Got my new sub , did i mess up ? it fits its cool !, not in the plan, help

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
I plan on ordering a HSU VFT2 mk5 as Gene perscirbed for my ht room , but my consern is, at that time i was not putting sub in connecting zone 2 (,bar ) we were thinking just book shelf at that time for that zone, Then i decided sub ,opps my bad , To make matters worse the only space i have is in the corner behind a open door corner wedge, so i did the best thing and i just unpacked a SVS PC -2000 and WOW, its really big and it fits and its cool !! but should i still get the HSU vft2 mk5 for the other room as persciibed , will they sound ok when playing same music in HT & bar or be all goofy like mixing perscription meds , seems like alot of sub for a 12x12 room but i am a bassaholic

bar is 12x12x8 open with 7.5 foot opening into HT romm 17x 14 x 8 ,
Bar has emp ew 30 speakers and now svs pc 2000
ht is 5.1 or can be 5.2 lator
can not sound test as all things have not showen up yet )-: just trying to get every thing so the pro audio guy can come into hook up measure and tune

stick with the origional plan or another pc 2000 ?
Pssssss dont tell Gene i meesed up his perscription ok

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PC2000 and VTF2 mk5 should play nice together. You will want to run the VTF2 in EQ1 mode with one port plugged, this will make it tuned to nearly the same point as the PC2000. The VTF2 should compliment the PC2000 nicely since it has quite a bit more mid bass capability. The PC2000 does have more deep bass headroom, so at 30 Hz and below the Hsu sub will not perform at quite the same level. Another PC2000 would be good as well, that will give you better performance at 16 to 31 hz, but at the cost of headroom at 40 Hz and above. Either combination would work fine.

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
will the HSU VFT 3 mk 5 hp be a better pic ?

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
First thing I am going to say is: Buying an SVS sub will never be considered a "mess up"

Given the vast difference between the HSU and the PC-2000, integrating the two together would be difficult, even with HW bass management. It of course can be done but you might end up cancelling out the strengths of each and end up with a mediocre final result.

You have one PC-2000, grab another, miniDSP them (I just received my miniDSP 2x4 HD and am astonished with the prelim results), and enjoy.

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
I never intended to imply buying a svs was a mess up , my mixing was the mess and pickle i am in
as i deviated from the original plan and the SVS was and after thought and the only thing that will fit in the bar in the one spot , and it looks like a very cool piece and the guys there were great , just want to get whats right for the other room first time around .
Whats a mini dsp ? , will i need that ? as the subs will be controlled buy a Marantz 8802a pre amp ,

I am having a pro audio guy hook up measure and tune the system , he is booked for over a year on large jobs and is going to squeeze me in when ready ,and if he was using what he wanted it s would be very cool but $$$$$$ so and i plan on paying him well to tune , and he is cool with that and been very cool the whole way , but I do want to respect his time and not bother with to many stupid questions and be that guy !
That is what AH is for , The smart guys passing on their coolness and experienced advice right ?

Since I joined Audioholics ,every company that was recommended buy Gene or On a Forum. I have spent $$$ with many and all have great customer service and products , RBH guys are rock stars like their product , SVS , Emotiva ,Marantz , Acessoires for less . Sanus , Blue jean cable , I went there m, those guys are great , No regrets and a big Thanks to all its been a process to get this all figured out !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I never intended to imply buying a svs was a mess up , my mixing was the mess and pickle i am in
as i deviated from the original plan and the SVS was and after thought and the only thing that will fit in the bar in the one spot , and it looks like a very cool piece and the guys there were great , just want to get whats right for the other room first time around .
Whats a mini dsp ? , will i need that ? as the subs will be controlled buy a Marantz 8802a pre amp ,

I am having a pro audio guy hook up measure and tune the system , he is booked for over a year on large jobs and is going to squeeze me in when ready ,and if he was using what he wanted it s would be very cool but $$$$$$ so and i plan on paying him well to tune , and he is cool with that and been very cool the whole way , but I do want to respect his time and not bother with to many stupid questions and be that guy !
That is what AH is for , The smart guys passing on their coolness and experienced advice right ?

Since I joined Audioholics ,every company that was recommended buy Gene or On a Forum. I have spent $$$ with many and all have great customer service and products , RBH guys are rock stars like their product , SVS , Emotiva ,Marantz , Acessoires for less . Sanus , Blue jean cable , I went there m, those guys are great , No regrets and a big Thanks to all its been a process to get this all figured out !
Curious, is your installer just going to tweak a run of Audyssey XT32 or are you paying for an Audyssey Pro setup? The XT32/SubEQ should do well with the two subs, even if they're different....

This is one of the latest minidsp devices often used for subs (also available as a board/kit) https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
My remark about SVS not being a "mess up" was more to enforce to you that you did a positive thing, so no need to worry!

miniDSP is a company that specializes in DSPs (digital signal processors). The 2x4 HD model mentioned by lovinthehd is the unit I just received. You would connect the single output from your AVR to the miniDSP and then run the two cables to each subwoofer. It allows you to EQ each subwoofer individually before the AVR does its thing with the LFE channel.

People talk about running two subs like it is a homerun every time but if the subs are not calibrated you may end up with the same performance as a single sub just at twice the price. The miniDSP allows you to extract the full potential from each individual sub before summing them together for a balanced and powerful result.

Good subwoofer = Good subwoofer
Good subwoofer + miniDSP = Great subwoofer

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
First thing I am going to say is: Buying an SVS sub will never be considered a "mess up"

Given the vast difference between the HSU and the PC-2000, integrating the two together would be difficult, even with HW bass management. It of course can be done but you might end up cancelling out the strengths of each and end up with a mediocre final result.

You have one PC-2000, grab another, miniDSP them (I just received my miniDSP 2x4 HD and am astonished with the prelim results), and enjoy.
The differences between the PC-2000 and VTF2 are not really that much of a concern. In fact, they would compliment each other if set up correctly. In frequencies at 40 Hz and above, they are both amp limited and very clean. The VTF2 does not have as much clean output as the PC2000 at 30 Hz and below, but its limiter is very good and it will not bottom out. A VTF-2/ PC2000 pair will not quite have as much clean headroom below 30 Hz, but it will have more headroom at 40 Hz and above vs two PC2000s. Either combination is a winner.

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
to the question about the installer .i am pretty shore he uses soft ware and metters, mics to set up a system
and i could have missinnterpted, he takes also takes reading for set up the tv pitchure also snd the tv i have i can use his settings or make my own and switch between the 2 ,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
to the question about the installer .i am pretty shore he uses soft ware and metters, mics to set up a system
and i could have missinnterpted, he takes also takes reading for set up the tv pitchure also snd the tv i have i can use his settings or make my own and switch between the 2 ,
Audio and video calibrations are different...you can likely do as well as the installer with the Audyssey XT32 built into your unit, but if he's bringing (and charging) for the extra Audyssey Pro audio calibrations (hopefully more than one, let alone video)....personally I just do my own audio (and have my own colorimeter for video), no installers near me that have better knowledge or gear than I do....but that's part of living in the boonies :)

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
Learning how to do it yourself will require an investment of time, patience, and $$ on a few tools but the biggest benefit is that if you decide to make any changes to your system in the future, you don't have to call a guy to come back down to re-optimize things.

I would recommend adding a good set of noise cancelling headphones to the list of required equipment as any spouse will quickly tire of the endless number of frequency sweeps you will be doing. o_O

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
She has some for hunting and shotting , thanks for tip , and installer said he will school me what to get and how to tune , he is a cool guy seems to know his stuff, and all the oter installers i interviwed were flakes or they were so arrogant from doing super biger jobs they looked down their nose at this small $20k worth of av gear set up

PoutineHIFI

PoutineHIFI

Enthusiast
:oops: If they are turning up their noses to $20k worth, I'd hate to see their reaction to what I am running currently.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
She has some for hunting and shotting , thanks for tip , and installer said he will school me what to get and how to tune , he is a cool guy seems to know his stuff, and all the oter installers i interviwed were flakes or they were so arrogant from doing super biger jobs they looked down their nose at this small $20k worth of av gear set up
Sounds like you found a good guy but obviously installers that look down on $20k worth of gear are simply deserving of a swift kick in the nuts. :)

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
20 % dont sound like they know what they are doing use cheap componants , a few good ones but way to busy , the rest arogant as hell .look down thier nosie at you and try and sell you $$$$ cables and power cords , glad to find this guy , down to earth and treats his customers like i treat mine ,Like people, what a consept

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone who tries to sell you expensive cables and cords you should do just as you did and shut the door in their face. It's audiophoolery and you sniffed it out. Good on you.

S

Steve M

Junior Audioholic
I pulled trigger on HSU ULS mk 2 Ill start there, that is what they recommended Hope it works out

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis