Got free Yamaha HTiB, need advice on receiver

B

bowtieman81

Enthusiast
Hello all,

I am looking for a bit of advice. The wife and I recently were gifted a Yamaha YHT-397 HTiB system.

This is our first venture into 5.1 home theater, so I set up the system and gave it a go. Without a large home theater background initially we were happy with it. I do think the sub is not too bad, and the reciever is easy to use. However, there are a couple things I would like to improve upon:

1- we have a hard time hearing dialogue and music lyrics
2- overall the sound from the 4 satellites is lacking in quality (it doesn't seem a lot better than the old component system I have in my garage)

I am by no means an audiophile, and I am on military pay so I do need to keep the budget reasonable. Our system is set in a 15x15 foot room and is used for movies and music mainly.

After doing some browsing around here I think my goal is to put together an Infinity Primus setup. I want to do it in stages as money allows. My immediate thinking is to get these items:

PC251 center channel speaker (would prefer the PC351 but it won't fit in our TV stand)
2 P163 bookshelf speakers

Later on I would like to add the P363 towers, but that is probably about a year out. If you guys have different recommendations for speakers I am all ears.

My main question for you guys is the Yamaha receiver I have now. Is it worth keeping? Will it be adequate for powering the speakers I have in mind? If not do you guys have any recommendations on a receiver? If it matters I have no need for sat radio, wifi, or 7.1 sound. I am happy with 5.1 (or 5.2) sound. I would not mind an ipod port, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Did you run the YPAO setup? If not, that might make a noticeable difference in the sound.

From what I can tell, the HTR-3065 receiver is pretty decent. It has some nice features and should have plenty of power for those Primus speakers in a 15x15' room (assuming typical ceiling height).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis