Got my new cell phone today...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Droid X. So far I like it a lot. It is a bit huge and not so pocket friendly but manageable. It has wifi, HDMI output and an 8mp camera that is capable of 720p video. Browsing forums on it now. Battery is good but large screen eats it fast. I considered the dock to connect to TV but it is pretty pricey and doesn't even include the HDMI cable. I will have to check bluejeans ;)

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
Don't forget 8Gb built in storage, expandable with micro sd cards to 32Gb +8. 40Gb of storage on a phone is just great. The droid x is great. My only complaint is no keyboard, but the on screen keyboard is pretty good. If you have a laptop with bluetooth and want free wireless internet, there is an app to let you do it. No paying $30 for 2 Gb a month.:cool:
Hope you enjoy your new phone, I know I will.:D
-Greg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Comes with 16G SD installed in addition to 8 onboard I think. I didn't opt for the hotspot option for $20 on top of data plan but it might be useful at my other place since we don't have web up there yet.

My upgrade was already available so only cost $99.

Matt34

Matt34

My only beef with these touch screen smart phones is that the battery technology isn't there yet to make these a true mobile device in my eyes. My wife has told me that her Droid Eris can't go more than 6-7 hours without having to recharge the battery and that is with BT and wifi turned off. We've only had the phones for four-five months now. Even when new I was lucky to make it an entire day on a single charge.

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
Yeah the battery life can be an issue, that's why you buy a second to keep in your car. I can usually get a day out of a charge on the droid x, but only if I am not constantly using it and use a bluetooth headset. I guess that's why they make car chargers and USB chargers. I wouldn't expect batteries to catch up any time soon. I guess that is just a problem we will have to learn to live with for the time being.
-Greg

Matt34

Matt34

Yeah the battery life can be an issue, that's why you buy a second to keep in your car. I can usually get a day out of a charge on the droid x, but only if I am not constantly using it and use a bluetooth headset. I guess that's why they make car chargers and USB chargers. I wouldn't expect batteries to catch up any time soon. I guess that is just a problem we will have to learn to live with for the time being.
-Greg
Yeah, I usually plug it in on the drive home after work and it does fine. Just a nuisance to have to worry about it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had a Dare for 2 years now and I've learned to work with the whole touchscreen thing. As long as you are browsing for stuff quick and not like reading full email and browsing forums and stuff, you can keep the battery for a few days. If I am using it or talking for long times, it will be only a few hours too. My daughter has the Eris and pretty much plugs it in every day. I just kept my cable with me with the Dare and charged it on whatever PC I was using at the time. The power was out here one day and my phone died, so I plugged it into the laptop and charged it :) I like that they finally started using a standard connection (mini USB) so that I can buy a standard cable at Frys for a few bucks and it is also the same cable that I had from the Dare. The DroidX has a 1450mah battery which is pretty good, but with the 4.3" screen, that battery is probably bare minimum. Seems like they will probably release an extended back and battery down the road.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Jeez, I'm such a luddite.

I'm still lovin' my Mototola Razr V3. I fell in love with those when they first came out and that hasn't changed. I can make calls, receive calls and get text messages. What more does a geezer like me need?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm still lovin' my Mototola Razr V3. I fell in love with those when they first came out and that hasn't changed. I can make calls, receive calls and get text messages. What more does a geezer like me need?
That's probably the majority of what most people use them for, and that would be 90% of my usage too, but there have been times when I could have used some additional features. I had a lower data plan at one time but it was expensive for what it was.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
My only beef with these touch screen smart phones is that the battery technology isn't there yet to make these a true mobile device in my eyes. My wife has told me that her Droid Eris can't go more than 6-7 hours without having to recharge the battery and that is with BT and wifi turned off. We've only had the phones for four-five months now. Even when new I was lucky to make it an entire day on a single charge.
My Droid used to last 2 days and now over 3 with the Android 2.2 release....of course I'm running a custom ROM, which has a lot of optimizations to say the least.....

Matt34

Matt34

My Droid used to last 2 days and now over 3 with the Android 2.2 release....of course I'm running a custom ROM, which has a lot of optimizations to say the least.....
I need to see if she has updated her's, I have a feeling she hasn't.:rolleyes:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I wish I had a cool phone. Everyone I know has one and I am the AV geek of them all yet I don't have one.

On the bright side, I haven't paid for a cell phone in 15 years so I just "accept" whatever my company gives me.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
How do you guys transition from a flip phone to something that big?
That's what's holding me back; where do I put it?....and don't say, "Get a pastel fanny pack like Alex has.":D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Droid X. So far I like it a lot. It is a bit huge and not so pocket friendly but manageable. It has wifi, HDMI output and an 8mp camera that is capable of 720p video. Browsing forums on it now. Battery is good but large screen eats it fast. I considered the dock to connect to TV but it is pretty pricey and doesn't even include the HDMI cable. I will have to check bluejeans ;)
Congrats on the new phone. That would be my choice for a touch screen. The sad thing is a lot of people looking for a cell phone don't even bother doing the research, they assume iPhone is king. Hardly.

I am stuck between this and a Blackberry. I like the functionality of the Blackberry's a lot when it comes to browsing and typing. I don't do that texting crap though.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you guys transition from a flip phone to something that big?
That's what's holding me back; where do I put it?....and don't say, "Get a pastel fanny pack like Alex has.":D
Just toss it in your purse. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis