Got that Upgrade Itch

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
Hello All,

Last year I purchased a SVS PB-12 NSD sub after much help and thinking from users here. I have been itching to replace my Polk Tsi200s and Polk Cs20.

I am looking for the speaker that is best for music.

I have been torn on whether I should be getting towers or bookshelfs with stands but due to size constraints I am currently leaning more towards bookshelfs.

My local dealer is a DefTech/Goldenear authorized seller, and I have been looking at some bookshelf speakers from both of those companies.

The two I am thinking about are the GoldenEar Aon3 and the Def Tech Studiomonitor 65. From people who have heard either of these what are your opinions?

Also, do people think towers would be a better option for me in $1,000 price range? If so, what are some models people would recommend (don't have to def tech or goldenear)?

I would appreciate any responses thank you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I say keep your options wide open and audition as many different brands as possible.

Focal, Dynaudio, Revel, KEF, B&W, etc.

I beleive KEF has an in-home audition program. Some dealers may let you borrow their bookshelf speakers too.

If you have the space, get the towers.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Cant beat these deals for under $1000... I would go with towers since bookshelfs on stands dont take up much less room... and with music the larger cabinets really are worth the extra space and investment..

FOCAL Chorus 814V 716v Dual 6½ Floorstanding Speakers Gloss Black Pair | Accessories4less
they also sell the center...

I love these... WHARFEDALE EVO2-40 TOWER SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct
the Diamond center will match timber with these, but I forget which one, a quick call to music direct or Wharfedale could sort that out..

I have a local dealer that will ship you a pair of Opus bookshelfs for around $1000, they also sound amazing....

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
I say keep your options wide open and audition as many different brands as possible.

Focal, Dynaudio, Revel, KEF, B&W, etc.

I beleive KEF has an in-home audition program. Some dealers may let you borrow their bookshelf speakers too.

If you have the space, get the towers.
What is the advantage going to be from towers instead of bookshelfs?

Also, do you have any specific model numbers I should take a look at from those brands?

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
Cant beat these deals for under $1000... I would go with towers since bookshelfs on stands dont take up much less room... and with music the larger cabinets really are worth the extra space and investment..

FOCAL Chorus 814V 716v Dual 6½ Floorstanding Speakers Gloss Black Pair | Accessories4less
they also sell the center...

I love these... WHARFEDALE EVO2-40 TOWER SPEAKERS (PR) at Music Direct
the Diamond center will match timber with these, but I forget which one, a quick call to music direct or Wharfedale could sort that out..

I have a local dealer that will ship you a pair of Opus bookshelfs for around $1000, they also sound amazing....
Both of those look appealing, especially for the price. Is my Marantz Sr5005 going to have any issues driving them? Are they good musical speakers?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Both of those look appealing, especially for the price. Is my Marantz Sr5005 going to have any issues driving them? Are they good musical speakers?
How big is your room and what is your normal listening levels? For example a with the wharfedale evo2-40's you need about 64 watts to listen 12 ft away from the speaker at 92db {3db headroom}... They are 6 ohm so most AVR's will be fine with them, I have mine on an XPA 2 which is 300w per channel and 4 ohm stable , But NEVER use 1/10th of that...

I have to say I tried a lot of speakers and the Wharfedales impress me, they sound good with anything I play, I have them paired with subs, and crossed at 100, but I am very happy with them... I tryed some Kefs and a few others, and for the sale price they will be tough to beat, actually even at $2000 a pair they arent a bad choice {although for $2000 the ascend towers are attractive}, the sale just makes the evo's a no brainer..

Also with towers you get more cabinet area so normally more accuracy and clearity in the lower ranges... IMO most of the bookshelfs I have heard need subs for good music, but there are some very capable home theater bookshelfs out there...
I like the mids that towers produce vs the bookshelfs and smaller speakers {the ascend sierra and 340se's are both acceptions to this rule, pretty nice mids from both, a lot of depth}

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is the advantage going to be from towers instead of bookshelfs?

Also, do you have any specific model numbers I should take a look at from those brands?
Towers generally can play louder, more dynamic. They also don't require speaker stands. :D

Like this Dynaudio tower on AudiogoN:

Dynaudio Audience 82 Full Range Speakers | Full range | League City, Texas 77573 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Msrp $2700, made in Denmark. Excellent condition. Offer him $1,000 delivered (63% off msrp).

I have the Dynaudio X32 (MSRP $3000). They sound great.

You can also buy the KEF Q900 new from Vanns for about $1200 delivered (phone purchase, $1800 msrp, made in China).

That Focal 716 (made in France) for $900 from Accessories4Less is also a great idea.

I have the Focal 826V ($2700). They sound great also.

Last edited:
N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
How big is your room and what is your normal listening levels? For example a with the wharfedale evo2-40's you need about 64 watts to listen 12 ft away from the speaker at 92db {3db headroom}... They are 6 ohm so most AVR's will be fine with them, I have mine on an XPA 2 which is 300w per channel and 4 ohm stable , But NEVER use 1/10th of that...

I have to say I tried a lot of speakers and the Wharfedales impress me, they sound good with anything I play, I have them paired with subs, and crossed at 100, but I am very happy with them... I tryed some Kefs and a few others, and for the sale price they will be tough to beat, actually even at $2000 a pair they arent a bad choice {although for $2000 the ascend towers are attractive}, the sale just makes the evo's a no brainer..

Also with towers you get more cabinet area so normally more accuracy and clearity in the lower ranges... IMO most of the bookshelfs I have heard need subs for good music, but there are some very capable home theater bookshelfs out there...
I like the mids that towers produce vs the bookshelfs and smaller speakers {the ascend sierra and 340se's are both acceptions to this rule, pretty nice mids from both, a lot of depth}
My current room is quite small, but being younger I move from place to place every year or so. I am just looking to get something to upgrade over these Polks.

I do like listening at higher levels and want to make sure whichever pair I get will be adequately driven.

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
Towers generally can play louder, more dynamic. They also don't require speaker stands. :D

Like this Dynaudio tower on AudiogoN:

Dynaudio Audience 82 Full Range Speakers | Full range | League City, Texas 77573 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Msrp $2700, made in Denmark. Excellent condition. Offer him $1,000 delivered (63% off msrp).

I have the Dynaudio X32 (MSRP $3000). They sound great.

You can also buy the KEF Q900 new from Vanns for about $1200 delivered (phone purchase, $1800 msrp, made in China).

That Focal 716 (made in France) for $900 from Accessories4Less is also a great idea.

I have the Focal 826V ($2700). They sound great also.
The Focals do seem interesting but on their website it didn't say that Accessories 4 Less is an authorized dealer? Is this something I should be concerned about?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Focals do seem interesting but on their website it didn't say that Accessories 4 Less is an authorized dealer? Is this something I should be concerned about?
Just call them to confirm it - plus it is listed as having a 5 yr
manufacturer warranty. AC4L is a good company.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think A4L just became a Focal dealer, so the Focal website has not been updated.

Now we just need A4L to be authorized for Dynaudio, Revel, B&W, etc. :D

47% off msrp is great, especially when it is from an authorized dealer!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
It says 5 year on the sight, they are a good company to deal with, they have really friendly cs.... The have only had focals for about a month I believe...

Also check out the wharfedale evo2-40's and Evo2-30's tey are great values rite now...

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
I think A4L just became a Focal dealer, so the Focal website has not been updated.

Now we just need A4L to be authorized for Dynaudio, Revel, B&W, etc. :D

47% off msrp is great, especially when it is from an authorized dealer!
I think I'm leaning towards the Focals right now from Accesories 4 Less. I've ordered from them before and was satisfied. Plus the price is hard to beat.

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
What would the sound signature and or qualities be of a Focal speaker?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Clean and open, smooth and detailed with good definition.
If you are not use to good detail and definition, then it may
take awhile to adjust to the sound. They are not harsh, edgy
or sharp sounding - however, poor recordings will be exposed.

Give them room to breathe and operate for good imaging >>
and a nice soundstage.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I've heard some Focals and they sound good... Definetly nice to get a $1700 set of speakers for $900, that is for sure... Thats why I pulled the trigger on my Wharfedale's, I talked to people online that spent $2000 on them and were happy, so I figured at $800 I should be happy with them, and they blew me away...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would like to think some of their $190,000 Grande Utopia sound has trickled down to all their speakers. I believe in that trickle down effect. :D

Of course, the lower line Focal won't sound as good as their $190,000 speakers. But it's the same philosophy and basic technology gained from all that researching and developing their $190,000 speakers.

I just got my brand new Focal 826V. They sound clear, smooth, with nice soundstage and image. In a word, they sound great to me. :D

M

maple2

Audiophyte
I got the focal 814V a week ago.
The tweeter make a lot difference compared with polk monitor 70.
Many things clear up.

Firstly, This is the second pair of speakers I had, so I can not judge how good it is, but judging from what other folks say on the internet , I bought it.
Secondly, I use marantz sr5005 to drive them, so its potential is not fully realized.
So now I am not sure whether the improvement is worth $900, but I lean to believe it's a good pair of speakers and it will be worthwhile after I upgrade the amp.

I plan to get a tube amp to drive them, and use the dac in sr 5005.

How much improvement can I have, if I upgrade to a tube amp like "Bob Latino Dynaco ST 70" or a Chinese tube single-ended amp "Mr liang 845-5."?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis