My neighbor recently came over to my house and brought the new Mariah Carey disc "The Emancipation of Mimi" Island 80005785-00 with him to play on my system. We just played track 2 "We Belong Together" and I was amazed by the way this two-channel stereo disc sounded. Mariah was planted dead center but when the back up singing started up it seemed to be spread way beyond the sides of the speakers and gave an immersive effect that sounded just as if the surround speakers were playing.

Musically, I would rate this disc a solid 3+ on a scale of 1 to 10. The engineering that created the three dimensional sound field is something else. I may even break down and buy this disc just to have a reference to show how big a sound field can be created using just two channels. Very interesting!

Musically, Jersey Boys sounds like a better bet.

O

oldguy

Audiophyte
Shadow_Ferret said:
So is this a Broadway musical soundtrack with someone else doing the songs or have they incorporated the ORIGINAL songs by the 4 Seasons into the soundtrack?

If the songs are just "remakes" I probably wouldn't be interested no matter how good the sound quality.
It's the Broadway show sound track. It is the cast that actually sings. I saw links to the opening night interview with Frank Valli. He said "these guys are better than we (4 Seasons) were. They can sing better and dance better". The show is a live show with new actors. They sing the old songs. No voice overs. The songs are the same songs, but sung by the actors in the show.

Bob

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis